By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Everybody's Gold 5 + PS3 pack in Japan

fooflexible said:

I thought for a while this was most likely to occur. But now I think in Japan the ps3 will follow the psp's footsteps and the Wii will follow the DS's footsteps exactly. You have to remember something you can't pretend the 3rd party developers will continue to develop tons of software slated for next year if this system fails to sell even half of what the Wii is doing. I mean it's 7:1 now, with no software competition. Thats starting to look like a vote of no confidence from gamers, if that keeps up by E3 we are going to see tons of new software anounced for the Wii, and by next year all the major players will be hyping huge Wii projects and it'll be hard even despite some great AAA games for them to over throw the foundation the wii has built. Remember the N64's first year when game after game for the n64 was getting canned and moved the ps1, And even despite legendary games like Zelda, Smash Bros., goldeneye, it couldn't catch up. Well it could start to happen this generation.

The PS3 can only go up pretty much from here in Japan. Once some big games (FF,MGS,GT) start rolling out and some JRPGs (White Knights Story) start coming out on the console the numbers will go up drastically.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Around the Network

You know, this is a forum Chubear. If you post something, you just can´t expect people to don´t argue with you if they don´t think you are right. And Japan belongs to Nintendo right now, the DS and the Wii are proving it. PSP sales show which is the real power of those "big" franchises ( MGS, EG, Sonys games, etc).

fooflexible said:

I don't know what your talkin about HappySquirrel, it's clear from your numbers that while the Wii increased from last year it has taken from the DS's percentage, while the psp has increased it's market despite a drop in ps2 hardware. And the ps3 has more then doubled it's share of market percentage from last year, if it continues at that rate every year well it will control the entire market by itself in 4 years. While in the software ranks in 2007 the Wii can't even beat the psp,ps3, and x-box 360 combined. that's pathetic. Not to mentioned the ps3 increased it's software percentage from .7 to 2.8 that's like quadruple man, again at that rate it will control the market in...uh 5 years. quadrupling every year, it will definitly control the market in 5 years, making it basically invincible in japan.

A few things to consider ... the Wii was only available for one month in 2007, the PS3 was availble for 1.5 months and both systems were in short supply. Beyond that the second half of the year will usually allow for some shiting in market share.

My point was the assumption that "Sony owns Japan" is insane considering that Nintendo controls over 66% of the hardware market, software sales on Nintendo systems account for more than 60% of the market, and Nintendo software alone counts for roughly 40% of the market; in Contrast Sony platforms account for (approximately) 25% of the market in terms of hardware, roughly 35% in terms of software sold on platforms, and Sony publishes less than 5% of all software.

At this point in time Nintendo is beyond dominant in Japan

This may be a stupid question, but when is this game coming out?

add me

HappySqurriel said:
fooflexible said:

I don't know what your talkin about HappySquirrel, it's clear from your numbers that while the Wii increased from last year it has taken from the DS's percentage, while the psp has increased it's market despite a drop in ps2 hardware. And the ps3 has more then doubled it's share of market percentage from last year, if it continues at that rate every year well it will control the entire market by itself in 4 years. While in the software ranks in 2007 the Wii can't even beat the psp,ps3, and x-box 360 combined. that's pathetic. Not to mentioned the ps3 increased it's software percentage from .7 to 2.8 that's like quadruple man, again at that rate it will control the market in...uh 5 years. quadrupling every year, it will definitly control the market in 5 years, making it basically invincible in japan.

A few things to consider ... the Wii was only available for one month in 2007, the PS3 was availble for 1.5 months and both systems were in short supply. Beyond that the second half of the year will usually allow for some shiting in market share.

My point was the assumption that "Sony owns Japan" is insane considering that Nintendo controls over 66% of the hardware market, software sales on Nintendo systems account for more than 60% of the market, and Nintendo software alone counts for roughly 40% of the market; in Contrast Sony platforms account for (approximately) 25% of the market in terms of hardware, roughly 35% in terms of software sold on platforms, and Sony publishes less than 5% of all software.

I hope you know my post was all a big fat joke. hence the:. I was merely doing a mock of how people twist and bend numbers to suit there point. Your numbers as I've noticed already pointed to just how much of the Japanese market is owned by Nintendo. It amazes me that not only they have the two best selling systems but they published almost half of the games bought. A figure that I think will rise by year end, when they launch big game after big game. What's also funny is Sony didn't make the top 5 list. People go on about how they have more people developing games then MS and Nintendo and yet they can't even break the top five. At what point do you stop boasting this business blunder. "Yeah we pay 5 times the amount of people and sell 1/5 the games!

