By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Screen Digest: 112 million Nintendo DS Units and 67 million PSPs to be sold

it's a really good number for the PSP, for the DS it's expected now. 112 million is low?

You guys are getting way too greedy lol

I think the PSP defenitely has longevity.

So what's going to happen the next gen of hand held? I mean Sony is probably going to make a more powerful more compact PSP 2 what will Nintendo make? Another DS that's more powerful? I think so, next hand held generation will just be more powerful versions of these two consoles and the PSP will do good again.

The days of Nintendo being the only big hand held console maker are over. While the Wii is eating up the PS' market share in consoles, the PSP is doing the same with the Hand helds even if it does end up being in 2nd place.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Around the Network
ckmlb said:

it's a really good number for the PSP, for the DS it's expected now. 112 million is low?

So what's going to happen the next gen of hand held? I mean Sony is probably going to make a more powerful more compact PSP 2 what will Nintendo make? Another DS that's more powerful? I think so, next hand held generation will just be more powerful versions of these two consoles and the PSP will do good again.

The days of Nintendo being the only big hand held console maker are over. While the Wii is eating up the PS' market share in consoles, the PSP is doing the same with the Hand helds even if it does end up being in 2nd place.

No, it's not eating up anything in the market.  Rather than the market losing money, the handheld market was expanded by a HUGE amount.  You can't really say the PSP is eating away at the DS, when there is a valid argument that the PSP actually increased the DS sales, just as there is a valid argument that the PS3 is increasing Wii sales.  Yeah, it took marketshare, but profit and console base for Nintendo has never been higher.  From a business standpoint, they should be thanking the PSP.

ckmlb said:

Well, PS2 is on pace for 130+ million, and at the moment, DS is selling faster than PS2 ever did.

Sony wants to own the market. The strategy behind PSP failed to do this. Therefore, Sony cannot repeat this strategy. Meanwhile, the DS touchscreen was the RESULT of the strategy behind it, and merely making a more powerful DS would be an abandonment of the DS strategy.

Are you really comparing the PSP to the Wii? Jeez. I'd say Wii has been a little more successful at "eating up marketshare" than has PSP. "Taking marketshare" doesn't matter if your competitor is still selling better than you and better than it ever has in the past.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

In all honesty, I feel that the DS will easily reach 112 million, although I have my doubts that the PSP will achieve 67 million in the same timeframe.

But you never know what will happen.  The PSP has just recently had it first decent price reduction in both the US and in the UK, although it is still more than the DS.  I can see no reason why the price cannot come down to around half the current price over the next 3-4 years as well.  The games need to continue to be released and the quality and uniqueness of the games need to be upped as well.  Hopefully Sony will dedicate more time to the PSP, especially once all the development for the PS2 stops.

Longevity wise, I can so no reason, unless the games dry up, that the PSP cannot have a 7,8,9 or even 10 year lifespan with new games coming out.  The postive thing about the PSP, is it's ability to develop addons and new firmwares that expand with time and allow for more functionality.  Also, the actual power of the system is enough to hold off a new Nintendo handheld for a while seeing as it is vastly more powerful than the DS.  Although as you know, power isn't everything.

What these figures demonstrate is the acknowledgement that handheld gaming is bringing new gamers in all the time.  And I reckon it will continue to grow at a faster rate than the home console market.  That is until the cost comes down. 

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)

Erik Aston said:
ckmlb said:

Well, PS2 is on pace for 130+ million, and at the moment, DS is selling faster than PS2 ever did.

Sony wants to own the market. The strategy behind PSP failed to do this. Therefore, Sony cannot repeat this strategy. Meanwhile, the DS touchscreen was the RESULT of the strategy behind it, and merely making a more powerful DS would be an abandonment of the DS strategy.

Are you really comparing the PSP to the Wii? Jeez. I'd say Wii has been a little more successful at "eating up marketshare" than has PSP. "Taking marketshare" doesn't matter if your competitor is still selling better than you and better than it ever has in the past.

I suppose so, but in "Others" the PSP has been selling right around where the Wii sells.  Interesting numbers.  Check em out. 

Around the Network

analyst job must be the easiest ever. tripple the current amount sold and you got statistics. woot.

The PSP is a MASSIVE failure in that it cost Sony it's aura of invinsibilty with game publishers. Most third parties no longer equate the "PlayStation" brand with guarenteed success. This is going to help increase the rate of defection in Japan especially if PS3 sales don't pick up soon.

A much larger % of PSP sales came out of their own console fanbase rather Nintendo's handheld market. So when you factor in that + opportunity cost (the money Sony could of made if it focused it's resources on home consoles instead) it's obvious the PSP was a mistake from any business point of view.

And it's attach rate suck. At least the GC is managed to get into the top 5 once in a while.