By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony Quotations

Bodhesatva said:
ckmlb said:
My favorite was this one:

"(the PS3) is not a game machine…"
- Ken Kutaragi, Regarding the machine’s beefy hardware architecture

Has there ever been a quote this out of context in the history of citing quotes?

You aren't much into politics if you can't think of a quote that's been abused more than that. But yeah, I agree, it's misrepresentational :p

It's called exaggeration :P

And I didn't say abused more I said out of context, it's like cutting a sentence in half and saying one part and it maks no sense at all.  

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Around the Network
ckmlb said:

Has there ever been a quote this out of context in the history of citing quotes?

I love the brackets there. There's so little of the quote it's impossible to tell whether he really was talking about the PS3.

I loved the "things break" one from Microsoft. I guess that sums up their attitude to their software aswell. 

One person's experience or opinion never shows the general consensus

PSN ID: Tispower

MSN: tispower1@hotmail.co.uk

tiachopvutru said:
Bodhesatva said:
ssj12 said:
Honestly 90% of what Kutaragi said was taken out of context.

I agree, a lot of the Kuturagi ones are unfairly out of context (whenever I see elipses, I question the validity of the quotation). The "people will work overtime for a PS3" one is pretty fun though, you have to admit :p

What do you think of this one:

"It’s probably too cheap…"
– Ken Kutaragi, Regarding the $499 to $599 price point

Honestly, think of how many endings that sentence could have.

"It's probably too cheap for us to make a profit."

"It's probably too cheap for a Blu-Ray player, as BR players are current 1000 dollars or more."

"It's probably too cheap for Bill Gates to buy. I hear he only buys ten million dollar computers."

It's four words that are only a portion of a sentence. How easy would it be to make anyone in the world look dumb if you took any four words they've spoken out of context?

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Tispower said:
ckmlb said:

I love the brackets there. There's so little of the quote it's impossible to tell whether he really was talking about the PS3.

I loved the "things break" one from Microsoft. I guess that sums up their attitude to their software aswell.

Yeah, and that one really wasn't taken out of context. He really meant it. Amazing! 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

The 4D speech by Kutaragi isnt there which is shocking, that has been the biggest misunderstanding there has been from his speeches.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network

“The idea of a handheld rivalry with Nintendo is an irrelevance. Those formats don't appear in our planning. It's not a fair comparison; not fair on them, I should stress. That sounds arrogant, maybe, but it's the truth. With the DS , it's fair to say that Nintendo stepped out of the technical race and went for a feature differentiation with the touch screen. But I fear that it won't have a lasting impact beyond that of a gimmick - so the long-lasting appeal of the platform is at peril as a direct result of that."

My personal favourite. It should be carved on his gravestone.

SpaceJase said:
“The idea of a handheld rivalry with Nintendo is an irrelevance. Those formats don't appear in our planning. It's not a fair comparison; not fair on them, I should stress. That sounds arrogant, maybe, but it's the truth. With the DS , it's fair to say that Nintendo stepped out of the technical race and went for a feature differentiation with the touch screen. But I fear that it won't have a lasting impact beyond that of a gimmick - so the long-lasting appeal of the platform is at peril as a direct result of that."

My personal favourite. It should be carved on his gravestone.

Yeah that's a good one.  Especially the points I bolded.  It always entertains me.  It took Sony a while but they seem to have figured out at this point that if they just shut the hell up and make games their sales will be much better.

I know exactly what you mean.

How about we fill in the blanks?

The idea of a ________ rivalry with Nintendo is an irrelevance. Those formats don't appear in our planning. It's not a fair comparison; not fair on them, I should stress. That sounds arrogant, maybe, but it's the truth. With the ___ , it's fair to say that Nintendo stepped out of the technical race and went for a feature differentiation with the ___ ____. But I fear that it won't have a lasting impact beyond that of a gimmick - so the long-lasting appeal of the platform is at peril as a direct result of that.

Bodhesatva said:
ssj12 said:

I agree, a lot of the Kuturagi ones are unfairly out of context (whenever I see elipses, I question the validity of the quotation). The "people will work overtime for a PS3" one is pretty fun though, you have to admit :p

Also you have to remember the part that is "lost in translation" Like when Miamyoto(sp?) said he could have made Halo if he wanted to(that could be on the N list) I think what he meant is that if he wanted to design those types of games he would, not the more literal translation.

vizunary said:
Bodhesatva said:
ssj12 said:

Also you have to remember the part that is "lost in translation" Like when Miamyoto(sp?) said he could have made Halo if he wanted to(that could be on the N list) I think what he meant is that if he wanted to design those types of games he would, not the more literal translation.

Yep, that's true as well.