By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Three Million for Metal Gear Solid 4

ssj12 said:
Ya I dont think our numbers are totally correct. Wal-Mart i work at is still completely sold out of PS3s.

being sold out of PS3 is different from being sold out of MG4

2008 year end sales (made in January 2008):

44.2 M 27.1 M 20.8 M

Around the Network

But one thing to remember is that when these games are shipped, Konami gets a big check. So they have gotten a check for 3 million sales (to retail) of MGS4 so far and they get both the publisher's and developer's cuts of the sales. So probably around $30 for Konami per game sold and the other $30 split between the store and Sony for royalties, 30 x 3 = 90 million dollars has been put into Konami's bank account because of this game (and counting). Its good to be them right now.

edit: shams beat me to it.

Thank you for helping us airheads out so much, I don't know what we would do without you.

Spectrumglr said:
ssj12 said:
Ya I dont think our numbers are totally correct. Wal-Mart i work at is still completely sold out of PS3s.

being sold out of PS3 is different from being sold out of MG4

I forgot to look I work Saturday, I'll see whats there. I do know Walmart got 3 shipments of the bundle.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

johnyboynogo said:

Kojima's latest is selling like hot Metal Gear!

June 26, 2008 - With Metal Gear Solid 4 confirmed at half a million sales in Japan and one million in Europe, the big question is, just how many copies has the game sold overall. While we don't have sales figures just yet, we do know the game's shipped number: three million.

Famitsu.com, in its coverage from a Sony investor meeting in Tokyo today, reported that the game has topped this milestone in worldwide shipped units. Speaking at the meeting, Sony Computer Entertainment president Kaz Hirai also noted that the game helped shift hardware.

Games were put a bit on the back burner for this particular briefing though, as Hirai announced a number of non-game initiatives for the PS3 and PSP, including new video and news services.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/884/884552p1.html

it says confirmed sales not shipped figures for all you air heads read

now why do you think vg chartz has the total number of sales at 1.90 million ??? and only about 650k for others including europe

Japan America Others Total
Total Sales 0.55m 0.65m 0.70m 1.90m

You realize that these are shipped figures as confirmed by Kotaku and every other person on the interent that has asked. This is like coming to the prom a week late. Those figures are shipped, and therefore, a 2/3's sellthrough is plausable.

Either way, when NPD rolls around we'll see how the numbers stack up, but chart-tracker is pretty much in line with VGChartz, if I'm not completely mistakes, for the UK. I'm even certain that chart-tracker publically announced that MGS didn't move hardware like analyists were expecting in UK, so be careful about how optimistic you are about your figures.

It hasn't sold 3 million units to consumers, that's a given. In fact, with 3m shipped from yesterday, I expect the highest possible amount sold could be 2.5m. 1.9 seems a little low, but like I said, it's plausable.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network
cwbys21 said:

But one thing to remember is that when these games are shipped, Konami gets a big check. So they have gotten a check for 3 million sales (to retail) of MGS4 so far and they get both the publisher's and developer's cuts of the sales. So probably around $30 for Konami per game sold and the other $30 split between the store and Sony for royalties, 30 x 3 = 90 million dollars has been put into Konami's bank account because of this game (and counting). Its good to be them right now.

edit: shams beat me to it.

Once you take out manufacturing costs & shipping costs (rumoured to be around $10US / unit for PS3 titles - can anyone confirm?), it comes to about $20/unit - which is about right. Either way, its a solid $60m - should just about have paid off that marketing budget + development budget (maybe) - so future shipments start bringing in the extra moola.

(Sony makes money off the games as well - maybe as much as $5-$7/unit sold)

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

$10 per game sounds a bit to high, unless blu ray is crazily more expensive right now than I think. Anyways, still a good chunk of money coming in for Konami with more to come.

"half a million sales in Japan and one million in Europe" means that Konami has sold this number to shops.
as proof, the next sentence admits "we don't have sales figures"

Go! right now, to your local computer game store and count how many copies of MGS4 there are, multiply this by the number of computer game stores in the world, and add in a heap for the amount of games currently in trucks or holding areas for retailers.

I hope this takes you long enough that you no longer have time to start pointless threads

Shipped =/= Sold

I'm guessing in about two weeks they'll have to prepare a new shipment. Am i beeing optimistic here guys ? Let's say 3 weeks.

"You have the right to the remains of a silent attorney"