By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mixed Wii Reviews?

Why?  It's been discussed before, but it has happened again and I'm confused.  I was looking at gamerankings when I came across Resident Evil 4 Wii edition.  All I've been hearing is that this is the "definitive" version because the controls actually improve the gameplay. But....a review from Eurogamer who gave it a 7/10 says, "Because it doesn't feature an improved control scheme, it features the opposite: a worse control scheme."  Then in complete contrast CVG UK says, "The pointer calibration here is so sharp you could cut yourself with it: even compared with Nintendo's own gunwork in the Duck Hunt-styled passage of Wii Play, it feels like there's greater precision in Capcom's handiwork."  They gave it 93% out of 100.

I personally think that in this case, Eurogamer is just gonna be one of those sites that gives a low review to a game that is going to receive an overall positive reception granted 7/10 is not that bad. But his whole point was the game is still good for what it is, but it is now not as good because of the Wii controls.  From previews, I understand that the controls are extremely precise, so my guess is that the reviewer from Eurogamer must REALLY suck at the game if he couldn't aim good. I mean the guy even when on to say, "And if you can get your head round the game's appearance."   I mean come on, we know the game is dated, but it's not like even now re4 is so ugly it's hard to look at.  It's sad that there are still retards who's views on games are still used. Jack Thompson anyone.

Around the Network

Dude if you go to Gamespot you will puke. I have not got over Wario Ware scoring higher than Zelda and being the best game for Wii (9.1). By the time a Wii game gets a 9 in those major game sites the war will be over.

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."

I know. I found it weird. I have seen different sites give games low scores, and some high scores, but they all said the same stuff. I found this review to be very weird. 3 say it improves, 1 says it makes it worse. THAT is the best representation of mixed reviews.

Sure, Wii Play and Wii Sports get low scores, but the sites agree that they are fun. Same with Mario Party 8. But for some sites to say that the controls completely improve the gameplay and one to say that they make it absolutely worse....

ItsaMii said:
Dude if you go to Gamespot you will puke. I have not got over Wario Ware scoring higher than Zelda and being the best game for Wii (9.1). By the time a Wii game gets a 9 in those major game sites the war will be over.

What I still don't get about that review for TP is that they gave the gamecube score .1 higher than the wii version, but stated in their own review that the wii version was better. WTF?

Eurogamer is one of the best sites out there ,but they are very hard giving scores .

Curiosly ,Computer and Video Games (the printed mag comes from 1978 no less ) is also one of the more prestigious out there being the printed edition the traditional videogames mag in UK .

Around the Network

Ok, I know this one isn't Wii and it's really old, but I can never get over the stupidity of this review from Gamers Europe for SSB Melee.

Super Smash Bros. Melee
"For whatever reason, a few months ago the internet was alive with talk of this game being one of the greatest games Nintendo have ever produced. Why then has it proved to be one of the most disappointing Nintendo games and why was there so much hype to begin with? Interesting questions, along with the strange hype surrounding this game and coupled with unimpressive game mechanics make this an interesting title to review. Let’s get to work.

First off, why the hype? The original wasn’t anything impressive – bland, unoriginal and bizarrely it carried a Nintendo logo on the box. The previews that floated around didn’t boast of anything remarkable. Nintendo fans have yet again created a storm out of a tea cup. Unwanted hype for an undeserving game. The game itself is fairly straightforward, pick one of the many Nintendo characters that have been designed over the years and pitch them in battle against each other. It’s not a Tekken type of beat ‘em up, its roots could probably be traced back to the crazy antics of the likes of Street Fighter. Think of the craziest moves in Street Fighter (any one, even the recent ones), make the buttons incredibly simple and you've got a basic overview of SSBM. While the arenas are designed in 3D, it’s a fully side-scrolling fighter – there’s no moving around the arena, just left to right. Having said that, the arenas are well designed and are mostly areas encountered in previous Nintendo games, from Princess Peach’s castle to the Pokemon arena. There are platforms on the arena that you can jump upon, so while it’s not in 3D there are plenty of opportunities for some close-quarters combat and some well-timed jumping.

The graphics are something else that has to be beaten down – they’re not up to scratch. They’re as uninspired as the arenas, flat and lifeless is how best to describe them. We get the feeling though that they’re not meant to be spectacular, more they were designed to be non-confusing so it would be easy to spot where you are and where you can jump to. And they are, there’s no chance of you getting lost anywhere or confused as to where to jump, it’s all very flat. While the arena graphics are lifeless and little more can be said for the characters, there are some nice effects pulled off for special attacks. Lighting effects, shadows and colours are thrown about like a rainbow and it’s quite satisfying pulling off a big move and finishing off an opponent at the same time.

