By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - America sales up!!! Normal week?! what stands out?

Mifely said:
.... and I think "cheapest console" goes alot further than most think.

Actually I think it doesn't go quite as far as many think.  I'd say "best value" goes a lot further.  And I understand that's relative since for many people a PS3 is the "best value" but for the mass casual gamers a Wii is a better value than a 360 if they really want to buy a Wii and play with their friends.  They don't get that same experience with the 360/PS3 so the price of the Wii is irrelevant as the value is much better.  They aren't going to jump on the Arcade SKU over the Wii on price alone.  Just like in Others, I see a 360 increase after the price cut.  But also like in Others I see Wii still on top.

Around the Network
Str8knox said:
So, leo-j's always been like this huh? And you guys have put up with him ever since the site started? Why don't you guys just ban him already instead of constantly responding to him?

You may want to look up the word 'tolerance'. It'll do you wonders socially.

OT: Wow at the Wii. As Rubang mentioned in another thread, it'll quickly reach 50% market share, I wonder where it'll peak though? If I were to guess, it'd be around 60-65% but even that may be somewhat conservative.

carlos710 said:
Pristine20 said:
carlos710 said:
leo-j said:
carlos710 said:

x360 is cheaper in Europe... and may be cheaper in America soon.

And yes, is all about the games - thats exactly why the Wii is doing so great =)) Galaxy, brawl, zelda, metroid, kart, etc... and Nintendo is just starting, expect a huge lineup of AAA software for the Wii in the upcoming months =))

Are you saying the wii has the best games?

yes, and obviously most people agree with me.

You're sure most people agree with you or they just want to swing a nunchuk?

man, stop trolling i dont want to see you banned

The Wii has a great collection of games for everybody... new/old, hardcore/casual gamers... thats why is selling so well, there isn't any secret behind Wii's success.

As long as there is good supply it will sell like this and even more in America

I don't really have anything against nintendo, they just have nothing for me. I can't stand their character designs...grew out of them back in the snes era. Killer Instinct was my fav game on snes. I used to visit my friend everyday just to play it but then, nintendo sold rare and there's nothing left for me on their systems. Why can't they release games with realistic character models? Graphics aren't my problem as I'm currently playing a ps1 game.

For the record, I'm not trolling since this is a sales discussion not a nintendo forum.

Also, my little brother coaxed my mum into buying the wii because HE ENJOYED SWINGING THE NUNCHUK (hint:there are people like that).

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Pristine, you are stating that not all people want games with goofy characters huh? I wander why almost all of the Wii's big guns are on their way to 6 mil. How many 360 and Ps3 games have made it?

360: 1
Ps3: None

Just cause a game has cartoon looking characters doesn't mean it won't have a lot of buyers. (which is why Ratchet and Clank series will always be one of my best vg series of all time.)

The Wii has little chance of reaching a 60%-65% marketshare - that could only happen if Sony/MS actually pulled/stop selling their consoles - and that is very unlikely.

The Wii will also lose marketshare over Xmas (like last year), because it will be more supply constrained than either the 360 or PS3. But it will likely pick up share again early in the new year '09 (etc).

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Around the Network
Str8knox said:
Pristine, you are stating that not all people want games with goofy characters huh? I wander why almost all of the Wii's big guns are on their way to 6 mil. How many 360 and Ps3 games have made it?

360: 1
Ps3: None

Just cause a game has cartoon looking characters doesn't mean it won't have a lot of buyers. (which is why Ratchet and Clank series will always be one of my best vg series of all time.)

Its only natural that when clueless people like my mum walked into the store to buy the wii, she was told to buy SSBB and SMG when she asked for advise on games. People like her are really boosting the wii's sales. When nintendo's 1st party titles comprise over 90% of the good titles on the wii. With its hardware sales, its only natural that its 1st party software see 6 mil easily.

I never said people don't like cartoons I like cartoon characters. I just like REALISTIC character models. I love tales of the abyss (ps2). Its a cartoon  but it has REALISTIC character models not big head, small body and weird creatures. This is why FFIX ranks last in my list of FFs. I was just pointing out that people like me exist and did not wish to speak for everyone else. Hope this clarifies things.

For the record, I don't like ratchet and clank either but sony offers alternatives like uncharted while nintendo rarely ever does.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

shams said:
The Wii has little chance of reaching a 60%-65% marketshare - that could only happen if Sony/MS actually pulled/stop selling their consoles - and that is very unlikely.

The Wii will also lose marketshare over Xmas (like last year), because it will be more supply constrained than either the 360 or PS3. But it will likely pick up share again early in the new year '09 (etc).

It seems to be possible at the rate the wii is going. It may come close to ps2 marketshare. I also think nintendo would've fixed their supply constraints by then.

Pristine20 said:

I don't really have anything against nintendo, they just have nothing for me. I can't stand their character designs...grew out of them back in the snes era. Killer Instinct was my fav game on snes. I used to visit my friend everyday just to play it but then, nintendo sold rare and there's nothing left for me on their systems. Why can't they release games with realistic character models? Graphics aren't my problem as I'm currently playing a ps1 game.

For the record, I'm not trolling since this is a sales discussion not a nintendo forum.

Also, my little brother coaxed my mum into buying the wii because HE ENJOYED SWINGING THE NUNCHUK (hint:there are people like that).

Trolling has nothing to do with saying "bad" things about Nintendo - its about injecting posts into a thread that are off-topic, in an inflammatory fashion.

Saying you don't like "Nintendo's games" is one thing - but that is not a valid reason to bash a console (any console). There are plenty of games with "realistic graphics and characters" on the Wii.

And Rare? Banjo? Jet Set Gemini? Donkey Kong? Do these games have "realistic graphics"?

And whats wrong with "Enjoying swinging a nunchuck"? Do you think that is wierd behaviour or something? Have you ever seen or played WiiSports? The entire attraction of the game to most people revolves around the immension of using "motion" to control the game - i.e. "its fun".

Anyway - lets try to get back onto "sales", as this is a sales thread in the sales forum...

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

shams said:
The Wii will also lose marketshare over Xmas (like last year), because it will be more supply constrained than either the 360 or PS3.

I'm not so sure about that.  Nintendo saw what happened last year and they are smart enough to realize as popular as the Wii is it won't be this popular forever.  I'm guessing they are going to want to demolish some records this holiday and make sure not a single parent decides to pick another video game system because they couldn't find a Wii for little Jimmy.  Just by stockpiling in Jan/Feb/Mar they were able to flood enough HW into NA to own GTA launch week.  And that was before production increases so i'm thinking there will be major intense stockpiling going on at Nintendo HQ.

Plus I wouldn't put it past retailers to stockpile in their own warehouses.  That way they can compete to have the "biggest Wii inventory" in the holidays.

leo-j said:
carlos710 said:

x360 is cheaper in Europe... and may be cheaper in America soon.

And yes, is all about the games - thats exactly why the Wii is doing so great =)) Galaxy, brawl, zelda, metroid, kart, etc... and Nintendo is just starting, expect a huge lineup of AAA software for the Wii in the upcoming months =))

Are you saying the wii has the best games?

What's the market saying?  We both know the answer to that.

the2bears - the indie shmup blog