By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - "Wii is as powerful as original Xbox," says FIFA dev

this thread is as good as locked, and the only fact we have is that a dev said that it´s as powerfull as a Xbox, thats not a very reliable fact to build a thesis on, just because hes a bev doesn´t make him all knowing, if it was that easy you could put system specs next to each other and say 2>1 or 2=2 but this will get us nowhere fast, unlike the car comparison, that really nailed the point (I think, I have no clue about cars)

So here it is Blus, the Wii is old and expencive, we will never see the marvel that is FFXIII; (how sad, I love those innovativ games where I get to chose attack defend or use magic over and over and over again, but it looks sweet so it must be great) if only Mario and Zelda games had more polythings and shaderstuff, than they would be fun and the Wii would finally sell, were all Doomed, but seriously no one cares, no one opens his console lookes at the hardware and says "now this is what I wanted" we are gamers you can make great games on any platform and if different platforms get different games there is more for all of us.

Around the Network
Blue3 said:
Price does not equal perceived value. So a mediocre ford out selling a Lexus that costs 3 times as much means that ?

Okay I am tired of saying this so I will spell out for Blue and all others. Using a car argument makes you look like a buffoon. Why? In the auto industry a high end product has much higher profit margin, so you can sell less units and make more money. Ford probably makes 3k to 4k off the 2008 Taurus. Toyota on the other hand is probably banking 12k to 15k on a Lexus ES350. Comparing high and low end cars, to high and low end electronics is a ridiculous argument. So if you do not want to look foolish stop using this as a defense for the Wii vs PS3 debate. The Wii has the higher profit margin on per unit sold basis. The PS3 has a net loss that is more than cost to manufacture the Wii.

Now on to your topic. I can't think of anyone that is saying the Wii competes with the 360 or PS3 when it comes to hardware power. As for the X-box versus Gamecube/Wii debate, this has been rehashed several times on this forum. So I will make this quick. The GC had a more powerful CPU than the X-box. The X-box had more RAM. The GC had faster RAM. The X-box had a more powerful GPU than the GC. The GC had superior texturing and lighting capabilities. The X-box had superior sound and the ability to render in 720p. The Wii is essentially a Gamecube running at 1.5 times the clock rate with more/faster RAM than the X-box. You figure out the rest. Posting flame bait will not make the PS3 sell better Blue, but it will continue to make you look foolish.

Blue3 said:
omgwtfbbq said:

you have no idea do you?

I remember the last thread this tired argument you keep pulling up comes in. I believe it was the Soul Calibur 4 thread? And what's to stopSoul Calibur 4 from going to the Wii except the graphics? NOTHING. Or, Final Fantasy XIII? Nothing! The processing power in these games go to the graphics alone. They could easily be ported to Wii. I give games such as Lair, Dead Rising, etc are a different story, but you don't have any idea what you're talking about.

Secondly, notice you even said "there's no reason it can't work on the wii other than graphics". Look at that, it is a clear admission that the Wii is actually LESS POWERFUL than the 360/PS3. Yes, that's correct, you're ridiculous theory that people think the Wii can compete is thrown overboard with your own evidence. No one thinks that the Wii is not weak compared to the 360/PS3.

And finally, you keep bringing out this "old technology" garbage. I'm going to spell it out for you. Low power != old technology. After all, my PC (one and a half years old) that I am typing this on is much more powerful than an iPhone. Does that make the iPhone old technology? NO. Technology goes towards much more than increasing processing power.

Go take a course in Computer Science before you come in here and talk nonsense.

You think wii can run the character animation in FF13, do it in real time you really think that or it can do the same grand scale of the world as the PS3. Whats this about nonsensn.

character animation? No. I already said they would tone down graphics. Graphics includes things like hair moving, etc etc. But, of course, you'd be surprised what the Wii could do in this case, set camera angles, set animations, etc. Look at what the PS2 managed with the previous FF games. Reason why they looked so good? Because you never actually control the characters, you just tell them what to do and they play out an animation. The Wii is much more powerful than the PS2 was. Of course, it would have to be toned down from the PS3, but I already said graphics would be toned down.

Scale of the world? What scale? As far as I am aware, not much in terms of the actual world has been shown. Even so, the world isn't incredibly detailed. There aren't huge numbers of objects that require calculations, there's just a big world that is always the same. Once again, the PS2 managed huge worlds, and the Wii could do better. Large scales only really get tough when there are heaps of objects. Besides, I don't know what Final Fantasy games you have been playing, but since when have the draw distances been huge? This isn't a game where you're flying through the air and need to see far (Lair), or where you zoom out and look at the entire world (Supreme Commander). Generally the game is played with a close in camera. Huge world means nothing if you don't see it. 

It's clear you just picked a couple of buzzwords and pretended they meant something. I am calling it nonsense, because it is, plain and simple. Final Fantasy XII (from what we've seen of it, at least) could have no difficulties being ported to Wii.

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

Ah... Poor blue3... He hasn't got any answers to what im saying!

THE NETHERLANDS

The Wii coulndt handle not only the graphics but also the phisics ,interaction ,amount of action on screen at once ,animation ,IA or anything from a X360 or PS3 game that pushed a bit the envelope .I remember one year ago when some people said the Wii would look in a SD just as good as a PS3 or X360 .This has been proven wrong .And no ,the Wii cant recreate real next gen games without massive cuts .Thats pretty clear .

In topic I would say this isnt a surprise anymore ,most developers have stated similar things .