By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Anyone here still think the Wii is a fad?

I sure hope it is a fad or else the non kid crowd is doomed. When I say kid of course I don't just mean small children, but adults who still consider themselves small children as seen in their choices. I mean I loved Mario as much as the next guy and played super mario brothers a ton when I was...you know...6. I also liked kool Aid, enjoyed horrible movies like camp nowhere and even once or twice used a blanket near the couch to make a fort. I'm not saying that an adult can't drink Kool Aid while sitting in their blanket fort playing kung fu panda, I'm more saying someone who thinks of that as the pinnacle of the video game experience is only chronologically in their 20s.

My wife has a friend who REALLY likes the wii and when I suggested she try games for adults like Uncharted, Oblivion or Heavenly Sword she told me that I wasn't "nerdy" enough. Somehow when I wasn't looking being childish as an adult became the new avant garde, which explains all the rainbow bright Tshirts I see when I walk past trendy young adult stores (they're usually next to the "old school" NES controller tshirt). Now I'm sure some of you are going to say that I'm being polemic and there are in fact plenty of adult games on the Wii and/or I just don't understand fun. The truth is that there are very very few adult games on the Wii, and most of the adult games there are (Resident Evil 4, Rock Band, Okami) are ports or Playstation games. To say I don't understand fun because my tastes have matured with age is also kind of silly, as if there's something wrong with growing to prefer the Sopranos to the Ninja Turtles over the course of two decades.

The Wii is a sad future for games if it really does end up "winning" which I hope it won't. It started at the sweet spot price (250, which is the same as 200 dollars a few years back when the PS2 dropped to 199 and sold way more then it had before) because it used outdated hardware so yes, it sold more. In terms of dollars the Wii has not sold much more then the PS3. The Wii moved more consoles but the PS3 users were willing to pay more to not be stuck with Carnival Games, Imagine Ponies and the 8th Mario Kart rehash as their only choices.

The Wii is a system that returns games to the realm of children and childlike adults, that pushes obsolete (and thus more profitable) hardware, that cashes in on nostalgia instead of pushing the envelope with new ideas (Wii Fit being the sole exception) and worst of all pushes stagnation instead of real innovation. I salute Sony for putting cutting edge technology out there even at a loss, I would hate to be in the Nintendo only world where console makers change the enclosure of their last generation box, give it a new controller and call it an update.

Remember when Nintendo stuck with cartridges for YEARS after they were a good idea and everyone else had gone to CDs? Remember when Genesis came out and Nintendo kept pushing 8 bit graphics and inferior hardware only updating when they REALLY had to in order to keep market share? A Nintendo dominated world isn't good for anyone but Nintendo's bottom line. I still think that when the PS3 hits somewhere near the magic 250 price point in a year or so it will equal then surpass wii sales. Remember when the gamecube was 99 dollars (which the PS2 still isn't down to) and didn't sell a fraction of what the PS2 is still selling years later? When the PS2 is passed by the Wii (or the PS3 is passed by the next gen wii which is the same as this gens HD consoles in power) then feel free to talk about Nintendomination, but I doubt either of those will happen any time soon.

PSN ID: ChosenOne feel free to add me

Around the Network
Coca-Cola said:
@kingofwale. For you, 360 is dead, right?

Wii was a fad for me. Was really into it for 2 months, and haven't played any games on it for 10 months or so.

lol that was EXACTLY my experience.  From most of the people I know with Wiis that experience is more or less universal except the populations of kids and kid like adults.  Cartoons, dodgeball and all that other stuff from early childhood are fun and retro, but only for a while; then you end up looking for something more which the Wii just doesn't have.  I've tried the "big hits" every time they come out to see if I can get back into them but they end up just being really derivative and not as fun as I remember (Mario Galaxy/kart, smash bros, zelda, metroid 3 ect).  Its amazing how little the main franchises have evolved in decades.  Maybe some day a Wii game will come out that can hold my attention for more then a few hours, but I'm starting to doubt it.

PSN ID: ChosenOne feel free to add me

Of course the Wii is a fad! There is no doubt about it.

Best proof: my cousin. She never ever bought a console and she never ever thought about buying one either.

But it was her brithday (15) and she wanted to get a Wii, because everybody talked about it and her friends told her how much fun this thing is. Now she got one and it was really fun to play wii at her birthday. We played the two games she received with it, wii sports and a very low-budget German specific game. Okay her birthday ended and the wii has not been used again, except for some times with her friends. She did not buy a game for it either. her birthday is like 6-7 months ago. But if you ask her about the wii she will tell you it is fun to play, still remembering these 4-5 times playing the wii with five or six friends in 7 months. So her friends will pick one up, too. So this fad will last very long. Well the Backstreet Boys were selling unbeliveable amounts of records for 6 years, too.

How can I say this without causing any trouble...?

I like Nintendo, I really do. But the Wii is not a gaming console to me. It is a kids toy. All I can say is congratulation Nintendo for making so much money with such a product.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

kingofwale said:
Fad simply means Craze... a fad could last a decade, remember the boyband of the late 80 and early 90s?

Yes, I think it's a fad, because I think it's doing better than it really deserves to. Same reason I think Ipod is a fad.

Briliant! i totally agree

That's an ironic post from somone named Impulsivity.... and hilariously childish at that.

