By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Most pathetic sales predictions you have heard?

This graph created by a paid analyst is always worth a laugh.

Around the Network

Pathetic tends to imply underestimation, not overestimation. That said, the most genuinely pathetic estimate I saw was the estimate that the Wii would experience a huge sales drop-off as soon as 2008 hit, as projected by a supposedly professional site which rather shot themselves in the foot in that regard by having Wii sales actually be negative for 2012 to allow for the PS3 to actually outsell the Wii that year on their charts. I don't think you can get much more pathetic than that, really: predicting that a system will slow down massively while its competition will speed up massively, and yet still having to make an impossible event occur 5 years down the road from the time of the prediction to make that even happen.

EDIT: How appropriate, Fishy Joe posted one of the charts from that prediction just before I posted this.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

Captian_Twig said:
sc94597 said:
Gamer4life said:

Another SONY fanboy prediction is GT5 selling 10million, PS3 will overtake 360 this year, MGS4 will increase sales of 30k and sustain that level for Ps3 HW, PS3 will outsell 360 in NA, LPB will have 6 million sales(I have seen more), PS3 is selling as well as PS2

The bolded is actually possible. Actually its highly likely.

It is? HUH? I've never heard of GT1, 2, 3, 4 until this year. Maybe because I live in a hole guarded by Miyamoto, Iwata, Mario, and Link and am not allowed to bring in a console that isn't made by Nintendo.

Just look at the sales of the previous games.

First week MGS4 will reach 1m PS3 hardware.
GTA4 PS3 will significantly outsell GTA4 360.
PS3 hardware will outsell 360 hardware by end 2008.

Take your pick.

100 million for PS3 is almost confirmed, but will it do PS2 like numbers?

Around the Network
shanbcn said:

This.

mgs4 will outsell halo 3................not

SKEEZER AND NINTENDO FAN GIRL ARE MY NEMESIS

YES TO BEER

Also: MGS4 will sell more than Mario Kart Wii.

shanbcn said:

If PS3 sells 100 million, I would be willing to say it did almost PS2 like numbers.

I doubt PS3 will do 100 million.

Of course GTA4 will sell >10million and not be strange.

The craziest prediction I've heard is the Wii selling 500 million, wtf?  I like my Wii, but wtf!!!

shanbcn said:

Hey, anyone with a picture of MGS4 for their  little Icon cannot say that is confirmed. Because I think it will have another price drop, bringing it down to 300$, STILL fail to sell, and cost Sony a lot of money. AND YOU CAN USE THIS ONE TOO GUYS!