Around the Network
fooflexible said:

I thought for a while this was most likely to occur. But now I think in Japan the ps3 will follow the psp's footsteps and the Wii will follow the DS's footsteps exactly. You have to remember something you can't pretend the 3rd party developers will continue to develop tons of software slated for next year if this system fails to sell even half of what the Wii is doing. I mean it's 7:1 now, with no software competition. Thats starting to look like a vote of no confidence from gamers, if that keeps up by E3 we are going to see tons of new software anounced for the Wii, and by next year all the major players will be hyping huge Wii projects and it'll be hard even despite some great AAA games for them to over throw the foundation the wii has built. Remember the N64's first year when game after game for the n64 was getting canned and moved the ps1, And even despite legendary games like Zelda, Smash Bros., goldeneye, it couldn't catch up. Well it could start to happen this generation.

See that's thing, gamers are strickly looking at sales early on as the main factor for dominance this gen which is misleading. The bottom line is the thing that won the console wars for Sony in the PS1 & 2 era weren't initial units shipped or sold, it was their strategy, their philosophy to gaming and gamers. I know you all will jump on my ass and lebel me stupid but I'm only giving you an insight to my meager knowlegde as someone that's actively followed the inner workings of the industry from 1992 (I actually started gaming in 1981 like a lot of guys here) and not just passively gamed. Weather you agree with me or not is really irrelevant to me.

The thing is all current warriors in this battle have a philosophy to their bussiness strategy. Nintendo's has usually been the "We'll bring you fun, fun, fun and you'll like it" They don't risk jack. They revived the industry and with their strategy, they'll always be here. They play it safe and move on. However, on seeing a continuous decline of sales for their console for each gen, they've tried to shake things up a bit with their latest installment and I feel they'll definatly beat the xbox this time which I believe is their main target this gen. That and to reverse the slid from pst gens.

Sony's thing has always been about actively searching for the best and most varied form of entertainment for the gamer. They will take huge risks to accomplish this and contantly look to bring new and different game experiences. They are more the "BUILT IT AND THEY WILL COME" type philosophy and this is why developers always ride with them in the end. People tend to forget that developers are artists, sure it's a business and you want to make money but game developers also want to create and they want to create things people will appreciate. Again " Built it" (create a mind blowing game) and they will come.

Of all the console the PS3 is the only one that trully has a huge tool base to create dreams and this is what it's always been about. The xbox? well, I don't really want to go into their philosophy as it pertains to gaming but I can tell you this: It is my opinion that anyone buying a xbox product is inevitablly going to always get burnt. I don't know how people can't see this but hey it jsut seems people are jsut built to sometime continue to make bad decisions no matter what.

The PlayStation3 will skyrocket and will dominate again, of this I simplly have no doubt. Last year when Sony stocks tanked I was so pissed at my self cause that is just an investors dream - to see a trend in the market that no one else sees and buy low - and I just didnt' have the funds to get some of that stock. Watch it, Sony investors will be laughing their butts to the bank in 2009-2010.

diegomoroco777 said:
You know, this is a forum Chubear. If you post something, you just can´t expect people to don´t argue with you if they don´t think you are right. And Japan belongs to Nintendo right now, the DS and the Wii are proving it. PSP sales show which is the real power of those "big" franchises ( MGS, EG, Sonys games, etc).

No, no my friend. I don't expect anything of a sort from people. I only state my opinions and if I happen to disagree with anyones opinion then that's just my poragative as it is with anyone else to disagree with my views. I do however detest disrespect of others just because thier views are different. No, no my friend I am always true to my beliefs (or at least strongly try to be) but I don't expect anyone to even give me the time of day; I just say what I mean and mean what I say - simple.

HappySqurriel said:

My point was the assumption that "Sony owns Japan" is insane considering that Nintendo controls over 66% of the hardware market, software sales on Nintendo systems account for more than 60% of the market, and Nintendo software alone counts for roughly 40% of the market; in Contrast Sony platforms account for (approximately) 25% of the market in terms of hardware, roughly 35% in terms of software sold on platforms, and Sony publishes less than 5% of all software.

Ahh see, that is were people like me differ from people like you. We don't hide behind statements like "At this point in time ...." where we have wiggle room to dodge and come up with "what? I never said PS3 wouldn't win all I said was at that point in time the wii was dominant that's all"  win the future. We understand that this battle is a long one and the victor will be fully known by the end of the gen's cycle and are not afraid to state with conviction that the PS3 will be the dominant console again when it's all said and done. I have no fear in saying it and anyone can use my statements against me has the years go by but there are things I believe and I state them with no hestitation.

You may twist info any which way you please but I can state clearly that come 2012, the PlayStation3 will be the dominant home console in Japan and world wide. Can you make your statements clear as that too?

i got this game being the 1st million seller in japan...

THe oNLY TRue STuPiDiTY iS THe aCCePTaNCe oF iGNoRaNCe 

PSNTAG K_I_N_G__COKE

The King Of The Iron Fist tournament

Bonafide732 said:
i got this game being the 1st million seller in japan...

Ahh, that's what I'm talking about. Hope it holds true for you men as I also hope for great things for the developers with this game.