By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 software will equal Wii's

Found this on Google news

It said: "On Sony's camp, analysts from DFC believe that the PlayStation 3 will equal the Wii in annual software sales by 2012, which would be more than halfway into its 10-year. They make no mention of how it would do with hardware sales though."

http://mmorpg.qj.net/Analyst-Wii-not-a-fad-PS3-software-will-equal-Wii-s-360-leads-in-US-and-UK/pg/49/aid/121723

So do you guys think this well happen?

Edit: Just some numbers for you guys, as of March 31, 2008 The PS3 sold 71.3 million in software and the Wii sold 148.44 million (According to Wikipedia)

Around the Network

Who knows this is 3-4 years in the future. I do not think that it is impossible. 3-4 years are a long time and Nintendo already has its biggest exclusives and a competitive price point. Sony needs both and who knows what they can do with adding motion controls. Not probable but not impossible.

I don't think the PS3 is going to last 10 years.

the PS2 is in what, year 8? and the past year it is selling pathetically. If it does have a 10 year life span, it won't be selling much in years 8 9 and 10, not even the PS2 could do that. I predict PS3 to have the PS2 year 8 slow down at year 5.

I don't really think it is going to happen ...

The Wii is steadily climbing to 50% marketshare, and because of its larger userbase the Wii's software sales are really starting to take off. As the Wii consistently retains its hardware dominance it will become more and more important to third party publishers which will effectively prevent the PS3 from mounting a come-back.

In 2010/2011 the PS3 will have enough trouble attempting to convince third party publishers that the higher development expenses are justified given that the PS3's userbase will be so much smaller.

No. Undoubtedly some of the PS3's big exclusives will sell as high as some of the Wii's big exclusives, but that's because on a system with so few exclusives, every good game is a million seller. (This is also known as the "Gamecube Effect.")

But in terms of total software sales? Not a chance.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

Around the Network

Why are analysts so bad at what they do?

PC + Wii owners unite.  Our last-gen dying platforms have access to nearly every 90+ rated game this gen.  Building a PC that visually outperforms PS360 is cheap and easy.    Oct 7th 2010 predictions (made Dec 17th '08)
PC: 10^9
Wii: 10^8

Never gonna happen. There's no possible scenario other than that of Wii stopping selling all of a sudden.

Who ever believes the contrary, give me a good reason of why this could be possible, dont just say "Nothing is impossible" or "PS3 will make a comeback soon, just wait and see" those are wishful answers.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

A prediction for 2012 is ridiculai (several layers of ridiculousness) but i think it is possible.

The PS1 was discontinued in March 23rd 2006, 11 years after it was released selling a total of 102.49million units.

The PS2 will be discontinued also in its 11th year with a total of 135million - 140million untis sold.

The PS3 will reach its 10 year life cycle whether it sells in its final years is unknown but Sony will not discontinue it until it has reached its 10th year.

End of 2014 Hardware Predictions (03/03/14)

PlayStation 4: 12-15million

Xbox One: 7-10 million

Wii U: 8-9 million (Changed 01/04/2014 from 7-9 --> 8-9 million)

Garcian Smith said:
No. Undoubtedly some of the PS3's big exclusives will sell as high as some of the Wii's big exclusives, but that's because on a system with so few exclusives, every good game is a million seller. (This is also known as the "Gamecube Effect.")

But in terms of total software sales? Not a chance.

That's just idiotic. What kind of exclusives? Currently the Wii has several exclusives that even the top selling PS3 game may never touch. Besides, how much did the top selling Gamecube game sell? I'll tell you: 7.08 million. Was that the best it could do against the other systems?

And every good game is a million seller? No...every game that appeals to the demographics of the system is a million seller. There were plenty of good games that were on the Gamecube and failed to reach a million whereas several bad games featuring Mario or Sonic did. What does that tell you? The average PS3 owner likes shooters or racers, which makes sense as the system is popular in Europe.

Plenty of good PS3 games have failed to sell much at all, so again, it boils down to demographics and hype.

lol...i had expected something about quality of the games when read the thread title.

on topic: i find it unlikely.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur