By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Oblivion the only multiplatform game that looks signifcantly better on PS3

Those screen shots and"comparisons" are not true representations of those games on the PS3. If they want to do a fair comparison dont handicap the PS3 by using its Component outputs and keeping the settings at 720P. Use the 360s best output...HDMI 1.2 on the Elite, and the PS3s best output...HDMI 1.3a on the PS3. The games look much better and more full of color using the HDMI on the PS3. They focused on that input and there analog outputs have suffered. Naturally the 360 should look better using the component output as thats all they had for HD and have focused there processing on the analog side

Around the Network

I would say FIght Night 3 also looks significantly better on PS3 .And NBA 2k7 ,Ridge Racer 7 ,Madden 07 and others look slighty better .

The wierd thing is that spiderman 3 in my 1080p tv looks alot better than the picture they showed comparing it to the 360 version. The only reason why the 360 looked better other than the resolution problem is that, developers are lazy as idiots that just simply port the game not re develop it to make use of some ps3 hardware.

mM
darendt said:
Those screen shots and"comparisons" are not true representations of those games on the PS3. If they want to do a fair comparison dont handicap the PS3 by using its Component outputs and keeping the settings at 720P. Use the 360s best output...HDMI 1.2 on the Elite, and the PS3s best output...HDMI 1.3a on the PS3. The games look much better and more full of color using the HDMI on the PS3. They focused on that input and there analog outputs have suffered. Naturally the 360 should look better using the component output as thats all they had for HD and have focused there processing on the analog side

Sony didn't ship a HDMI cable with the PS3 so they probably don't think that's necessary. j/k

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

leo-j said:
The wierd thing is that spiderman 3 in my 1080p tv looks alot better than the picture they showed comparing it to the 360 version. The only reason why the 360 looked better other than the resolution problem is that, developers are lazy as idiots that just simply port the game not re develop it to make use of some ps3 hardware.

Off topic, but it's funny you call the developers lazy idiots.  You know, the people that makes those games you play and those things that make you even come on gaming message boards.  Stop being a little twat and at least show some respect for them.  I don't think you quite know how hard it is to just port something so don't assume that they are lazy because of some imagined reason.

Around the Network

One question (not trolling):

In every PS3 game, the blacks aren't nearly as rich as the 360. Is this due to the advanced shaders in the Xenos? Bad screenies from the PS3?

Every game I've seen has it. CoD, Oblivion, that lousy mech game, etc.

The textures are definitely nicer on the PS3 though but I really like the saturated black on the 360. Tough call overall but I realize these are frozen screenshots and indicate nothing about framerate or playability.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

ckmlb said:

Most of the games look really similar with small differences here and there with lighting and blurriness or edges or whatnot, but it looks like Bethesda was the only company to actually put effort into making their game release on the PS3 that was a year later actually look signifcantly better.

Here's a feature that Gamespot do often comparing 360 and PS3 multiplat games' graphics:

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6171831/p-5.html

Oblivion was the only one that looked better on PS3 significantly (as in more than what you notice by looking really closely)

Those look more due to better mapping on the textures. That could just as easily be due to them using their resources better, than the PS3's specs.

Not cliaming the PS3 won't have advantages, but it would have to be something where every explaination other than the PS3's abilities is eliminated as an explaination.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

@ RocketPig

If your HDTV supports it, try to enable the full HDMI output feature on your PS3 using the latest firmware update. This can make a big difference, if your TV doesn't support this feature (no better output) try adjusting the contrast and brightness levels of your TV set.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

The differences that I am seeing is a little bit sharper texture detail on the PS3 with the brightness turned up. Unless you are actually playing the two with side by side screenshots, you would not be able to tell the difference. If this tiny bit of improvement is actually considered noticably better than you have got your heads up your asses. Noticably better means you don't need side by side screenshots to figure it out. Tell me when the PS3 actually has something better.

wow....it looks soooo much better,,,er....wait..no...as other people have said..it looks like the brightness is turned up. Personally...these screenshots look worse then what i seen on my friends 360 when he was playing this game...hmm...

"Tell me why does it have to be so hard

to let go when it?s your final day

...When death is on it's way"