By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS3 VS. X360 multi-plat Graphics Comparison

NNN2004 said:
davygee said:
Here we go again.

All these games' lead platform is the 360 and it seems to be a case of build the game on the 360 and then try and port to the PS3. Not the sensible way to approach these games.

When more companies start with PS3 as the lead platform, we will see either identical or better games on the PS3.

PS3 is the lead platform for GTA IV.

Eh, not it wasn't...it was the 360.  Anyway, IMO, the PS3 version is nicer to me, although the PS3 version has a lower resolution.

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)

Around the Network
makingmusic476 said:
epinefridis said:
@makingmusic.
The problem with the 360 version is that is soooo brown. Yes, the PS3 version looks really brighter and easier to the eye. But, if you read the article carefully and watch the comparison video, PS3 version sacrificed antialiasing, lightning effects that are totally non existent, draw distance, textures (in areas where are buildings in particular, PS3 version looks like a XBOX game). Either way, the game SUCKS big time. But that doesn't change the fact, that 360 gives us superior looking AND performing games. A little awkward for a year older hardware hah?

Look at those screens and tell me which was has the longer draw distance?  That's why I posted the pics in the first place.

And the 360 version doesn't have better AA.  They just use that blurring trick that the ps3 version of GTAIV did.

AA over Blurr technique anyday. Ask any PC gamer.

Skeeuk said:
makingmusic476 said:

This article was getting ripped to shreds on NeoGAF.  Apparently Eurogamer was focusing on the positives of the 360 versions of the games, and downplaying the advantages of the ps3 versions.

Just look at this Quake Wars screen captured from their own comparison video:

Full pic here.

Full pic here.

Which version looks better to you?

People in the thread were also saying that the demo for Grid on the ps3 had some tearing issues as mentioned by Eurogamer, but that they were just about gone in the retail version.

Read the thread here.

Enemy Territory: Quake Wars is so awesome. The best online shooter ever created, hands down.

I prefer the PC-version, but tried the X360 demo and loved it (I experienced nuffin bad except for the horrible color scheme used, but the grafix don't matter much in this game because of the superb gameplay). It's so sad that it got bad reviews (on the PC too, it ).

It's ranked at 84% for PC and just 70% on consoles on Gamerankings, but it deserves 94% on PC and I'd say rufly 88% on consoles.

ET:QW is my best personal example where reviews aren't always right.

@ Selnor

AA over Blurr technique anyday. Ask any PC gamer.

That's not always the case, you are probably referring to various FSAA techniques. Blur can be used as a method for achieving AA, for example also in top quality animation movies edge blurring is often applied with sublime end results.

For games it's usually the edges which cause aliasing problems, as the texture colors are handpicked to match the color of neighboring pixels.

I agree full screen blurring is usually a bad approach for games (maybe nice for drunk driving in GTA IV ).

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

MikeB said:
eliasg said:
BrayanA said:
Another win for 360? Nothing new.

many people in the forum still believe to the SONY hype, they are just blind and cant see the truth...

Calling others who don't share your uninformed perspectives to be blind?

And the truth is? Answer me some questions.

- Which system has by far the most processing power?

Impossible to say. Why? Because Sony's performance figures show non game processing speed and Microsofts show game running speeds. The Terra figures Sony shows are not game thearetical performance. M$'s are.

- Which system can perform more shader ops per second?

Ps3. Not by much. But I'll then ask you which system is capable of running more complex shaders?

- Which system can hold far more data on disc?

PS3 I'll ask you has it made any difference to my gaming?

- Which system has a default harddrive for every potential game to take advantage of for streaming combined with easily predictable streaming speeds which can be much better optimised for?

PS3. I ask you which system does not force you to install, provides a better online shopping experience and better online experience?

Technically it's easy to see the PS3 is the well more powerful console, to understand some problems developers are facing you will have to dig deeper for the roots.

I ask you which system has a graphics card which is future proofed for tommorows DX10 effects and which system doesnt. Also which system has a significantly higher specced GPU. (love the way you left that out.)

