By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why did Nintendo dump Rare

I think it seems that Rare is not making many games as a lot of the projects they made when with Nintendo were actually Nintendo trademarked franchises.

i.e Donkey Kong (also included games like the Racer games including Diddy Kong) and Star Fox.

I remember in the N64 days when at the height of their powers they only made a game or 2 ever year and that was with making games that Nintendo owned.

I think Nintendo did end up selling up due to quality was not as it was with what wasproduced and personel changes.

Wii number: 2758-1649-6225-4782

Click here to level up my license!

Around the Network
Legend11 said:
I think that things may be looking up for Rare since Microsoft wants more family friendly titles and Rare has done well with those kinds of games in the past. If Banjo Kazooie 3 is even close to being as good as Banjo Kazooie then it'll have a major hit on it's hands. If I was in charge of the Xbox 360 at Microsoft I'd have Rare working on a new Battletoads game as well as 2-3 other family friendly titles.

Battletoads was sold to Tradewest years ago and the last time Rare was asked to make a "family friendly" title, the Xbox got "Grabbed by the Ghoulies".

I've heard that Viva Pinata was alright, but in the end, it didn't matter because no one buys games like that on a MS console and they likely never will.

When your entire marketing push is "mature games for mature gamers", don't expect mothers to pick that kind of thing up for their kids.

If Nintendo is having a hard time beating the kiddie image and selling mature titles, then MS is going to have just as difficult a time beating the adult image and selling family titles. They're fighting the same battle, just in different directions.

"I mean, c'mon, Viva Pinata, a game with massive marketing, didn't sell worth a damn to the "sophisticated" 360 audience, despite near-universal praise--is that a sign that 360 owners are a bunch of casual ignoramuses that can't get their heads around a 'gardening' sim? Of course not. So let's please stop trying to micro-analyze one game out of hundreds and using it as the poster child for why good, non-1st party, games can't sell on Wii. (Everyone frequenting this site knows this is nonsense, and yet some of you just can't let it go because it's the only scab you have left to pick at after all your other "Wii will phail1!!1" straw men arguments have been put to the torch.)" - exindguy on Boom Blocks

Smash_Brother said:
Legend11 said:
I think that things may be looking up for Rare since Microsoft wants more family friendly titles and Rare has done well with those kinds of games in the past. If Banjo Kazooie 3 is even close to being as good as Banjo Kazooie then it'll have a major hit on it's hands. If I was in charge of the Xbox 360 at Microsoft I'd have Rare working on a new Battletoads game as well as 2-3 other family friendly titles.

Battletoads was sold to Tradewest years ago and the last time Rare was asked to make a "family friendly" title, the Xbox got "Grabbed by the Ghoulies".

I've heard that Viva Pinata was alright, but in the end, it didn't matter because no one buys games like that on a MS console and they likely never will.

When your entire marketing push is "mature games for mature gamers", don't expect mothers to pick that kind of thing up for their kids.

If Nintendo is having a hard time beating the kiddie image and selling mature titles, then MS is going to have just as difficult a time beating the adult image and selling family titles. They're fighting the same battle, just in different directions.

Very true. But, it makes me wonder why Microsoft holds onto them. They haven't been raking in the big bucks. They seem to be trying to bring in the younger market but it wont work with only Rare doing so.

Rare was stupid for leaving Nintendo. What did they even do on the Xbox? Where's Banjo Kazooie on the Xbox? Why didn't they make any "new" Conker games? They left behind their prized Donkey Kong, too. Rare sucked after it left Nintendo.

a.l.e.x59 said:
Rare was stupid for leaving Nintendo. What did they even do on the Xbox? Where's Banjo Kazooie on the Xbox? Why didn't they make any "new" Conker games? They left behind their prized Donkey Kong, too. Rare sucked after it left Nintendo.

1. Banjo Kazooie 3 hasn't been released yet.

2. They made two new Conker games (or at least one new one and remade another I think... hmmm).

3. Donkey Kong was a Nintendo Franchise first and foremost, it was never Rare's.

I'm more concerned personally as to whether or not GoldenEye ever makes it to the Virtual Console.

Around the Network

"I'm more concerned personally as to whether or not GoldenEye ever makes it to the Virtual Console".

That would be sweet. Maybe Rare could get some respect back this way. But IMO it is nearly impossible. 

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."

Well Rare doesn't own the rights to it, MGM does I believe, though I'm not sure who makes the call in deciding what it goes on.