By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - big mistakes sony made with ps3 and I don't see real plans

davidc538 said:
do people really think the ps3 and 360 compete directly with the wii anyway? i doubt it, i actually think the wii and ps3 benefit from each other....put it this way

when ps3 came out production costs were roughly $860 a piece(don't believe me, look it up), but now they've dropped below $400 so selling the ps3 is actually viable and also the blu ray has won as next gen format the ps3 will take off

I'm not sure I fully comprehend what you mean davidc538

You state that PS3 and Wii "benefit from each other".

You then quote production cost reductions for the PS3.

How does this benefit the Wii or vice versa ? Surely it will mean increased competition as Sony may be able to afford a price reduction.

Around the Network

@fightinglee - Krazy Ken Kutaragi got fired.

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

once ps3 hit $275,things will pick up for sony

This is a pretty crappy, PS3 hate thread. Where are the long drawn out explanations that make no sense?

HappySqurriel said:
slimeattack said:
Everyone says that the PS3 has no chance to do any better than 2nd place... last year everyone said that for sure they will be the last. If they cut the price to 299(but being profitable) and released a Wii-like controller that appeals to casuals (but with many 1st party games to start with), they could compete against the Wii.

Why did the less expensive and more powerful Nintendo Gamecube not compete well against the PS2?

The fact of the matter is that the vast majority of third party development (for 2009 and beyond) that is targeting the mainstream audience will be focusing on the Wii; without this development any effort to target this market will be futile.

you forget that sony has the biggest best and most first and second party studioes of any console maker.

In my opinion :P

Check out my game about moles ^

Around the Network
bardicverse said:
IMO, the only mistake Sony made was the price. Had they released a non Blu-Ray option for PS3 at $300-$350, they would have crushed their competition. At this point, no matter what they do, it'll be impossible to catch the leader, the Wii. They do have a chance to surpass the XB360, depending how they get Japan more interested in the PS3, since the XB360 doesn't have the appeal in that region. In the US, the PS3 and XB360 will be close in sales, but Japan and others will decide who is on top between the two.

People in the industry begged Sony to rethink their $600 price tag when it was announced, but Sony wouldn't listen. Every company makes some fatal mistake that kills their control/popularity in the industry at some point. Nintendo pissed off a lot of people when the N64 was in development, which opened up the opportunity for Sony to take over. Now Sony dropped the ball and Nintendo took back over. The question is, what will Nintendo do down the road to make themselves unpopular and let MS or Sony back on top?

it's way more than price really...it's all the extra features...did it need Blu-Ray? no

PSP and PS3 sync? no

those are all 'useless' features...wich make the price of the console higher...so they couldn't go lower anyway..because of what they tried to make the PS3...not a gaming console(Wii is a Gaming console,360 is a HCgaming console)

but a multiMedia system....well..good luck Sony..>_<

Cypher1980 said:
davidc538 said:
do people really think the ps3 and 360 compete directly with the wii anyway? i doubt it, i actually think the wii and ps3 benefit from each other....put it this way

when ps3 came out production costs were roughly $860 a piece(don't believe me, look it up), but now they've dropped below $400 so selling the ps3 is actually viable and also the blu ray has won as next gen format the ps3 will take off

I'm not sure I fully comprehend what you mean davidc538

You state that PS3 and Wii "benefit from each other".

You then quote production cost reductions for the PS3.

How does this benefit the Wii or vice versa ? Surely it will mean increased competition as Sony may be able to afford a price reduction.

its hard to understand i know, but to me it seems clear that sony did not really want to sell very many ps3's when they first came out because they were so expensive to produce, people see a 600 dollar machine and a 250 dollar machine and buy there kids the 250$ one, the Wii really cut sony's losses down in the beginning and at the same time sony mustv'e help the wii gain alot of popularity. back when these machines came out people were pissed over ps3

bardicverse said:
IMO, the only mistake Sony made was the price. Had they released a non Blu-Ray option for PS3 at $300-$350, they would have crushed their competition. At this point, no matter what they do, it'll be impossible to catch the leader, the Wii. They do have a chance to surpass the XB360, depending how they get Japan more interested in the PS3, since the XB360 doesn't have the appeal in that region. In the US, the PS3 and XB360 will be close in sales, but Japan and others will decide who is on top between the two.

People in the industry begged Sony to rethink their $600 price tag when it was announced, but Sony wouldn't listen. Every company makes some fatal mistake that kills their control/popularity in the industry at some point. Nintendo pissed off a lot of people when the N64 was in development, which opened up the opportunity for Sony to take over. Now Sony dropped the ball and Nintendo took back over. The question is, what will Nintendo do down the road to make themselves unpopular and let MS or Sony back on top?

That's either 2 mistakes (price and forcing blu-ray on gamers to win a disc format war) or 1 mistake (forcing blu-ray on gamers to win a disc format war).  If there was no competing disc format there would have been a "cheap" non-blu ray option and as successful as Wii has become I think it would have been hard to overcome a competitively priced PS3.  Sony made many mistakes but it's biggest were being too greedy and being too arrogant.  Now the Wii has so much momentum that no matter how much the price of PS3 drops it still won't have much of a chance against Wii.

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

I think Sony's biggest issue is in the choices they made in hardware design and development support...

Blu-ray cost too much but they were hell bent on putting it in the console so they could do HD movies and win the HD battle. But someone forgot the memo about blu-ray's performance for gaming which may be part of the reason why some games have to go on the hard drive. It has the capacity, but not the performance.

The other, is the internal architecture and programability of the system. Microsoft has made it simpler to deliver games on its system. And developers openly agree it costs more to make games on PS3 because of the complexities that developers don't fully understand. If you are a shareholder costing more to deliver is important and most game companies are owned by shareholders.

To me, these were the root mistakes. If the Blu-ray drive would have been a faster device and development for the system easier, 360 would have been toasted by PS3 and we wouldn't be rehashing these threads every few days.

PS3 was dubbed a far superior console that was going to deliver 1080p games all the time. To date, I don't think people feel the results are there. Personally, I love games like MGS4... But it and the currently other PS3 exclusives don't come close to justifying the cost of the PS3 compared to 360. Especially, if your focus is gaming and not HD Movies.

Mistakes have been made all around this gen. Just some worse than others.

Sony made the mistakes of high cost for BR and the Cell as well as not providing good dev tools for the Cell.

MS made one of the least reliable electronics devices in recent memory.

Nintendo's only mistake is not making enough Wii's to satisfy demand.