By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - "Gears of War 2 More Emotionally Effecting Than BioShock"

rocketpig said:
Riachu said:
Gobias said:
fkusumot said:

Oscar worthy dialogue confirmed?

lol.

I keep asking this question but no one seems to be answering it.  What makes dialogue corny?  People say MGS4 has corny dialouge but I am not seeing why though so if someone can explain how the MGS4 dialouge is corny, please do so.

Predictable, repetitive, poorly worded, longwinded... Just plain bad. Dunno quite how to describe it. Watch a few movies on the AFI 100 and read a few classic novels and good writing versus bad writing becomes very apparent.

Some pieces can pull off corny writing and it make it fun (the first two Star Wars movies, for example). But when the flow of the piece is fragmented by ill-timed and bad dialogue, corny turns shitty very quickly (think Independence Day or pretty much any Michael Bay movie).

Stop trying to tell people that what they enjoy isn't good. I've seen a lot of those movies and read a lot of books, and I very much enjoy MGS dialogue and story telling.

Around the Network

^^I have so many problems with the AFI list. They have so many movies on their because of their percieved classicness. Its mostly because they are old. I agree with lots of them though. I mostly think foreign films are better than American anyway.

Riachu said:
leo-j said:
Not to be a troll or anything, but didnt cliffy B say they dont want to make a MGS4 game?

MGS4 is the emotional game ever created.

Cliff said that he didn't want to make a slower paced game, he never said anything about not wanting to make a emotional game

I find it hard that CliffyB would be able to make an emotional game considering the guy exists in only 2 states:  douchebag and sleeping.  He must have had to hire some emo-rockers to help write the script.

Bethesda's Todd Howard "if install base really mattered, we'd all make board games, because there are a lot of tables."

Feel free to add me ...

PSN ID - jedson328
XBL Gamertag - jedson328

windbane said:
rocketpig said:
Riachu said:
Gobias said:
fkusumot said:

lol.

I keep asking this question but no one seems to be answering it. What makes dialogue corny? People say MGS4 has corny dialouge but I am not seeing why though so if someone can explain how the MGS4 dialouge is corny, please do so.

Predictable, repetitive, poorly worded, longwinded... Just plain bad. Dunno quite how to describe it. Watch a few movies on the AFI 100 and read a few classic novels and good writing versus bad writing becomes very apparent.

Some pieces can pull off corny writing and it make it fun (the first two Star Wars movies, for example). But when the flow of the piece is fragmented by ill-timed and bad dialogue, corny turns shitty very quickly (think Independence Day or pretty much any Michael Bay movie).

Stop trying to tell people that what they enjoy isn't good. I've seen a lot of those movies and read a lot of books, and I very much enjoy MGS dialogue and story telling.

I agree somewhat.  MGS4 has really good storytelling for a video game.  Not only that, but the cutscenes, while often very lengthy and wordy, are also very well done with no awkward pauses or poor lipsyncing.

jedson328 said:
Riachu said:
leo-j said:
Not to be a troll or anything, but didnt cliffy B say they dont want to make a MGS4 game?

MGS4 is the emotional game ever created.

Cliff said that he didn't want to make a slower paced game, he never said anything about not wanting to make a emotional game

I find it hard that CliffyB would be able to make an emotional game considering the guy exists in only 2 states: douchebag and sleeping. He must have had to hire some emo-rockers to help write the script.

Epic Games hired a novelist(I forgot his name) to write GoW2's plot and script

Around the Network

I didn't realize the 30 second endings to Bioshock conveyed such emotion to people.

Although now that I think about it I can't real the last time someone compared two FPS based solely on plot development let alone emotional impact.

flagship said:
I didn't realize the 30 second endings to Bioshock conveyed such emotion to people.

Although now that I think about it I can't real the last time someone compared two FPS based solely on plot development let alone emotional impact.

That's because this is the first time developers are trying to put emotional impact in FPSs

Hahahhahahahaha, I thought the title said "God of War 2" at first, I was really thrown for a loop. Like, "what the hell did I miss??"

windbane said:
rocketpig said:
Riachu said:
Gobias said:
fkusumot said:

lol.

I keep asking this question but no one seems to be answering it.  What makes dialogue corny?  People say MGS4 has corny dialouge but I am not seeing why though so if someone can explain how the MGS4 dialouge is corny, please do so.

I don't have any problems with people who like MGS4 (after all, I've played all the games myself and enjoyed parts of all of them), I only have problems with people who try to tell me that the games are storytelling masterpieces.

They're not.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Riachu said:
kowenicki said:
Riachu said:
kowenicki said:
@ el-rica and shanbcn

You boys need to check your figures.... metal gear at 3m? sell another million in the next week? gears at 4.7m... all wrong!

http://vgchartz.com/swlaunch.php?reg1=All&game1=Gears+of+War+-+X360®2=All&game2=Metal+Gear+Solid+4%3A+Guns+Of+The+Patriots+-+PS3®3=All&game3=&weeks=100

3 million sold to retailers, not to consumers

well lets compare apples and apples shall we.. 3 million to retailers is irrelevant until they are sold to customers. i think total sales of the two will be quite close... Gears 2 on the other hand will sell many more than both.

why would GoW2 sell better than GoW1?  Is is because it is more "emotionally effecting"?

no, because now it joined the hype train; choo-choo!

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive