By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo is in an awkward situation... What will they do with Zelda?

I think the idea of Zelda being an established formula that always goes to the well is a little overstated. Twilight Princess is the only one that ever felt derivative to me. Majora's Mask and Windwaker are both very dfferent games from Ocarina with very different styles and mechanics. They all have udgbeons that you collect items to defeat, but that just means they're Zelda games. Beyond that, they're pretty individual. Except for Twilight Princess, which is both too much like Ocarina and too easy (though it does perfect a lot of Ocarina's concepts).

Really, only three Zelda games game been modelled as: collect 3 gems, get master sword, beat temples, fight Ganon--Link to the Past, Ocarina, Twilight Princess. And obviously there's a massive difference between Link to the Past and the other two.

My consoles and the fates they suffered:

Atari 7800 (Sold), Intellivision (Thrown out), Gameboy (Lost), Super Nintendo (Stolen), Super Nintendo (2nd copy) (Thrown out by mother), Nintendo 64 (Still own), Super Nintendo (3rd copy) (Still own), Wii (Sold)

A more detailed history appears on my profile.

Around the Network

Until people stop buying the Zelda games in the numbers they do, there's no reason for Nintendo to change the formula. It's not a disappointment that I know much of what I'm gonna get with a Zelda game. That "knowing" is exactly the reason I buy them in the first place. An average Miyamoto game is still better than 99% of the rest of the industry's games.

Having said that, if they were to change it, I think I'd like to see a shift towards perhaps a futuristic setting rather than the medievel-ish setting. It worked for Final Fantasy.

Keep this in mind when reading what I type...

I've been gaming longer than many of you have been alive.

What they CANNOT change is the classic Green Tunic, The Master Sword, and the silenced protagnist named Link.
Other than that they can change whatever the hell they want to the series its gonna be amazing just like every console version has been even if you might not agree with the path its taked. (WW)

Valkyria00 said:
What they CANNOT change is the classic Green Tunic, The Master Sword, and the silenced protagnist named Link.
Other than that they can change whatever the hell they want to the series its gonna be amazing just like every console version has been even if you might not agree with the path its taked. (WW)

You know that the Master Sword is in less than half the Zelda games. Is it really so important?

Personally I'd love to see Nintendo do a futuristic Zelda, or go off in a crazy direction like MM. MM is definitely one of my favorite games of all time.

I would love for the new Zelda to be absoulty original, like Majora's Mask.

Around the Network

Let all the people that don't want Nintendo to do something innovative with Zelda whine all they like. It's simply their loss.

PSN- williwod

Remember, there are no stupid questions. Just stupid people- Mr Garrison

I've said this many times. I want a hyrule that is just getting into advanced technology like in the late 1800s early 1900s. Just no guns as weapons. Keep the bow and arrow.

Its ridiculous. I mean Mario in space, who complained about that. Nobody so quite your yapping and just let them do what they want. You know its gonna rock the tits of everything else done before it.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Steampunk, which from my perspective they have already alluded to in previous games, will be super cool. I think STEAMBOY with Link is not out of place. Still got traditional settings but technological ability to go nuts if need be.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

wfz said:
Valkyria00 said:

You know that the Master Sword is in less than half the Zelda games. Is it really so important?

Personally I'd love to see Nintendo do a futuristic Zelda, or go off in a crazy direction like MM. MM is definitely one of my favorite games of all time.

Ah. I guess youre right about master sword. Still no futuristic Zelda. Its based around old folklore Midevil whatever the hell you wanna call it times. Thats whats cool about. I dont want lightsaber swords!

Yes MM was awesome. It wasnt in the future. What they need to do is change story and new items NOT time. Keep the same old timeline its works.