By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - "Gears of War 2 More Emotionally Effecting Than BioShock"

fkusumot said:

Oscar worthy dialogue confirmed?

lol.

As in go buy us some coffee.

http://speedhunters.com

Around the Network
Gobias said:
fkusumot said:

lol.

I keep asking this question but no one seems to be answering it.  What makes dialogue corny?  People say MGS4 has corny dialouge but I am not seeing why though so if someone can explain how the MGS4 dialouge is corny, please do so

the game where the characters are crazy genetic mutants from the 1950

Eh yes they are crazy genetic mutants from the 1950. This alone is a vastly more original description than huge guys in big armor from the future trying to explode a big bomb to save the world. So I hope you answered your own question

Riachu said:
Gobias said:
fkusumot said:

lol.

I keep asking this question but no one seems to be answering it.  What makes dialogue corny?  People say MGS4 has corny dialouge but I am not seeing why though so if someone can explain how the MGS4 dialouge is corny, please do so

The only thing I can think of is perhaps that Snake sometimes tends to take statements from others and frame them in the form of a question.  TBH though, it didn't happen as much in this game.  Also, I think some people felt that sometimes things were explained too much, and didn't like that.  Personally, I thought it was pretty good.

Gears 2 is gonna blow people's nutsacks out of there eye sockets.

Around the Network

i really hope they dont butcher gears of war by trying to make it emotional. ive never heard of epic games making a passionate story for a game.

Kyros said:
lol, we are talking about Gears the game where all characters are "space" marines in huge army suits and have as much personality as a doorknob. Sorry.

Callous Kyros, you've offended the doorknob!

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

DogWeed said:
i really hope they dont butcher gears of war by trying to make it emotional. ive never heard of epic games making a passionate story for a game.

A game being emotional could make it better or worse.  A good example of a game benefitting from being emotional is Lost Oddyssey

Riachu said:
Gobias said:
fkusumot said:

lol.

I keep asking this question but no one seems to be answering it.  What makes dialogue corny?  People say MGS4 has corny dialouge but I am not seeing why though so if someone can explain how the MGS4 dialouge is corny, please do so.

Predictable, repetitive, poorly worded, longwinded... Just plain bad. Dunno quite how to describe it. Watch a few movies on the AFI 100 and read a few classic novels and good writing versus bad writing becomes very apparent.

Some pieces can pull off corny writing and it make it fun (the first two Star Wars movies, for example). But when the flow of the piece is fragmented by ill-timed and bad dialogue, corny turns shitty very quickly (think Independence Day or pretty much any Michael Bay movie).

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/