By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Valve Hacker managed to burn 13 million Euros caught by police

FTA: Steam itself was not accessed, but rather a Valve file server. Furthermore, the site explains that only the credit cards of Cyber Cafe subscribers were compromised. "The numbers in danger are all held by cybercafe owners, who have recurring subscriptions to their Steam games and have probably all long been informed," the posting reads. "Consumer data are only stored in enough detail to fight mass fraud, not make purchases, and weren't compromised anyway."

Update 2: "There has been no security breach of Steam," Valve director of marketing Doug Lombardi told 1UP. "The alleged hacker gained access to a third-party site that Valve uses to manage the commercial partners in its Cyber Cafe program. This Cyber Cafe billing system is not connected to Steam. We are working with law enforcement agencies on this matter, and encourage anyone with more information to e-mail us at Catch_A_Thief@valvesoftware.com."

No Steam owners ever were in danger, in case you're worried or something, your credit information has never been hacked.  If you were one of the people subscribed to their Cyber Cafe you would have been emailed and called about this early last year...I remember this news over a year ago, there's really nothing to worry about for Steam owners.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Around the Network
|_emmiwinks said:
weezy said:
Hackers are byfar the biggest dweebs in the world. Seriously, they are those kids in your highschool that are unathletic, never get exercise and sit infront of they computers all day.
Oh I forgot to mention they are totally unsocial.. they want to shoot people up because they hate the popular dudes who get all the girls. :)

Im willing to bet 999,999/1,000,000 are virgins.

weezy gives 2 lowly thumbs down to hackers.

This one also got more money then you will ever have in your life. And once he is out of prison, he will be able to do it again, and not be as stupid and get caught.

It would have just been better to say Hackers are tools of the highest caliber.

Don't they give hackers probation against using computers or the internet or something?

This guy's pretty dumb.  I mean, who blows that kind of money?  You think after blowing 12 million Euros, he'd realize he sucks shit and just keep the last million and run and buy a house on an island and drink a Mai Tai as big as his house?

Some people would say that gaming can become a money-wasting addiction. But i seriously doubt any gamer has ever spent that much money on games.

PSN- williwod

Remember, there are no stupid questions. Just stupid people- Mr Garrison

I guess I'm bumping this in case people misunderstood what happened.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )