By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation 3 update 2.4--whaaattt!? It's been removed from servers!

I haven't had a single issue.  Up until this thread the only thing I had heard was a persons PS3 crashing when they launched F@H while playing GTA4.

Around the Network

I can't keep my two PS3's running since the upgrade...

So far it is crap for me.

wow Sony, i guess they released it too early.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

Yeah, Squilliam will be here any second. (You know its in good humor big man)

Seriously though, as a person who works at Microsoft in the Xbox division, I can confirm how hard it is to do firmware updates with substantial changes.

Everyone should realize something:

************READ***************-----------------------------------------------------------------------

When the PS3 first launched the OS took up 96 mb of ram. That was terrible, since devs had to allocate ram for games and when you take 256 (since PS3 ram is split into two) and subtract 96 mb of ram - you come up with 160 available.

Ever since launch Sony has been doing as much as they can reduce the footprint of the OS WHILE adding features. This is no easy task. Concurrently its heavily rumored that the ram usage is around or under 40 mb of ram.

Since than, if you guys haven't noticed, PS3 multiplatform games have looked considerably better, and first party titles have shined in a way they haven't before.

There is a reason In-Game-Voice chat / messaging, Cross-Game Invites, and the XMB is unavailable during blurays / ps2 games. They will all come in time, but its hard to add things and remove lines of code at the same time.  The biggest challenge was to get the XMB into the system.  In the future you better believe you'll see caching of thumbnails in your XMB so things don't have to reload from scratch.

I predict in the next update they will remove many of the elements of the XMB that prove to be useless during IN-Game.  There should be no good reason Folding at Home, the Internet Browser, and User change settings are available in the XMB In game.  I expect a more streamlined and gutted XMB.  This will help remove clutter and fix lockups.

I can highlight someways of lockups, if anyone wants to play bug tester for a day (its my day job :) ).   

Console Agnostic since 2001.

mine works fine. everyone on my list doesn't seem to have any issues either. this happens with every single major ps3 update. a bunch of ps3's go hay wire and mess up with the update. why is everyone reacting like it's never happened before?

Around the Network

Whaaaaaaaaa? I was just going to update now.... :C

Sony, while attempting to Copy one of Xbox360's most enjoyed features , gamescore, instead find themselves copying one of Xbox360's least favourite features, bricking consoles.

Really is a shame. Hope for those who installed it successfully it's not a time bomb, and that they figure out the problem shortly!

See Ya George.

"He did not die - He passed Away"

At least following a comedians own jokes makes his death easier.

Fuzzmosis said:
Sony, while attempting to Copy one of Xbox360's most enjoyed features , gamescore, instead find themselves copying one of Xbox360's least favourite features, bricking consoles.

Really is a shame. Hope for those who installed it successfully it's not a time bomb, and that they figure out the problem shortly!

Thanks for adding nothing remotely intelligent to the conversation troll.

Console Agnostic since 2001.

I haven't had any issues yet. Will post them if I do.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

I guess microsoft can start charging for live again :)