By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - is metal gear solid 4 undertracked

hmm i read an article about metal gear solid selling over a 1 million units in europe alone and another about mgs4 shiping 3 million copies, to me the numbers for mgs4 on here seem undertracked especillay in europe

does anyone agree

Around the Network

I'm not going to be here, but I'm going to say something to help you with this:

Shipped/Sold to retail =/= Sold to clients

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."

lol...look at this:

And then read this: http://vgchartz.com/methodology.php

there is enough units shipped to last for another 2 months...

Konami doesn't have to worry about stock levels for a while.

PooperScooper said:
there is enough units shipped to last for another 2 months...

Konami doesn't have to worry about stock levels for a while.

It's true. I'm pretty sure that 2/3's sellthrough at the end of last week is entirely plausable.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network

Actually I think it may be slightly undertracked too (for reasons I'll get into later), but it is essential to realize that the 3 million is a shipped figure, and VGChartz reports sold to consumers figures. Let me say that more simply.

Konami has announced that they have sold 3 million copies of the game to retailers (Amazon, Wal Mart, GAME, etc).
VGChartz has stated that those retailers have sold ~2 million of those copies to customers like you.

That's a lot of stock in the channel, though. Just from a purely shoot-from-the-hip standpoint, having 1 million copies in channel ("in the channel" is a term used to describe a game that retailers have purchased but they haven't sold to consumers yet) is a lot for a game that has thus far sold 2 million copies. It's not impossible, of course, but it's a lot.

We'll see, though.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

ecurbz put it perfectly.

Currently there are 3 million units that Konami shipped to stores. How many of these are in the hands of the PS3 owners? Consult the VGChartz front page.

Currently playing on PS3: God of War III

Currently playing on Xbox360: Final Fantasy XIII

Currently playing on NDS: Chrono Trigger

Bodhesatva said:

Actually I think it may be slightly undertracked too (for reasons I'll get into later), but it is essential to realize that the 3 million is a shipped figure, and VGChartz reports sold to consumers figures. Let me say that more simply.

Konami has announced that they have sold 3 million copies of the game to retailers (Amazon, Wal Mart, GAME, etc).
VGChartz has stated that those retailers have sold ~2 million of those copies to customers like you.

That's a lot of stock in the channel, though. Just from a purely shoot-from-the-hip standpoint, having 1 million copies in channel ("in the channel" is a term used to describe a game that retailers have purchased but they haven't sold to consumers yet) is a lot for a game that has thus far sold 2 million copies. It's not impossible, of course, but it's a lot.

We'll see, though.

I agree with Bod. 1M is a lot to have sitting on the shelves. I am glad that a mod can question our numbers if they do seem a bit iffy, instead of just ignoring the situation. 

I never question VGChartz hardware numbers, because they are usually spot on (or close enough). But our software numbers, particularly in Europe, aren't always accurate (because it is difficult to track Europe). 

Even so, I would think we are no more than 200-300K off, at the most, but I will accept 1.9M at the moment. By the way, keep up the good work ioi

1 million for this calibur of a game is not a lot to have sitting on shelves. Publishers always try to ship as many as possible. But they can only ship as many as retailers will physically buy. But if it's an extremely hyped game, especially one that opens big, then they are able to sell a lot more to those retailers given a larger difference in sales to shipped. Not to mention shipped numbers just mean how much the company has sold to retailers. You have no idea how many of those that are shipped that are still in retailer warehouses or in ships going to those retailers, ect.