By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Which is better? Component, VGA, or HDMI for the 360

oh you meant all the different audio format well same reason because they are not proprietary of the same companies and to make more cash for no reasons lol...

Around the Network

If you watch copyrighted content, you'll need HDMI rather than component. At least, that's the case with the PS3. On component, I can watch copied movies on DVD-Rs but not retail DVDs. Not a problem with HDMI. Now that I think about it, that could be for only upscaled retail DVDs. It's been awhile since I used component...either way, HDMI cables are the best and cost about $3 on amazon.

For a 360 you shouldn't notice any difference between the 3. I've used them all on my 1080p set and couldn't tell anything apart. All signals will output up to 1080p on the 360. I like HDMI mainly for the convenience of having fewer cables behind the TV. Much cleaner setup especially for mounted displays.

When I had a TV technician come out to look at my first Samsung display with it's faulty HDMI port we were talking and he said they get tons of calls due to displays and devices running HDMI because of handshake issues and other finiky problems. Their installers he told me try to use component hookups whenever it will offer comparable performance to the digital signals just because of fewer headaches with customers (and especially the less tech-inclined ones)

Completed X360:
High Def Movie Collection

ive read before that there is not that big difference but id prefere HDMI.

Interlaced footage is ugly. 720p > 1080i

Around the Network
DMeisterJ said:
HDMI is generally the best. But since you don't have a 1080p TV, components will be just as fine as HDMI, as HDMI only truly shines in the fact that it's the only cable that can support 1080p.

Component, vga or dvi support 1080p also...

How do you think computers monitors have been able to work in high defintion all these years without hdmi ?

It always amazes me to see how the sony's marketing machine is powerful.  Kudos to them for that.

Zones : I still don't understand all the love for Blizzard, what was the last game they developed worth playing?
mrpapaye said:
DMeisterJ said:
HDMI is generally the best. But since you don't have a 1080p TV, components will be just as fine as HDMI, as HDMI only truly shines in the fact that it's the only cable that can support 1080p.

Component, vga or dvi support 1080p also...

How do you think computers monitors have been able to work in high defintion all these years without hdmi ?

It always amazes me to see how the sony's marketing machine is powerful. Kudos to them for that.

To be fair, component doesn't always support 1080p, but it's not due to technical reasons. It's due to legal reasons with DRM, since component cables don't support DRM (HDCP).

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

As long as you are following the law, there should not be a problem. If someone was stealing my property on the scales that it is happening now, I would want to take some sort of action too. Maybe people should stop stealing shit and you would not have a problem. Until I have a problem with HDMI, it is the best(I know because my 360 came with component to begin with).

epsilon72 said:
senatorpjt said:

DVI "is" HDMI. I have a cable with a DVI connector on one end and a HDMI on the other end to connect my laptop to my TV. The only issues are that DVI doesn't carry sound, and doesn't (usually) support HDCP without which your device might refuse to put video out.

(edit) Just looked back and saw you only have a DVI input. You likely won't be able to display anything on your TV from a device with an HDMI output because it won't support HDCP. Sorry.

That's not true for all devices though.  I know it is a problem with the PS3, but I don't know anything about the 360's HDMI out.  DVI will support HDCP every time HDMI does, assuming your DVI display supports HDCP.

That's why I said "likely." Maybe I should have said "possibly" since I don't know anything about the 360 either - but if he has a TV that only has DVI inputs it's more probable that it doesn't support HDCP either. I'm just going on what I know from the PS3 that you're better off using component than HDMI if your set doesn't support it. I suppose you could chalk this one up as a point for the 360 if its not the case...

just stick with component cables, in your position, HDMI to DVI isn't a great idea as it creates the probem of getting sound from your console to the TV and the image quality, especially on a projection TV is going to be negligable.