By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - What should I spend my money on?

ioi said:
VG Chartz store

But then I have to pay crazy-arsed UK prices.

I'd also just like to say that I'll be getting quite a bit when I get back from Florida, as I'll be getting my GCSE results in. And it's my birthday like two weeks after.

Around the Network
SamuelRSmith said:
ioi said:
VG Chartz store

But then I have to pay crazy-arsed UK prices.

I'd also just like to say that I'll be getting quite a bit when I get back from Florida, as I'll be getting my GCSE results in. And it's my birthday like two weeks after.

yeah, I was going to say that too.... too bad 'cause that kind of dough would have brought a hefty amount to the site.

OT: You could buy a new laptop if you want. You can get a very nice Dell or HP at Walmart for only $900. Then you could finish it off with 5-6 games.

Not trying to be a fanboy. Of course, it's hard when you own the best console eve... dang it

SamuelRSmith said:

I could do that, but I could always run the risk of them not selling, and I don't like risks, they don't call me safety Sam for nothing, you know. In fact, they don't call me safety Sam at all.

I don't like the idea much either, just thougt you might be the kind of person who'd be happy with it.

In that case... take a long hard think about things which you will want to buy in the near/medium term, and go for those as long as they're easy to transport.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Right, to stop myself from feeling bad, I am officially going to buy a further two PSP games from the VGC store when I get back from Florida (probably Patapon and Killzone Liberation).

@Retrasado - I was thinking about a laptop, as I'm going to college in September, but I don't know, they always seem like such a ripoff to me, and I'm a fan of tinkering, and that's much harder to do on a laptop (not to mention my own personal boycott of Dell, and most other mainstream PC manufacturers).

@NJ5 - That's my problem, lol, I can't actually think of what I want, I'm pretty much content with everything I've got at the moment, I suppose I could save a bit of scratch for future game releases, and stick 200/300 into a savings account.

If you're going to college, IMO it's a great time to get a laptop... It'll probably come in handy to work on assignments when you have no other computer at hand, plus it can serve as entertainment (movies or low-spec games).

Around the Network

I must admit, I am starting to warm to this laptop idea.

Are there any good PC stores in the states that aren't Wal*Mart, or PC World. PC World employees know as much about a computer as my left thumb, and Wal*Mart would probably be even worse.

Just one thing about the laptop idea - is the UK keyboard the same as the US keyboard? I ask because one thing which is pretty annoying to me when using foreign laptops is the keyboard.

NJ5 said:
Just one thing about the laptop idea - is the UK keyboard the same as the US keyboard? I ask because one thing which is pretty annoying to me when using foreign laptops is the keyboard.

I think they're 99% similar, I think they lack the £, @ and " are swapped around, and # is in place of £, I believe.

Shouldn't cause too much trouble, Mac users have to put up with it anyways.

What's more, I can just change the keyboard layout in Windows settings, and just get some new stickers for the keyboard.

You realize that all the consoles are region locked right? The handheld games are not. Maybe buy some handheld games that arnt out in Europe yet. You can probally buy rechargable batteries for your 360 if you want. If you like Rock band or Guitar hero i recomend buying the equipement in the US it is cheaper and should be compatible.

"Like you know"

SamuelRSmith said:
NJ5 said:

I think they're 99% similar, I think they lack the £, @ and " are swapped around, and # is in place of £, I believe.

Shouldn't cause too much trouble, Mac users have to put up with it anyways.

What's more, I can just change the keyboard layout in Windows settings, and just get some new stickers for the keyboard.

Then the laptop sounds like a great idea, if you can anticipate using it.

The only thing which you should take care with when buying electronics in USA is the power brick supported voltages/frequencies. However, I think most (or all?) laptop power bricks support 100-240 V and 50-60 Hz, so that shouldn't be a problem. You can always ask the store clerk to show you the label on the power brick, which should state it quite clearly.