By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Which is better? Component, VGA, or HDMI for the 360

Component can only be as good or less. HDMI is a pure representation of the digital signal. There is no possible loss of quality, but component can be degraded by intereference. So far I have run into no problems with content protection. The cheapest HDMI cables are as good as the most expensive, the same cannot be said of component. The lining of component makes a huge difference because of said interference.

Around the Network

oh don't get me wrong... I like what the HDMI has to offer.... I have seen HDMI doing worst than component on perfectly calibrated monitors.... but you are right most of the time it's not likely to be the case except if the monitor is of bad quality on that part.... I ran into problems with HDCP... and even if I didn't I wouldn't support it... I can't stand when they push on me protection format.... especially since you pay for it a way or another...

I don't believe you.

I actually have the same TV. Well, I have the 65", but same model (KP-65WS510 here). I recommend just using component cables and setting the XBox360 output to 1080i. As Deviation59 said, it's not a "true" HD TV. It only displays 540 lines of vertical resolution and 720p source material frankly looks like crap on it. Stick with 1080i.

bobobologna said:

I actually have the same TV. Well, I have the 65", but same model (KP-65WS510 here). I recommend just using component cables and setting the XBox360 output to 1080i. As Deviation59 said, it's not a "true" HD TV. It only displays 540 lines of vertical resolution and 720p source material frankly looks like crap on it. Stick with 1080i.

Yeah, I cycled through all the resolutions available for this TV (480p, 720p, & 1080i) and 1080i looks the best.

Around the Network

don't believe what ?? that I had problem with HDCP... probably because you don't use your PC as Home Theater player.... and if you do you are lucky enough to have one recent that has a HDCP certified graphic card...

To be honest the difference between HDMI and Componenet in picture is so minimal. Look at the length of the cable from the 360 to the TV. You are hardly gonna pick up any noise whatsoever in that short space that the analog signal will travel. And as said before component cable WILL carry 1080p as long as you have a 1080p tv.

http://www.behardware.com/articles/603-1/hdcp-the-graphic-card-and-monitor-nightmare.html

and there is a simple reason why nobody should support it.... the question is not even is there a probable issue with it or not... but why should I finance that with my own money support something more inconvenient than useful... protecting an industry I despise in the first place... because most of the time what they call protecting artistic content shouldn't even have the right to be called art... but money making BS...

now that's another story but that's the reason I don't use HDMI and won't use it... it might be useless... but even one voice is better than none... if you like to follow what they want you to follow it's your problem... don't ask me to do the same :)

LOL. I have a 42" lcd and hdmi is a very noticable improvement over component. As for content protection, I could care less. I have a very nice home theatre setup(7.1 ss), with over 300 dvds. What I do not like is all the variations in audio encoding. Why have all of these different industry standards? To take up more room on a friggen disc?

well don't worry I do have a nice set up now lol 7.2 capable just in 5.1 though.. don't really need the 7.2 yet... my harman kardon avr 745 is doing a good job and my Klipsch speakers and velodyne sub is too... as well as my 40 inch LCD... I don't have many physical DVDs though lol but a little bit more than a Terra O HDD capacity total lol I swear it's only copyright free content lol

but I didn't before this year.... the thing is it's not because its not an issue anymore that people should keep their mouth shut... everybody is bitching about DRM on music.. why should it be any different with HDCP.... why they do that ?? well because they are competitors, because every security ends up being broken and because they have to enter more and more cash all the time for no reason....