By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - When will PS3 get backward compatibility restored? (if ever)

Any opinions?  Eventually I'd like to get a PS3 and replace my PS2 with it, but I'm going to need BC.  Maybe when they eventually bring out PS3 slim or something?

In Memoriam RVW Jr.

SSBB Friend Code = 5455-9050-8670 (PM me if you add so I can add you!) 

Tetris Party Friend Code = 116129046416 (ditto)

Around the Network

when it does come along, if ever which it should i will get it

Until they start making a lot of money and the price (technology wise) for the PS3 drops significantly and until they get an even bigger market share.

Whatcha talking about? I have a 60 gig unit. :)

I would guess when the PS3 starts regularly outselling the PS2.

I own all three current consoles and a great gaming rig, now thats out of the way.

This space Reserved for the Nuggets of Wisdom dropped by Bladeforce:

"Why post something like this when all it will get is PS3 owners blinded to reality replying? BOTH THE PS3 AND BLUE-RAY WILL NOT LAST 3 YEARS! TECHNOLOGY CHANGED TOO FAST!"

"is it Wii FIt that has sold as many as PS3's sold? Thats a LOL Look at the total sales of software is it just me that sees Nintendo titles hitting 10m+ and you say they arent making a difference? Another LOL!"

"Hell, with all the negative hype Sony spin, people just aren't interested cost is too high and to get the true HD experience (1080p, 7.1 surround) you will need a $1000+ system. THAT IS GOING TO DO IT IN A RECESSION! PS4 will not happen"

|_emmiwinks said:
Whatcha talking about? I have a 60 gig unit. :)

I would guess when the PS3 starts regularly outselling the PS2.

http://vgchartz.com/hwtable.php?cons%5B%5D=PS3&cons%5B%5D=PS2&reg%5B%5D=Total&start=39453&end=39628

HUH?

Around the Network

The 80gig is BC also. If you can find one. I saw them today btw.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

elprincipe said:

Any opinions?  Eventually I'd like to get a PS3 and replace my PS2 with it, but I'm going to need BC.  Maybe when they eventually bring out PS3 slim or something?

The 60 GB Models have 100% BC and the 80 GB Models have 70-some% BC. It's already out there. Any more questions?

it's only the 40 gig that's not BC.There is a reason behind that,,,if every one buys BC PS3 instead of PS2(as of now) to play PS2 games,Sony will lose alot of money,,,,the reason is simple,,,every PS2 means alot of profit for Sony but every PS3 sold still means bleeding money for sony.

As soon as they can return a similar profit on PS3(as PS2)theyll drop PS2 and will make every single PS3 backward compatible.

probably a slim ps3 will have full bc

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

yea only a new model would do this. I don't expect the 40 gig to ever have good BC. They could try putting it on but I think best case it would be like the 360.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X