Overall bad graphics and ill thought-out arenas (there’s no freedom of movement, its left or right), what’s to like about this game? There’s a saving grace here that’s probably the one thing the developers thought would make this game sell and were it not for this feature this game would be a total abomination. Like the original, the gameplay is genius. Beating the living snot out of your least favourite Nintendo character is a lot of fun, even if all you can do is punch, kick, throw and a special move for each player. It’s simplistic in every sense of the word but it’s an awful lot of fun. The pace of the game is unstoppable, battles last on average less than a minute and it’s all very frantic. The frantic pace of the game renders the block move useless, by the time you press the right button you’ll have already been slammed to the floor. The gameplay is a lot of fun, but unfortunately the modes of play sit on top of the fun of the gameplay a lot of the time, having a partner in battles (which happens on occasion) renders your part in the game useless, just sit back and watch your AI controlled partner do the business. Aside from the expected progression mode, there’s also a 2D/3D platformer and another sub-game that has a puzzling element added to the basic combat system. It’s worth mentioning that the health system is nonexistent, instead of knocking your opponent’s bar down to 0%, you have to knock it up to around the 100%+ mark and punch (or kick, or whatever way you want) him/her out of the arena.

There are various weapons scattered throughout each arena that can be picked up to inflict some extra damage, from the standard array of pistols, knives etc to some stranger, Nintendo-exclusive items, including Pokeballs that can be thrown at your opponent which open up and release a Pokemon upon your foe. As is the backbone of every Nintendo game, there’s a strong leaning towards collecting things, in this case its extra characters, arenas and trophies. The trophies can be collected by either using coins collected around the game in a slot machine or by finding them during play. There are around 300 of them, each one is a model of something Nintendo related and they each carry their own biography of their history. As you can imagine, it’s full of in-jokes only Nintendo fans could comprehend.

There is a saving grace of this title in the gameplay, but it can’t excuse the fact that this game is a repeat of a sub-average game to begin with. To stick to the same formula isn’t something we expect from Nintendo, this game is far short of the quality we know they can come up with. A shame, but with Power Stone knocking around there's little point in lamenting."
He gave it a 5/10. I mean where do you begin with all the flaws here. It's like the guy actually liked the game, but was paid to say it sucked.  He says the arenas are well designed and then says there ill-thought out arenas. He beats down on the graphics even though there was a huge improvement.  The character graphics were one of the most postive things that came out from most reviews at that time. He says the game lacks quality, but the gameplay is genius. And he goes on about gameplay being fun and genius and great. How can you call a game lack of quality if your praising how fun and great the gameplay is. Having your AI take care of everything, yeah right. Anyone who's played it knows how hard the game can be, AI allies will get creamed if you don't help them(unless he was playing on very easy).  I know this is old, but I can't help but think this guy sucked at the game too. Oh, that last part about Nintendo not sticking to the same formula was hilarious.  Zelda/Mario same great formula for years.  They should ban retards from reviewing games, or at least people who don't know how to play.

Diomedes1976 said:
Eurogamer is one of the best sites out there ,but they are very hard giving scores .

Curiosly ,Computer and Video Games (the printed mag comes from 1978 no less ) is also one of the more prestigious out there being the printed edition the traditional videogames mag in UK .

I don't know. He talks about the pointer not being steady, that sounds like he had shaky hands. And when the overall view is that the controls improve the game and this guy is saying it made the game worse because it was too hard for him sounds like a lack of gaming talent to me.

1. I completely agree that Eurogamer sucks.  Even though I don't like reviews, I do tend to read them for games that I've played just because I like to see what they say.  Most things I read from Eurogamer is just trash.
  2. I don't mind a game getting a low score, but I feel like they should justify it.  In Eurogamer's case with RE4, they at least justified the score by saying they didn't like the control scheme.  I'm completely cool with them docking the score because they at least game them a reason.  I may or may not agree with them (I'll know tomorrow) but they gave me a reason.  With Gamespot's review for Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree, they loved the game, the only negative they had to see was about having to pass the remote in some of the multiplayer modes, and they gave it a 7.3.  That's just insane.  I understand the game probably doesn't anywhere near a 9, but when you have only one negative thing to say about the game, it doesn't get a 7.3.  Oh, and there's also the fact they didn't even really spend much time with the game at all.

twesterm said:

I don't mind a game getting a low score, but I feel like they should justify it.  In Eurogamer's case with RE4, they at least justified the score by saying they didn't like the control scheme.  I'm completely cool with them docking the score because they at least game them a reason.  I may or may not agree with them (I'll know tomorrow) but they gave me a reason.  With Gamespot's review for Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree, they loved the game, the only negative they had to see was about having to pass the remote in some of the multiplayer modes, and they gave it a 7.3.  That's just insane.  I understand the game probably doesn't anywhere near a 9, but when you have only one negative thing to say about the game, it doesn't get a 7.3.  Oh, and there's also the fact they didn't even really spend much time with the game at all.

Yes, but if your going to justify it, at least have a valid justification.  If he didn't like the control scheme, that's one thing, but he says the controls were bad(as in they were poorly implemented and didn't work).  If the pointer doesn't point, he would have a case. 

It's the same thing with the Melee review I posted here.  There saying things that are not true.  I just don't want to here, I hate the deadly slow framerate but the game runs at a consistent 60fps.

diamuerto said:
ItsaMii said:

What I still don't get about that review for TP is that they gave the gamecube score .1 higher than the wii version, but stated in their own review that the wii version was better. WTF?

