By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - the Blu-ray thread, will go on untill hddvds death.

Interesting article - still nothing but rumors, but maybe something is going to happen soon.

Warner Bros. Weighing HD DVD Offer?

http://www.tvpredictions.com/warner091007.htm

Around the Network

My money is still on a truce once sales reach mainstream, as in both formats sell a few million copies a month, not a couple million over six months.

I just keep noticing marketing strategies keep being opposite on each side. Even video game consoles are more derivative.

It really seems to me that this format war affords trying out different marketing strategies without risking hi-def films entirely. One example is HD-DVD having fewer dual side disc, as that seems to be hurting sales, rather than pulling in DVD owners. Another example is blu-ray using strictly MPEG-2 video, for its familiarity, and then switching to VC-1 and MPEG-4/AVC when the video quality was criticized.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

haha warner is on teh BDA board of directors (not so close relation with hd)... lol It will take more than a day for this to happen if it does(which i doubt bc blu-ray has outsold way over 2 to 1 on the top hd-dvd title (the departed, and 300). They would be fools to loose about 60 - 70% of thier high def income.

Target is increasing shelf space for Blu-ray! Ok this isn't really big news, but they are planning for 2-4X's more shelf space than HD-DVD. A lot of walmarts have a 3:1 ratio as well.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=509

dallas said:
Target is increasing shelf space for Blu-ray! Ok this isn't really big news, but they are planning for 2-4X's more shelf space than HD-DVD. A lot of walmarts have a 3:1 ratio as well.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=509

http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6478217.html

This is the source, and gives space to both sides, although I would have liked quotes from an objective party, since both sides are just blowing smoke in their quotes. Also do you have a link for wal-mart's shelf space?

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Around the Network

I can only say what I've observed at my own walmart, a very very large one. They have about 23 separate BD movies and 8 HD-DVD movies available. Sure, right now HD movies aren't that big....but that's besides the point.

The Target thing is moderately big. It can do a lot to a consumer's perception to see that one section is bigger than another. Target is the second largest retailer in America too. I know shelf space for each is what I pay attention to every time I go in to a store.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Well in walmart by my area HD DVD has more room than blu-ray(to sell stock maybe?) And they are advertising hd dvd's not blu-ray discs.

mM

Intel, formally HD-DVD only, now announce they are going Blu-ray also.

"In a major step toward bringing an end to the much-buzzed-about format war that has pitted HD-DVD technology enthusiasts against the backers of Blu-ray technology, Intel Corp.'s CEO Paul Otellini today said during the Intel Developer Forum opening keynote that the company's fifth-generation Centrino mobile platform codenamed Montevina will have native support for both HD-DVD and Blu-ray media when it launches next year."

http://n4g.com/industrynews/News-68511.aspx

http://www.dvdtown.com/news/price-is-a-factor-in-hd-war/4756

Price IS a factor in HD war

What's New
By Henning Molbaek
FIRST PUBLISHED Sep 19, 2007

The NPD Group recently made a report about consumers' knowledge of HD formats and what were decisive factors.

First, only 52% of all HDTV owners knew about either HD DVD or Blu-ray. This means that both formats really need to pull themselves together to create product awareness. 29% knew about HD DVD and 20% about Blu-ray.

Of interesting note, 62% of those who knew about HD formats said they were waiting for the price to come down, showing that price is key in getting HD sales up.

The cheapest* HD DVD player this fall will be SRP $199 and the cheapest Blu-ray player will be SRP $499.

More numbers can be found here.

*Based on what we know as of Sept. 19, 2007, and based on stand-alone players.

NPD has spoken. This format war isn't anywhere near decided. Yes, the article makes it look good for HD-DVD, but the price of the films is still high for both formats, and blu-ray still has a larger base right now. So, again, this format war is far from over.