By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation 3 update 2.4--whaaattt!? It's been removed from servers!

even the Firmware delayed ?? ... plz sony.

Around the Network

Just saw this being discussed on XPlay, but they didn't mention the update was temporarily pulled. Just that there was an issue with consoles possibly locking up.

BAM! There it is!

Wii Code 3456 7941 4060 2924
COD MW Reflex 541192229709
leo-j said:  "if you take the HDD out of the "bricked" console and completely wipe it clean, you can run 2.4 just fine."

I don't think many people want to remove and wipe a hard drive for the update to work. Even when the update is available again, it might be wise to wait until all the kinks are worked out before upgrading your own machine. 

BAM! There it is!

Wii Code 3456 7941 4060 2924
COD MW Reflex 541192229709

Got mine already but I don't have any games that support trophies. I really wish people would stop reading so much into this situation it's like the internet has become just as sensationalist as the American television media except they do so with all things geek instead of all things.

Aprisaiden said:
@fastyxx -- whats your problem ? Very few people have had any issues with the update but to be on the safe side SONY is retesting the update to find any possible bugs...
You really shouldn't complain -- you proberly would be upset if the update affected you and it was released and now your upset becuase it dosn't effect you ....

You really should work in PR:

"Very few people have had any issues with the update"

read: Only 1 person on Vgchartz has an issue with the firmware so therefore only 1% of PS3 must have this issue.

"to be on the safe side SONY is retesting the update"

read: I'm only looking at the "happier" side of probability. The other possibility is that the issue is so wide spread that sony is forced to pull the firmware down.

NO ONE but sony knows how wide spread this issue is, so before it is known, let's not talk about how few or how many people have been affected by this.

Anyway, I'm glad most of your PS3's are fine, haven't updated it myself yet since I'm stuck on 64k.

Around the Network
fastyxx said:
Yakuzaice said:
fastyxx said:
Just when you think Sony is pulling its head out of its butt. *SLURP* Right back in. They're irritating in almost every regard. It's like "Hey, we have momentum. We should screw something up now before the fans get too happy!"

Except it works perfectly fine, and it is just a few people who have a problem like every FW update.

Yes.  It works so great that they pulled it out of service.  Very optimistic of you.  Clearly all the people having problems don't matter, as long as "everyone I know" has had no problems, as if all these fanboys saying that actually checked in with their whole list - especially since, like my buddy, they wouldn't be able to actually log in to tell you it was screwed up.

It was "perfectly fine", I'd be able to download it right now.  Quit drinking the Kool-Aid.

Out of around 500 posts I have read of people saying whether their system works, there is one person here and one person on neogaf with bricked ps3's.  Sounds pretty much fine to me.  Sony is likely just being overly cautious considering the publicity of the FW update.   But I guess I'll just keep drinking the kool-aid and play my perfectly fine 2.40 PS3.

just to add, it took a hell of a long time for me to download 2.40, but it works fine playing both ps3 and ps2 games.

For those of you who think this isn't a big deal, a couple of thoughts--

1. It IS a big deal. Someone said this only effected 3,000 PS3s. I can't possibly imagine that being true, and that's based only on what I've seen on web forums so far. At the beginning of the day it looked like a glitch. By about lunch time I was seeing reports of widespread problems. By the time I got home from work, Sony had pulled the update.

2. The only way to recover from this is to format your hard drive. You will lose all your games, all your saves, all your DLC, and any other "stuff" you had on there. If I had to do that, I would be royally pissed and would probably be hesitant to download future firmware releases.

3. Software compatibility issues keep popping up on the PS3. There were problems with some major releases being incompatible, there were problems with PS2 backward compatibility, there are problems with firmware, etc.

While this kind of stuff isn't as wide spread as the RRoD was, it is damaging to the PS3's repuation like the RRoD was to the Xbox 360. Maybe not on the same magnitude, but I think it's now safe to say that the PS3 officially has "reliability issues" of its own. And they're coming in the form of software bricks from Sony.

Domicinator said:
For those of you who think this isn't a big deal, a couple of thoughts--

1. It IS a big deal. Someone said this only effected 3,000 PS3s. I can't possibly imagine that being true, and that's based only on what I've seen on web forums so far. At the beginning of the day it looked like a glitch. By about lunch time I was seeing reports of widespread problems. By the time I got home from work, Sony had pulled the update.

2. The only way to recover from this is to format your hard drive. You will lose all your games, all your saves, all your DLC, and any other "stuff" you had on there. If I had to do that, I would be royally pissed and would probably be hesitant to download future firmware releases.

3. Software compatibility issues keep popping up on the PS3. There were problems with some major releases being incompatible, there were problems with PS2 backward compatibility, there are problems with firmware, etc.

While this kind of stuff isn't as wide spread as the RRoD was, it is damaging to the PS3's repuation like the RRoD was to the Xbox 360. Maybe not on the same magnitude, but I think it's now safe to say that the PS3 officially has "reliability issues" of its own. And they're coming in the form of software bricks from Sony.

Its a matter of statistics. we have roughly 998 people on NeoGAF and VGChartz saying that they updated their consoles fine, and 2 people saying it bricked theirs. Following that through, there are 14,000 1,000's in the PS3's user base (14,000,000) 2 people per 1,000 means 28,000 people are affected out of 14,000,000. Thats of course a non-scientific survey, but its what we have to go on.

I would call that a VERY small deal. Sad for the 28,000, very sad. But Im pretty sure a bigger percentage of people buy new cars that break down in the first week.

Just like most things, it gets blown out of proportion by Fanboys and the media. end of story. It'll be back up before the end of the week.

I own all three current consoles and a great gaming rig, now thats out of the way.

This space Reserved for the Nuggets of Wisdom dropped by Bladeforce:

"Why post something like this when all it will get is PS3 owners blinded to reality replying? BOTH THE PS3 AND BLUE-RAY WILL NOT LAST 3 YEARS! TECHNOLOGY CHANGED TOO FAST!"

"is it Wii FIt that has sold as many as PS3's sold? Thats a LOL Look at the total sales of software is it just me that sees Nintendo titles hitting 10m+ and you say they arent making a difference? Another LOL!"

"Hell, with all the negative hype Sony spin, people just aren't interested cost is too high and to get the true HD experience (1080p, 7.1 surround) you will need a $1000+ system. THAT IS GOING TO DO IT IN A RECESSION! PS4 will not happen"

Ha i bet the fanbots are having fun with this one, but i'll laughing when your "3D GUI" fw update implodes your console. I patched, no problems for me, i guess they pulled it because of the limited trophy support and the non-existent in game custom music. EPIC FAIL SONY, but i do enjoy pulling up the xmb while playing GRID. Ha im trolling my own console, but i was disappointed with this update. EPIC FAIL