By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Can someone school me on Singstar PS3?

kn said:
akuma587 said:
From everything I have read you can just pop in a Singstar PS2 disc in the PS3 (assuming you have backwards compatibility) and play it without any problems. They do use the same mics after all. I am still waiting to hear about wireless mics.

I've got the 80 gig so BC is no issue but is gameplay the same between the two?  In other words, is it essentially identical in terms of actual game features?

I don't think there is a lot of difference. Just make sure the songs you are after aren't already on the SingStore, or I would say you wasted your money :P

Around the Network
Rainbird said:
kn said:
akuma587 said:
From everything I have read you can just pop in a Singstar PS2 disc in the PS3 (assuming you have backwards compatibility) and play it without any problems. They do use the same mics after all. I am still waiting to hear about wireless mics.

I've got the 80 gig so BC is no issue but is gameplay the same between the two?  In other words, is it essentially identical in terms of actual game features?

I don't think there is a lot of difference. Just make sure the songs you are after aren't already on the SingStore, or I would say you wasted your money :P

Too late.  I bought the PS3 version of singstar because I wanted my wife and daughter to be able to access the online song catalog.  I'll have to buy the PS2 versions to get the songs she wants as there was literally only 2 or 3 songs on the PS3 singstar she wanted and about 5 online.   I'll just have to wait and hope that *most* of the PS2 singstar songs eventually make it online even if it means I have to buy "packs" of good songs coupled with rubbish so they don't lose their profit margin.  Bottom line is that I should have researched it a bit more.  I didn't however, and my consolation prize is a shiny new PS3.  I'll take it.

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

So you can't buy all the songs for Singstar on PS online?

Each country has a list of different songs available? That would suck, as I am familiar with some older songs that were popular in Europe/Asia/Australia.

Yeah, the songs vary unfortunately. Maybe that will change over time but right now they seem to be adding a lot of "indie" stuff. I'll just have to suck it up and try to find used copies of the PS2 stuff. I believe there is a country one coming out in October which my wife would most definitely like...

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.