Around the Network

@ selnor

- Which system has by far the most processing power?

Impossible to say. Why? Because Sony's performance figures show non game processing speed and Microsofts show game running speeds. The Terra figures Sony shows are not game thearetical performance. M$'s are.

MS has revealed no realworld tests, we have only data like Kameo using up ~85% of available CPU cycles from three core (Source Microsoft).

IBM is a good source, the Xenon can in theory do ~77 GFlops but that's not taking into account the bottlenecks as the way the chip has been implemented into the 360. The PS3's Cell can do ~218 GFlops and research has indicated the Cell can operate at near full efficiency.

- Which system can perform more shader ops per second?

Ps3. Not by much. But I'll then ask you which system is capable of running more complex shaders?

What do you call more complex shaders? The Xenos shaders are more flexible in the sense a shader can either do "this" or "that". It does not mean it can do this or that simultaneously. RSX shaders seperately can only do "this" and others can only do "that". But the RSX can do 136 this/thats, while the Xenos can do 96 this/thats per cycle.

- Which system can hold far more data on disc?

PS3 I'll ask you has it made any difference to my gaming?

Depends if you bought MGS4, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune or Ratchet & Clank: Tools of destruction for the PS3. Keep an eye out for Killzone 2, Resistance 2 and Final Fantasy XIII.

- Which system has a default harddrive for every potential game to take advantage of for streaming combined with easily predictable streaming speeds which can be much better optimised for?

PS3. I ask you which system does not force you to install, provides a better online shopping experience and better online experience?

That the devs will have to decide for themselves on a game by game basis. Uncharted: Drakes Fortune takes advantage of the harddrive without installation and without in-game loading.

Ratchet & Clank only installs a few hundred megabytes onto the harddive, the bulk of data is being streamed taking well advantage of the harddrive.

I ask you which system has a graphics card which is future proofed for tommorows DX10 effects and which system doesnt. Also which system has a significantly higher specced GPU. (love the way you left that out.)

DX10 is irrelevant, Playstation consoles never supported DirectX, it's a Microsoft technology. The RSX shaders can do everything a Xenos can do.

Let's imagine you have GPU A which has 10 flexible shaders, which can either do A or B. Then you have a GPU B has 100 shaders which can only do A and 100 shaders which can only do B. Which GPU is better specced?

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

MikeB said:

The RSX shaders can do everything a Xenos can do.

Let's imagine you have GPU A which has 10 flexible shaders, which can either do A or B. Then you have a GPU B has 100 shaders which can only do A and 100 shaders which can only do B. Which GPU is better specced?

Care to do the same comparison with the real numbers, instead of hypothetical ones?

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Jessman said:
Isn't it because alot of Multi Platform games are developed for the 360 then they get ported the the PS3?

No, it's because it's Eurogamer, and if they compared MGS4 to anything exclusive on the 360, the 360 game would win. Go back and read there GTA4 review. It's about the most biased article I have read.

NJ5 said:
MikeB said:

Care to do the same comparison with the real numbers, instead of hypothetical ones?

The 360 GPU is faster then the PS3 GPU, but the PS3 can supplement the GPU with its CPU far better then the 360 can. In the end, this means the PS3 can produce better graphics. You want real world examples?

The best looking console games every created, are:

• Uncharted
  • MGS4
  • GT5:p

People keeps saying the 360 games can look as good as PS3 games, yet none ever have looked as good as the best looking PS3 games. Why would that be, do you think?

Comparing only GPU's is like saying my car can go faster then your car, because I have higher rated tires.

Uncharted has good graphics but it runs at 30 fps... Look at Ninja Gaiden 2 which runs at 60 fps and its graphics are almost up to par with Uncharted's.

I'm pretty sure Uncharted would run on the 360, but of course it will never get ported so this will remain an open question.

MGS4 doesn't have better graphics than 360 games like Gears of War.

I don't know about GT5:p, since I never played any racer on the 360.

From the games released so far, I believe the 360 and PS3 are about equal in performance (each has specific advantages, but generally speaking are about equal).

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957