By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii-mote: How useful for traditional games?

DonWii said:
@Happy Squrriel

That is the absolute definition of not claiming Bias. Good job.

Bias would imply that their criteria for their reviews was inconsistent and they were scoring against games on Nintendo platforms because they're on Nintendo platforms. Beyond that, before I made a claim like that I would want to perform a statistical analysis on all of their reviews to back up my claim.

Around the Network

If I were to be generous and philanthropic, I'd assume that some people simply aren't fans of the way the Wii Remote control operates. Many people just don't prefer to play games that way.

If I were cynical, I'd say that some 15-30 year old males see the Wii-mote as a symbol for the changing landscape of video games, and take out all their furious little hatred of the sudden emergence of Women and 30+ adults in video games by criticizing the control method those audiences seem to prefer. 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

5 star review from GameSpy: http://wii.gamespy.com/wii/biohazard-umbrella-chronicles/797383p1.html

"Sporting exactly the same great additional content as the bolstered PS2 revision, along with spankingly accurate and impressive Wii-specific controls, we're confident in stating that the Wii game is now the definitive version of Resident Evil 4"

"The biggest immediate payoff is that Leon is now much more accurate and responsive when shooting his guns, throwing his grenades and swiping with his trusty hunting knife."

Adding more buttons to the wii-remote would be the biggest mistake, the main theory/concept behind the wii-remote is "SIMPLE". Anyone can pick it up and know how to use it to play game. And that's one of the reason why Wii is doing so well.

All I have to say is I'm buying it.

Bias would imply that their criteria for their reviews was inconsistent

Review scores are mostly inconsistent across platforms. Let me give you an example sometimes a c64 version of a game scored higher than the Amiga version, while in fact the Amiga version offered better graphics and stereo sound and music while offering identical gameplay. But why did the c64 version score higher then? Because the reviewers were amazed by how far the c64 could be pushed, while on the Amiga they had already seen much better.

I think if many of the Nintendo Wii games would have been released unenhanced for the PS3, they would have scored far lower. That's of course biased, as it's the same game, but that's how it is. Else it would be impossible for Nintendo Wii games to receive near perfect scores for graphics and audio if directly measured up against the competition.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network

@MikeB

Well first I would like to say that it is an intressting topic but you did one mistake in chosing a review of many for a game that overall has got very good reviews.

@Thread
Back to the topic for what we really is asking here: can Wiimote + nunchuck be used with traditional games?

Well, according to me yes as long as the developerer doesn't fit every ****ing move/thing on motion sensors. Now to explain this I think there is several genrés that could be very good with the Wiimote:

FPS: I think this is a no brainer if you are as bad as me in playing FPS with a standard controller.
RPG: Could again be simpler with a pointer going through menus and so on.
Plattform: Here I will wait untill I see what Dews and Mario succed with.
TBS or RTS: Should be perfect but you do miss the keyboard.
Point and click adventure, well if I don't get a mouse I rather take a Wiimote than a classic controller.
Run and Gun: NO I rather play that with the classic controller.

Overall I think the Wiimote can take the mass of the games, and I hope bring in other fun games to the plattform.

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!

@ robjoh

BS or RTS: Should be perfect but you do miss the keyboard.

I think it would get very tiresome for me to constantly point the Wii-mote at the screen, much more so than with a mouse. I think this would be far from perfect...

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

That could be a very appropriate issue, I think a resolution to the Wiimote idea in the future is limited use of motion sensory functions or optional controller schemes. Right now though Nintendo is obviously going to support Wiimote only play as providing an alternative this early in its introduction would negate its value to the system and compromise the early appeal of the Wii.

I also hope Nintendo's success with lifestyle games leads them to realize that the future of lifestyle games is their integration into typical games, just as online play has been integrated into typical games. Just as I hope that they realize that motion sensory controls are open to compromise as well and integration into more traditional controller schemes. A traditional style controller with wii-mote functionality would be pretty spiffy in the future. A great compromise for those who have reservations about the Wii-motes future appeal to wide spread genres of gaming.

MikeB said:
@ robjoh

I think it would get very tiresome for me to constantly point the Wii-mote at the screen, much more so than with a mouse. I think this would be far from perfect...

Sure, if you're standing up with your arm fully extend like the geniuses in the Wii ads.

In reality, you just sit in a chair, and prop it on your knee or the arm chair. It's not tough at all. However, the lack of buttons really makes a difference for RTS games, and I'm not mouse clicking icons; I'm far too accustomed to being able to custom bind everything to my personal preferences. Given those demands, frankly, the PS/360 controllers don't have enough buttons either.

To be honest, the longer I think about it, the more I wonder how gamepads have survived for so long. They're generally too complicated for very casual players to enjoy yet they're patently inferior to keyboard/mouse combos for complex gaming. 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Bodhesatva said:
MikeB said:
@ robjoh

Sure, if you're standing up with your arm fully extend like the geniuses in the Wii ads.

In reality, you just sit in a chair, and prop it on your knee or the arm chair. It's not tough at all. However, the lack of buttons really makes a difference for RTS games, and I'm not mouse clicking icons; I'm far too accustomed to being able to custom bind everything to my personal preferences. Given those demands, frankly, the PS/360 controllers don't have enough buttons either.

To be honest, the longer I think about it, the more I wonder how gamepads have survived for so long. They're generally too complicated for very casual players to enjoy yet they're patently inferior to keyboard/mouse combos for complex gaming. 

Not to get off topic, but when I was at work at Krogers (grocery store) I saw a Carebare themed product and just wanted to scream, "Bodhesatva!".

On topic though I think the Wii's traditional controller is a nice approach to a user friendly button backed controller. I do agree though that more buttons are needed for most controller though I can't imagine what the aversion is to more buttons for so many casual gamers. It's not tricky.