It is simple really. He is reviewing the Wii not the game. 

Like most other Zelda games, Twilight Princess is a retelling of the same basic tale, though this one is not without its twists. There's a princess named Zelda, a land called Hyrule, and a world that's on the verge of destruction if you don't do something to save it.

The Wii was designed with relatively modest graphical capabilities, at least from a technical perspective. So if you spend a lot of time trying to pick apart the visuals of Twilight Princess, you'd notice plenty of low-res textures and jagged edges.

But normally you can just keep on shaking the Wii Remote like a maniac and come out on top against most enemies. There's no finesse to the way the Wii Remote is used, and at times you'll wish that you could just hit a button to swing the sword instead of dealing with all the motion-sensing nonsense. This is especially true in the rare cases that require you to time your sword swings properly, as well as once you start learning a few extra moves, like the shield bash, which is done by shoving the Nunchuk controller forward. Most of the time, performing this move resulted in a spin attack. The combat controls using the Wii Remote may feel somewhat different from past games, but it doesn't draw you into the experience any more than using a standard controller would, and at worst, it's imprecise.

Given that the Wii is running discs on a greater storage capacity than Nintendo games have had in the past, and advances in standards for video game music, it's disappointing that the series hasn't finally moved to full digital recordings. After all, these songs are worthy of an orchestra. Similarly, it's surprising that the game's story is conveyed through text and text alone. Link has always been that sort of blank-slate character that doesn't speak in games, and he doesn't have any lines in Twilight Princess, either. That's a fine stylistic choice, but there's plenty of dialogue in the game coming from other characters, and in this day and age, for a game whose story is as much a factor as this one's is, it should have all been spoken.

It generally sounds fine, but the game also makes frequent use of the speaker on the Wii Remote, piping a lot of combat noises through it. Unfortunately, this speaker is cheap and tinny, making everything that comes out of it sound distorted and poor. The audio coming through this speaker also chops up fairly frequently, as if it can't maintain a decent connection with the console.

Objectively speaking, it's still a little disappointing that the series hasn't evolved much at all with this latest installment.

They said the sounds were cheap on the wiimote and that graphics were not next generation. Control using Wiimote is not precise. There is no excuse for lack of spoken dialogue or orchestra having so much storage space in Wii media. The game get 8 for control, 9 for looks and 7 (!!!) for sound.  None of this should apply for the GC version right? No. It gets 8, 9 and 8 in the same categories.

Graphically, the GameCube version is roughly identical to the Wii release. The main difference comes from a lack of 16:9 widescreen support, resulting in many of the story sequences being letterboxed when viewed in 4:3. However, the game does have 480p support. If you're properly equipped with a GameCube component cable and a TV capable of handling the higher resolution, you'll get a slightly cleaner image. The combat controls are more conventional on the GameCube, since you won't be shaking the controller around to attack (though if you've already played the Wii version, expect to feel dumb when you start to shake your WaveBird and wonder why nothing's happening), but the Wii controls actually end up feeling more precise in a direct comparison. It's easier and faster to aim your arrows, boomerang, or other targeted items using the Wii Remote. It's easier to move the camera around with the Wii Remote, too. While the GameCube controller is more precise when it comes to swinging your sword, the easier aiming and faster access to the spin attack make the Wii version's combat controls superior, even though they have a few issues of their own.

You can't go wrong with either version of the game, but if you're still trying to decide, the Wii version is just a bit better.

If you spend a lot of time trying to pick apart the visuals of Twilight Princess, you'd notice plenty of low-res textures and jagged edges. But that would be missing the point.

When you consider the storage limitations that are inherent to the GameCube, it's easy to see why the game went this route and also why it relies on text and text alone to convey its epic story. The rest of Twilight Princess' sound is about what you'd expect, and it's using plenty of the same sort of sound effects and battle yelps that the series has relied on, which again will tap into fans' nostalgia for the series.

Suming up. Wi version sucks because it is not next generation and a direct port from GC. GC version is not good enough because it does not support some next generation features the Wii have (even though the game is one of the best looking on last gen). Wii controls are imprecise and gimmick at best, not as good as playing on a GC controller. Gameplay on Wii is worse on combat. GC version is worst than Wii. Things go smoother on Wii combat. Those claims contradict each other. As for sound, Wii sucks for cheap wiimote speaker that the GC version lacks. Wii lose points for having media storage and lacking orchestrated sound and voices. The GC loses points for lacking media storage for these features (WTF). Again a big FUCKING contradiction. Where is Phoenix Wright at times like this. Not to mention some GC bullying and minor lies. RE4 had a lot of spoken dialogue and so did other GC games that were on 1 disc only. If Zelda have no voice it was for style purposes not laziness. I do not see people bullying Shadow of Colossus for this.
 The best part of the review is Jeff telling us Wii version is better. Lower score <check>, more critics <check>, best and worst control of the two <check>, logic <no>.

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."