By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Can someone school me on Singstar PS3?

My significant other wants a PS3 to play singstar... I have read that you can download more songs and such but I'm interested in the cost, how it works, the selection of songs, etc.  I'm concerned about her getting tired of the selection of songs and want to know how much expansion and such there is.  Gimmie the lowdown as I can't justify $500 bucks for a PS3 unless she really wants it...  Her birthday is coming up so maybe a PS3 80gig MGS4 bundle (with singstar, of course) would get me some...

I saw a couple of MGS4 bundles at target this weekend so if I do pull the trigger, I'm hoping one is still there..

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

Around the Network

Each song is$1.50. You could get a 80GB PS3 to play the PS2 expansions, but you could just download them from the PS3 store anyway and exclude the ones you don't want. I was very pleasantly surprised at how much I actually liked the game.

Of the downloads there are over 120 rock songs, and over 140 pop songs (I think) to choose from, that would pretty much appeal to most people.

[URL=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SingStar_(PlayStation_3)]Download List[/URL]

Cool, so all PS2 singstar songs are downloadable a-la-carte? That's huge.... $1.50 isn't too bad, I guess. Cheaper than Rockband DLs at least.

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

Yep, well. at least most of them. For instance, I know you cannot download any Pearl Jam whereas the song 'Alive' is on the PS2 version of 'Amped'.

In Europe there is already a Singstar Volume 2 for the PS3. That should be coming state-side later on this year.

Around the Network

Singstar is fantastic, its a great game to pull out when you have parties or social gatherings (family and wild ones and everything in between.) Its actually one of the biggest reasons why I bought the PS3 in the first place.

Sony updates the SingStore with new songs every 14th day. Usually it is just songs from the PS2 games that are ported but there are some new ones too.
So, no. The old songs are not all available on the SingStore, but they keep coming in.
And yes, it is a great game for some simple fun ^^

I am also curious for Singstar PS3 - Can you turn OFF the vocals for the songs? That is, make it more of a Karaoke style "game"?

In PS2 singstar, I can't figure out if you can turn off the vocals - so I think you cannot in PS2 singstar.

Also, can you burn a song that you buy on your hard drive and port it to your PC/Ipod?

Because if you're buying a "song" for $1.50, maybe you can burn a cd and listen to it in your car.

That way, the song can have 2 purposes - gaming and portable listening.

Any answers?

Sony updates every 2 weeks for 30-50 more songs. 1.50 per song also give you the music video (HD if available).

I got it, and it's a lot of fun. I was surprised how much my parents enjoyed it.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.