By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Any ideas on a Wii price cut?

Yojimbo, are you Canadian?

Around the Network

Well to re-ask my question:
Do you think a price cut will help Wii at all?
I mean even if it stops selling like it is now, do you think if they lower the price the amount of units sold will increase by a huge amount?

Eventually, of course it's going to get a price cut, but like and others said, not for a while because 1) it's still selling out, and 2) it's the cheapest so there's no need.

As soon as the 360 goes cheaper than the Wii a price cut should soon follow, otherwise, fishamaphone has a pretty good idea how it's going to happen.

He's not asking about when a price drop will occur, just if it would increase demand significantly. I think it would, $250US is only cheap relative to the 360 and PS3. I can't imagine a lower-income household currently viewing the Wii as some sort of impulse buy, that's still a huge demographic that won't be tapped till the end of the life cycle when it's near $100 with a boatload of cheap good games.

Just take a look at the PS2, the majority of sales are after it dropped below $200, and at $130 there's still a lot of buyers who aren't touching the next-gen.

There has already been 1 price cut in the UK, what more do you want!

Around the Network

I do not see a price cut anytime soon, but I think that when demand is met and the userbase is near 20 m Nintendo can make a good reduction in price. PSP went from 250 to 169. Even so the DS is still 130 and selling like blueberry pie. I would like a price cut in DS to 99 and Wii to 199, but those are just my wishes.

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."

A price cut will help. I wont buy one until its 150 or less. Its a PS2 that plays mario with basicly a NES remote...only with motion. The PS3 is high priced for a game console, as is the 360. The pS3 is not just a game console though. That is where its "worth" comes in. With the PS2 the price was high but it played dvds as well. so people could save some money and buy just a PS2....a lot of people did this. With the PS3 they took that a step further and added non-proprietary media readers, upgrade capabilities for the HDD, Location free capabilities and BD support. All of which are very important to me. Had nintendo added a dvd player into the mix then I could consider it. At least I would be able to put a couple in my car to play movies and games......for that the PS2 is doing just fine for now.

Price cuts are tricky, like I said. Any time you cut a price, people will believe your product is less good. Price cuts only work once most of the people who are willing to buy your product at the previous price already have. And who knows when that'll be.

No price cut for Wii in the near future. It is doing too well. There is absolutely no point and Nintendo is not stupid. It is already at the lowest price point any way.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

A price cut would significantly increase demand - $250 is only an "impulse buy" if you're wealthier than average.

It wouldn't drive sales at the moment, or in the foreseeable future, because it's currently being held back by supply, not demand.

As someone else mentioned, I wouldn't expect a price drop until at least just before or at the holidays season 2008, and maybe not then. And while the Galaxy pack-in idea is good in theory, I don't think I see Nintendo taking that route.