By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft E3 Preidictions

Darc Requiem said:
I don't know when MS will announce their price drop. I don't think they will announce anything until the last minute to prevent a sales decline for the 360. That stated the price drop will be $100. A $50 price drop really wouldn't amount to much of anything IMO. A $100 price drop puts the squeeze on the Wii since its $250 and it would kill Sony whether matched the price drop or not. If Sony matches their loses on the PS3 will continue to be obscene, if they don't they will watch both of their competitors eat into their market share at an accelerated rate.
In the case of the Xbox and PS2 at E3 in 2002, MS never hinted, and denied any price drop (like they have), then showed up at E3 and announced the new price @ $200. It was instantaneous and quick. Sony responded within 3 days and did the same, and matched the Xbox's price.
It wouldn't take MS more than 5 minutes to initate the price drop. All they have to do is tell the retailers that the invoices for the 360s are now at X or Y, and to drop the prices. I wouldn't be suprised if the wholesale price for the 360 is already well below the $399.98 mark at launch.
Best case scenario: MS drops their price ala 2k2, and Sony is forced to knee-jerk their price down to $499 for the 60gb, and announces that the 20gb is permanantly axed.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.