Ahh man that's funny.

Anyway to answer the qusetion... maybe like Hoola Hoops. I mean Hoola Hoops were considered a fad and they lasted 5-10 years right?

Around the Network
Impulsivity said:
I sure hope it is a fad or else the non kid crowd is doomed. When I say kid of course I don't just mean small children, but adults who still consider themselves small children as seen in their choices. I mean I loved Mario as much as the next guy and played super mario brothers a ton when I was...you know...6. I also liked kool Aid, enjoyed horrible movies like camp nowhere and even once or twice used a blanket near the couch to make a fort. I'm not saying that an adult can't drink Kool Aid while sitting in their blanket fort playing kung fu panda, I'm more saying someone who thinks of that as the pinnacle of the video game experience is only chronologically in their 20s.

My wife has a friend who REALLY likes the wii and when I suggested she try games for adults like Uncharted, Oblivion or Heavenly Sword she told me that I wasn't "nerdy" enough. Somehow when I wasn't looking being childish as an adult became the new avant garde, which explains all the rainbow bright Tshirts I see when I walk past trendy young adult stores (they're usually next to the "old school" NES controller tshirt). Now I'm sure some of you are going to say that I'm being polemic and there are in fact plenty of adult games on the Wii and/or I just don't understand fun. The truth is that there are very very few adult games on the Wii, and most of the adult games there are (Resident Evil 4, Rock Band, Okami) are ports or Playstation games. To say I don't understand fun because my tastes have matured with age is also kind of silly, as if there's something wrong with growing to prefer the Sopranos to the Ninja Turtles over the course of two decades.

The Wii is a sad future for games if it really does end up "winning" which I hope it won't. It started at the sweet spot price (250, which is the same as 200 dollars a few years back when the PS2 dropped to 199 and sold way more then it had before) because it used outdated hardware so yes, it sold more. In terms of dollars the Wii has not sold much more then the PS3. The Wii moved more consoles but the PS3 users were willing to pay more to not be stuck with Carnival Games, Imagine Ponies and the 8th Mario Kart rehash as their only choices.

The Wii is a system that returns games to the realm of children and childlike adults, that pushes obsolete (and thus more profitable) hardware, that cashes in on nostalgia instead of pushing the envelope with new ideas (Wii Fit being the sole exception) and worst of all pushes stagnation instead of real innovation. I salute Sony for putting cutting edge technology out there even at a loss, I would hate to be in the Nintendo only world where console makers change the enclosure of their last generation box, give it a new controller and call it an update.

Remember when Nintendo stuck with cartridges for YEARS after they were a good idea and everyone else had gone to CDs? Remember when Genesis came out and Nintendo kept pushing 8 bit graphics and inferior hardware only updating when they REALLY had to in order to keep market share? A Nintendo dominated world isn't good for anyone but Nintendo's bottom line. I still think that when the PS3 hits somewhere near the magic 250 price point in a year or so it will equal then surpass wii sales. Remember when the gamecube was 99 dollars (which the PS2 still isn't down to) and didn't sell a fraction of what the PS2 is still selling years later? When the PS2 is passed by the Wii (or the PS3 is passed by the next gen wii which is the same as this gens HD consoles in power) then feel free to talk about Nintendomination, but I doubt either of those will happen any time soon.

Why do you dislike children so much? They don't deserve a fun gaming experience that doesn't involve gunning down hoardes of aliens/nazis/zombies?

Impulsivity said:
Coca-Cola said:
@kingofwale. For you, 360 is dead, right?

Wii was a fad for me. Was really into it for 2 months, and haven't played any games on it for 10 months or so.

lol that was EXACTLY my experience. From most of the people I know with Wiis that experience is more or less universal except the populations of kids and kid like adults. Cartoons, dodgeball and all that other stuff from early childhood are fun and retro, but only for a while; then you end up looking for something more which the Wii just doesn't have. I've tried the "big hits" every time they come out to see if I can get back into them but they end up just being really derivative and not as fun as I remember (Mario Galaxy/kart, smash bros, zelda, metroid 3 ect). Its amazing how little the main franchises have evolved in decades. Maybe some day a Wii game will come out that can hold my attention for more then a few hours, but I'm starting to doubt it.

Question: What would you have said about those games if they HAD changed the formula?

@Kasz: Ya, I was just about to say that.  Impulsivity making fun of something that he finds is only for impulsive people.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

anyone that says it is a fad for reasons.

1. music genre of some time (90's boy band)
2. haircut (bowl cut, ect.)
3. electronic device (ipod)

Is just stupid, then you can base pretty much anything as a fad. The SNES was a fad, look it ain't selling no more. The PS1 was a fad, the PS2 is looking to be a fad pretty soon.

Fads are something that is huge for a short time. Tickle me elmo (christmas time) they last for a short few months and that is it, they are forgotten then.

This thread is no longer the "Thread of teh Evar".

In fact, its starting to make me a sad panda.

I don't believe the fanboys here....wow..
I thought we were over the 'fad' ideas..
the DS a fad?...I think all of you have to go get a DS and a few 'hardcore' games for it...that the PSP, PS3 and 360 lack....yes...you heard me

the Wii is following this trend....I think you guys really ARE afraid of the new way of gaming..wow..^^''

and I thought Sean Maelstrom was just joking....