By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Screen Digest: 112 million Nintendo DS Units and 67 million PSPs to be sold

kber81 said:
JSF said:
Some interesting stats.

DS owners (EUR) - 54% female and 46% male
PSP owners (EUR) - 40% female and 60% male

DS owners (EUR) - 52% under the age of 15 and 48% 15 or older
PSP owners (EUR) - 28% under the age of 15 and 72% 15 or older

Ha!  

Ha what?

46% male DS owners > 60% male PSP owners
48% 15 or older DS owners > 72% 15 or older PSP owners

Also, DS is clearly a more balanced machine.

Wii Code 8761-5941-4718-0078 

Around the Network

I dunno why kber81 is excited at the higher percentage of older men owning a PSP.

What's that about? Is there something a little deeper he's not telling us?

kber81 said:
JSF said:
Some interesting stats.

Ha!  

Ha yourself, there are  twice as many DS owners, and 52 to 48 is a pretty even split and DS appeals more to girls, 

don't know about you but I like girls

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Deguello said:
I dunno why kber81 is excited at the higher percentage of older men owning a PSP.

What's that about? Is there something a little deeper he's not telling us?

Either he's gay or a mysoginist,  lol  (just kidding)

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

kber81 said:
JSF said:
Some interesting stats.

Ha!  

46% male out of 13.96 million equals 6.42 million compared to 60% of 7.80 million equal to 4.68? 48% over 15 of 13.96 million equals 6.70 million 72% of 7.80 million equals 5.62 million? You sell to numbers not percentages.

Around the Network
JSF said:
Some interesting stats.

not really.

From begining PSP was marketed to an older crowd. 

Well JDWolf36 said what I was going to say. There is no way the PSP is reaching 67 million. We'll get a better idea after this Christmas of where it will end up. If PSP sales decline again it won't break 45 million (if it even breaks 40 million). We'll also see if the DS can take off in the US like it has in Japan. It looked like it may have last Christmas but Nintendo clearly underestimated US sales.

It' been argued before but Deguello's first couple paragraphs cover why the PSP isn't lauded as some huge success. Had Sony been more humble and said their plan was to give young male gamers a super handheld that will do well to just break 20 million then it would have been different. However, Sony was anything but humble and as a handheld that was supposed to monkeystomp the DS the way the PS1&2 did the N64/GCN the PSP is certainly not a success.

The PSP's sales also aren't anything surprising. The Game Gear sold almost 11 million or 1.8 million a year while it was on the market. The Gameboy sold about 7 million a year during its 10 year run. So the GG had about 20% while it was around. It would actually be higher if you compared the first 3 or so years when the GG actually sold since the Gameboy's sales were fairly even across time while the Game Gear died out after a couple of years. Don't forget that the DS isn't the only competition, the GBA is still selling. Check out the sales graph of DS/GBA/PSP, the DS/GBA has sold over 60 million since late 2005 while the PSP has sold just over 20 million. In other words in the first few years the PSP is doing about as well as the Game Gear. It remains to be seen if the PSP will do better after 3 years than the GG.

@kber
So what's wrong with Nintendo bringing gaming out of the ghetto in which Sony wishes to confine it?

kber81 said:
JSF said:
Some interesting stats.

Ha!

kber just pointed out that the DS is targeted at younger people who happen to be girls, he didn´t say this is a bad thing, he´s just pointing out that he is not a girl under 15 so he is not in the biggest group of DS owners, so it´s not for him which is fine, he didn´t say all DS owners are little girls , he only sayed "Ha!" if this is enough to set of your flame-detector you might be wrapped to tight, or I just didn´t get the fine nuances of his flame, the smiley face with its tounge out is there to show all us little DS girls whats what.

EDIT: I´m wrapped a bit tight myself today, bad weather here and I´m out of beer, don´t feel like getting any  in the rain, let´s hope there still is some hard stuff, what console is targeted at alcoholics ????  Nevermind 

Good points people. Especially Deguello, great read.

PSP sold about 7-7.5 million last year (3 million US via NPD, 1.8 million Japan via MC, + estimated 2.5-3 mil for Europe and others). It's selling about the same this year so far in Japan+US, but that's only with it's biggest game ever in Japan, and it's first ever price drop in the US. It's falling fast in Europe based on the software charts, soI doubt it's ahead year on year worldwide.

It's currently at 21 million for 2.5 years on the market. It sold only 7-7.5 million last year, after selling 13.5 million in it's first year. Even if it stabilises this year and sells almost the same as last year, that only brings it to about 24-25 million at the end of 2007, and it's all downhill from there.

PSP would be lucky to beat the N64 or Genesis at this point IMO. I think it will just crack 30 million and then die.

EDIT: Also, the methodology in the article is wrong. Even based on their own assumptions (PSP and DS keep selling at the same rate), that puts the DS at 160 million and the PSP at 53 million, as the DS sold 26 million last year and the PSP sold 7 million. I don't know where the hell they pulled their PSP figure from, probabaly the year 2004.

Of course, this is highly flawed as well, as loser consoles tend to die quicker.

I think you guys are wrong. I own a PSP now when I never thought I'd buy one before. The price cut and the upcoming God of War game made the difference for me, and, now that I'm actually using one, I find out that it is great. The UMD drive could be a lot faster for some games, but it sounds like that might be addressed with the redesign. There are PS2 ports - though the Grand Theft Autos were actually ported to the PS2 and not the other way around - (just as there are ports on the DS, btw: Mario64, Final Fantasy III, etc.), but, in the coming months, there is no longer a PS2 to port from. There are a lot of original games now, and they are only going to grow in number. Right now, I am playing Dungeon Siege, and I am hooked on it as much as I was hooked on Castlevania on the DS. I don't think the PSP will catch the DS because the DS has a wider demographic, as the stats show (I am a bit surprised by the number of females who own PSP's though...higher than I expected), but it is still a great little machine. No one said you could only buy one portable.