By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Why should I buy a premium 360?

So there are enough games I like out, and coming out that a 360 is a worth-while purchase for me. Currently I am going for the Arcade model because quite frankly I don't see the advantage of the Premium. I have no intentions of ever hooking it up to the internet, and less desire to ever play online. Custom soundtracks for the games is of less than no appeal to me as I can just play music from the nearby stereo system.

Am I missing anything that might change my mind? I just can't see what is better about the model apart from coming with a hard-drive, but everyone swears the Arcade model is a waste. Before I go and drop a hefty sum of money on the system I want to at least try and understand the actual differences in the models from the end-user perspective. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Around the Network

I believe that people call it a waste because they care about the features which you don't.

Backwards compatibility, and the arcade model doesn't include component cables (only composite which you will not want to use unless you have an old TV).

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Given you're lack of desire for online the Arcade sounds like the way to go.

Mainly you will forfeit demo and trailer downloads. Also, you might miss out in the (unlikely but possible) event Microsoft allows HDD mandating.

At the end of the day if either of those bother you buy a Premium (might be worth it if you find a good bundle). Worst case scenario is you decide you need an HDD down the track and pay a little extra total.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

I only used the component cables for a few days while I was waiting to get a cheap HDMI cable. I wanted to use HDMI because my TV only has one set of component inputs, which the Wii had already claimed for itself.

Since you seem to have a Wii too, I hope your TV has HDMI so that you can keep both consoles connected at the same time. If that's the case, the only disadvantage of the Arcade that I see for you is the lack of backwards compatibility.

Around the Network

If you have no interest at all for downloadable content, new multiplayer maps, Xbox Live Arcade games, Xbox Original games, music and movie downloads, game demos, HD trailers then I suppose you dont need the 20GB.

But I must say for the small extra price its worth saving yourself against wanting something in the future e.g. GTA4 DLC and extra Guitar Hero/Rock Band songs to name just a few.

I bought a little box that switches between everything that demands my TVs inputs to work. My TV is probably 9-10 years old if I had to guess, but one of my friends found it on the side of the road, or was about to throw it out or something like that so I can't be sure. It has no component hook up though, let alone an hdmi slot. I have been tempted to upgrade, but its a nice TV with no problems so I can't justify spending money to replace it. Anyways, yes I can hook them both up but with a different method.

Edit @Eagle

I don't typically pay for extra content. If it is something phenomonal I might consider it, but I haven't seen anything close to that yet. Even Rock Band's amazing ability to churn out good content for small fees isn't really that tempting to me. Plus I don't have a wired connection currently active that could hook into the system, and I am certainly not paying $100 to use wireless.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Also, think of the money you'll save not paying for live ;)

Seriously though it's a good purchase, just a shame about the lack of b/c and hdd as others have said.

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

I would never buy the Arcade. It's a shame that MS still sell consoles without a HDD.
The HDD is a must have in this generation, so go and buy at least the Premium 360

@Gnizmo: In that case, I think your decision boils down to whether you're willing to pay for backwards compatibility or not.

If you buy the Arcade and want BC later, you can always buy a second-hand hard drive in the cheap, and your Arcade will become backwards compatible at that point (at least that's what I've heard).