By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - What is wrong with Xbox360 sales in NAmerica

I'm starting to think that MS might be completely disregarding the Wii, which is a mistake, but probably not for the reason most of you think it is.

By only paying attention to Sony, MS is keeping the 360 price artificially high because the PS3 isn't moving units. They still have the price advantage so why should they cut their profits?

One problem with that thinking: The PS3 is going to build some serious steam in 2008. By dropping the price and getting people to adopt into the 360 family in 2007, MS essentially blocks a PS3 sale in 2008. That means they can continue to gain ground on Sony WW until at least holiday season next year, making any late-generation push by Sony essentially futile, or at least hold them off enough until Xbox 3 is released in 2011. They basically guarantee themselves a strong second place finish (and possibly even a profitable generation for once) and an open road to continue growth into generation eight.

Nintendo, while also a gaming console, only mildly overlaps with MS and their grand strategy. Nintendo is also completely untouchable this generation but MS needs to at least hang in there and waiting for Sony to make the first move is folly on their part.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network

NA x360:
by NPD 5,6 mln.
by VGC 6,4 mln.

why is there such gap?

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

Because your an idiot that cannot read nor check the website.

NPD numbers = United States of America only.
VGChartz = USA, Canada and Meixco. Canada and Mexico add around 10% (or 560k from the NPD numbers), plus another week ontop of the sales for the US.

So that ends up equaling out to around 6.2m far less off than what you think.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

800k sold in Canada and Mexico? that`s HUGE market share then.

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

HappySqurriel said:

There is an upper limit on the number of people who are willing to pay (much) more than $200 for a videogame system. The XBox 360 launched for $100 more than most successful systems and has been out for 18 months without a price drop; we're hitting a point where anyone who was willing to spend $400 on an XBox 360 owns it.

Right. There are very few instance of a system priced more than $200 selling great. The PS2 did very well at the $300 price early on, but it didn't dominate until it dropped to $200. The Wii is doing great at $250 right now, it's really capturing the imagination of casual and non gamers everwhere, but it coming with a pack in game makes up for the extra $50 cost. I think the big question is what prices do the 360 and PS3 have to get to in order to get the casual gamer not willing to make a huge investment on a console interested. I'd say $200 for the 360 and $300 to maybe $350 for the PS3 factoring in Blue Ray if that becomes the standard. The soonest either of those things could happen is probably 2009. I don't think Halo 3 or even a price cut to $300 is going to give the 360 any kind of insane boosts, though they'll certainly help to some extent. For the near future they're hardcore gamer systems for those that can afford it.

Around the Network
mrstickball said:
Because your an idiot that cannot read nor check the website.

NPD numbers = United States of America only.
VGChartz = USA, Canada and Meixco. Canada and Mexico add around 10% (or 560k from the NPD numbers), plus another week ontop of the sales for the US.

So that ends up equaling out to around 6.2m far less off than what you think.

ahh finally someone that knows how to shut up crazzyman :D

Edit : 300 /flex

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

Figure right now there are a lot of gamers who have waited this long for the 360, and think they may as well wait a few more months under the assumption that there will be a price cut. Whatever good games are being released will still be available in the fall (though I suspect most will be buying Halo 3).

Neos said:
NPD is wrong trust me =)

Uh? Wow what ignorance.

mr stickball was a bit harsh, but he is correct...no need to come down on crazzyman after he's been corrected.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

I still dont see why everyone thinks MS ignoring Nintendo is this horribly bad thing. I truly believe that the hardcore and mainstream markets can coexist and can certainly support both of them. MS needs to focus on shutting Sony out of the picture. Just shut them down. If MS becomes the #2 then they have got it made. I seriously think this gen is going to be massive hardware wise. I dont think the Wii is just going to kill everything else off. Thats a very fanboyish dream IMO. If Sega and Nintendo were able to coexist when the market was so much smaller, then the Wii and 360 can certainly coexist.