By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - "Wii is as powerful as original Xbox," says FIFA dev

your mother said:
Blue3 said:
Yojimbo said:
Nobody cares anymore about how weak the Wii is. There is a reason why its cost less then the others.

yet many on here deny its weak hardware.

...such as?

benkanobi, squirll dude.   PS3/360 game "ohh it can be ported" "theres no reason it cant be ported to the wii" "thersno reson it cant work on the wii other then graohics"

WELL there is, wii is old gen technology.  It can't run what PS3/360 can, not just graphics but everything else.

Around the Network
Blue3 said:
your mother said:
Blue3 said:
Yojimbo said:
Nobody cares anymore about how weak the Wii is. There is a reason why its cost less then the others.

...such as?

benkanobi, squirll dude. PS3/360 game "ohh it can be ported" "theres no reason it cant be ported to the wii" "thersno reson it cant work on the wii other then graohics"

WELL there is, wii is old gen technology. It can't run what PS3/360 can, not just graphics but everything else.

who is benkanobi ???? just kidding, i know who you mean but I can´t remember him ever saying that the Wii is as or almost as powerfull as the 360/PS3, and yes some games can be ported and yes the Wii gets the short end of the stick, plus your second quote makes no sense, "thersno reson it cant work on the wii other then graohics" isn´t that what were talking about ????

Blue3 said:
your mother said:
Blue3 said:
Price does not equal perceived value. So a mediocre ford out selling a Lexus that costs 3 times as much means that ?

Apart from you, who said anything about the Ford being mediocre?

As far as the person who bought the Ford is concerned, he's obtaining tremendous value for a car that is similarly equipped but lacks the brand cachet of the Lexus, which he can happily live without.

Therefore, for the person who bought the Ford, it is a much better value than the overpriced Lexus.

Just like your Ferrari F50 you use as your avatar and as an analogy to the PS3: Many would consider the Ferrari a terrific car, just like many people would consider the Porsche 911 to be a terrific car, but many rather see the value in a Porsche since it's so much cheaper than an F50 and with the right tuning can be equally quick. Still, there are those who think the Skyline GTR is much better value because it can, in turn, smoke both cars with the right equipment and still come out cheaper than what it would cost to buy an F50.

Value is relative. Price is absolute. A Ferrari F50 will cost what it costs, and a Porsche 911 will cost what it costs, and a Nissan Skyline GTR will cost what it costs. However, to the person who is actually forking over the money, the perceived value of the cars can and will differ.

Of course, some will still think that the F50 is the better value overall, and more power to them. But suggesting that a Ford is mediocre simply because it is cheaper (and hence inferred as an inferior car) is completely missing the point.

Edit: BTW, Blue3, I'd like a reply from my question about your allegation that there are Wii fans that deny the Wii is underpowered compared to the Xbox 360 and the PS3. Please, when you get to replying to this post, you also reply to my initial post. Thanks.

LOL "similarly equipped" talk about understatment.

mayeb you will tell me a mustang is as good a M3 on the race track.

Yes, similarly equipped - go look up the manufacturer's websites.

Here's two cars you can compare - the Ford Taurus with the Lexus IS.

I won't tell you a Mustang is as good as an M3 on the race track, but who said cars are about racing?

People buy cars for different reasons. I can tell you that a Volvo station wagon is far superior to an M3, not on the racetrack, but on the mom's daily afternoon pickup of her son and his five friends from the soccer team. In that aspect, it beats the M3 hands down, and absolutely demolishes the Mustang.

As I said, value is relative. Price is absolute.

You have to stop wearing those horseblinds and stop thinking that the world thinks your way and your way only, when in reality not everyone perceives value in the same way you do. Just go ask the soccer kid's mom which car she prefers in her daily commute.

the wii isn't going to bad for "outdated technology" is it

I mean it is outselling all of its rivals in 2007 to date ;)

Wii number: 2758-1649-6225-4782

Click here to level up my license!

why even compare consoles with cars? makes no sense, they have different precieved values.

you can compare consoles to cars the day consoles drive me to work...

Around the Network
Blue3 said:
Yojimbo said:

I think its more of the fact that they're not denying it has weak hardware, but that its not as weak as people make out to be.

Try to defend your system instead of attacking others. Also, be more articulate instead of making curt replies to people that may ignite a flame war.

Blue3 said:

benkanobi, squirll dude. PS3/360 game "ohh it can be ported" "theres no reason it cant be ported to the wii" "thersno reson it cant work on the wii other then graohics"

WELL there is, wii is old gen technology. It can't run what PS3/360 can, not just graphics but everything else.

It's already been shown that it's not old technology. Such blatent falsehoods make every thing you post suspect.

The wii was built with new technology to make it smaller, more energy efficient with just a slight improvements to performance, improved control system, and lower costs. The lower support for graphics does not make it old, it just uses new technology differenct in it's design.

There are a lot of things you can complain about the wii, but calling it "OLD" technology is just simply wrong, Just because something is newer technology, doesn't mean it's more powerful.

So, unless you also consider the Xbox 360 "OLD" technology, stop trying to claim the wii is "old" technology. If you think the 360 is also "OLD" technology, then why don't you mention that too...

Hey... given games like wii sports and others using new control system...

PS3/360 is old gen technology. It can't run what wii can, just graphics but not anything else.

The average person doesn't know what's under the hood, just what he can see in games and the pricetag.

The average person doesn't also know Sony's arrogance and idiotic comments 

(Give money for every PS3 on the shelves, US are cheap people,etc), 

Nintendo's overpricing (hardwarewise and softwarewise-cool words!) 

and Microsoft's greedyness... 

Blue3 said:
Price does not equal perceived value. So a mediocre ford out selling a Lexus that costs 3 times as much means that ?

Wait, wait... do you know *anything* about marketing?  Price is one of the biggest factors in determining perceived value.  In fact, when price goes down, people automatically assume quality has, as well. 

There was a company that did a survey on a specific kind of meat... they found that (I'm making up numbers, but this is the general idea) 20% of the people were willing to pay $12/kilo, 40% were willing to pay $11/kilo, 60% were willing to pay $10/kilo, but once you got below that, the numbers went back down.  Why?  Because it's percieved that if you buy this kind of meat at such a low price, there's no way that meat can be any good.

A better example is why the cheaply-priced Deawoo will never outsell the equally-equipped, but more expensive Ford.