By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony needs to change their game plan.

CrazzyMan said:
NJ5 said:
CrazzyMan said:

He is not bullshiting!
He just didn`t know the REAL capabilities of PS3, NOW HE KNOWS. It`s far beyond of x360.
Come on, it was 18 month ago!
To achieve PS3 potential is needed TIME, and Kojima HAD that TIME, that`s why now HE STATES, that PS3 is far beyond of x360, because NOW HE KNOWS real capabilities of both system.

Not knowing something doesn`t = bullshit.

Did Kojima work with the 360 enough to be an authority on that? If yes, I'll be the first to admit defeat and apologize to you.

He saw Gears of war, and he worked with ps3 ENOUGH to STATE THAT.

Bodhesatva, Sony has SAME strategy, with ps3, ad it has with psOne and ps2. The only difference, PS3 is most expensive console in this generation, blu-ray is not a standart yet.

Is that a problem? Hmm.. let`s think in long perspective, price will drop, blu-ray with ps3 will be more popular. So that`s wrong? Price won`t drop, blu-ray won`t be a standart? =))

You have nailed and shamed us all. Because:

1- Seeing Gears of War immediately tells you how powerful the 360 can be.

2- The only factors Sony needs to win this generation are price and Blu-Ray.

I think this reply should satisfy everyone. Some can read it as sarcasm, CrazzyMan can read it literally and be happy too. And now we can get back on-topic.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network
Bodhesatva said:

Sony can stand to lose money on the PS3, there's no question. A few billion perhaps, it's hard to say, but they'd probably jettison the division if it kept that up for long.

The problem is that Microsoft can stand to lose even more money than Sony can -- a whole lot more. If Sony makes five dollars elsewhere, Microsoft makes fifty, and that's the problem here. Sony's strategy for market dominance relies on burning those extra 5 dollars, but Microsoft can burn a great deal more than that.

I'm going to re-emphasize this, because I still feel people don't realize the enormous difference between Sony and Microsoft. They see that both companies make billions of dollars, both companies have lots of other avenues of revenue and profit, and see each as giant, money making organizations. They're basically the same, right? No. Microsoft has 7-8 times as much money in reserve and has 10 times as much profit per annum, so it's not even close.

Sooner or later Sony will have to face the reality that Microsoft is not going to run out of funds or abandon the market for more lucrative and greener pastures. Owning 'the box' on your TV is a HUGE deal, but the difference in the high end CE arena is that Sony wants to own that box, while Microsoft needs to own that box. Sony cannot afford, and will not win, a protracted battle with Microsoft if this goes on another seven or ten years with another round of consoles. If Microsoft cannot build a better, more reliable console, they will instead buy exclusivity and/or gobble up the best studios. It's not a major risk for Microsoft, because there will still be a broader value to their business strategy if they wrest exclusivity for all the major software releases, not just in terms of the 360 vs the PS3 and the Wii, but also for the PC vs Linux and OSX.

Sony is a victim of their own success. In beating down all-comers for 10 years and dominating the home console market with a combined 220m units sold, they woke the 800 lb gorilla in Redmond. The PS3 became too ambitious in trying to challenge two markets at once.

The mistakes aren't uncorrectable, but they have significantly stalled the PS3s rate of adoption. The issue Sony will now face is Microsoft beating them to the punch on price drops and Microsoft flexing its muscle with channel stuffing. I'm not really sure how Sony can change their game plan, but towing the line that "all is fine" and "we're in it for the next 10 years," isn't a winning solution. The only route Sony can go right now is to figure out some way to get the price down or to alternately start throwing around a lot of incentives to cross purchase a Sony TV, a PSP, or a whole bunch of BR discs. Another viable option, IMHO, would be to bring back the neutered 20Gb PS3 at $479 to compete with the Elite. The 20Gb versions seemed to be selling well enough even at $499 -- at least in my area they were always out of stock.

"This generation things are different with Microsoft having the headstart and Sony catching up. Microsoft has a decent lead and of course much more money to burn than Sony. There are nearly none 3rd party exclusives left for the PS3."

==> WRONG,
reading u suggest that there will be a lot of exclusivity for Xbox360 du to third party
but in fact, a lot of third party are coming to Xbox360 AND PS3 (multiplateform)
even if GTA IV is the exception that confirm the rule

" The past has shown that even the best 1st party isn't enough to effectivly compete in the marketplace, that's why I can't see Sony doing #2 this generation."

==> forget the past plz, it never happen 2 times ...

" 360 is doing horrible in japan, but so does the PS3. "

==> you re right
BUT
PS3 doesn't have game for the moment
that is not the case of Xbox360 (bluedragon specially targeted for Japan)
Xbox360 will never sell in japan, it offers nothing interesting for japanese people
that is not the case of PS3, slowly but surely, it will begin to sell (think to eye of judgement/everybody's golf, 300k preorder). Wait&See

"America is already locked in favor of the 360 in the fight of the HD consoles,"

==> I think too, PS3 sales but 2 5NPD)  or 3 times (VGC) less than Xbox.360

" which leaves europe and others. I doubt that Sony can offset the 360's lead in america in the other parts of the world, the PS3 is doing pretty much everywhere bad at the moment and instead of gaining it's losing even more ground every week."

==> WRONG,
PS3 does not bad ocnsidering the price and no game currently,
at the opposite, Xbox360 have more game, better price and don't sell very wel in europe (except in UK where Xbox360>PS3) ...
the fact that PS3, with no game and bad price, is no outcompeteted by Xbox360, just show us that nothing is done in europe ...
and when you know that in gamer numbers : europe = usa
you understand why the world war is not over (for PS3/Xbox360 fight casue Wii is .... Wii ^^)

"It's already too late for Sony to change their game plan in this generation. After the launch of a console there isn't much more that can be done other than pricecuts and improving on the existing strengths of the console."

==> right, now it is over about changing this
they just have to hope that "their game", going to be exclusive to PS3 will be able convince people to buy the most expensive system

Time to Work !

Not sure how many people remember this one - its fairly old, and was also pretty low key (for obvious reasons...).

In short - Sony has NO money:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601080&refer=asia&sid=ac.REUfeFG9Q

" July 3 (Bloomberg) -- Sony Corp., the world's second- largest consumer electronics maker, said it took out an 80 billion yen ($698 million) syndicated loan last week, its first long-term bank borrowing in 10 years, to diversify funding sources."

"The company also has more than 513 billion yen outstanding in corporate bonds as of March 31, including 250 billion yen in convertible bonds sold in 2003. In February Sony raised 100 billion yen by selling bonds maturing in four to ten years.

The three-year funding disclosed last week was Sony's first bank loan since the year ended March 1996, Kurata said."

So in other words - Sony didn't have enough cash available, and has been raising cash by selling off corporate bonds (that will need to bought back later) and borrowing low interest-rate loans.

You won't find Nintendo or MS "borrowing" money from the bank!

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Lol, then why did they take the PS3 logo off the main screen? lol. I swear its sad when Sony fans have to try and convince themselves no other system can handle what they have as their only defense against losing it to the 360.