By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What new games do you expect Sony to unveil at E3?

It's already been confirmed that Sony is set to unveil the colossal, godlike, nay TITANIC God of War III at this year's E3, and it will certainly give them a show to remember.  However, there is certainly more than one title that they have hidden up their sleeves.  So, what else will they bring to the table? 

Sony has a large number of projects in the works that we know about, many of which have yet to be revealed the public.  All of the following could possibly make an appearance:

• Uncharted 2 - We know Naughty Dog's working on something, and it's been all but confirmed to be Uncharted 2.  I know, I know, many of us want Jak 4 instead, but this game is certainly a worthy replacement.  I'm fairly positive that this game will be announced at E3 (though they may wait until February like Insomniac did with Resistance 2), but I'm absolutely certain this game will release around Holiday '09.

• Twisted Metal ps3 - David Jaffe has confirmed that his studio, Eat Sleep Play, is working on a new Twisted Metal for the ps3, and he has even hinted that the game will release in 2009.  How far along is the game?  Is it even playable?  Who knows, but in my opinion there's a pretty high likelihood that we'll see at least something form this title at E3.

• TRICO - The fanmade nickname given to Team ICO's third project (Shadow of the Colossus was original dubbed "NICO" by Ueda himself), TRICO could feasibly be announced at E3.  We haven't heard a peep out of Team ICO since they released Shadow of the Colossus back in 2005, so an announcement of their next project (projects?) has been a long time coming.  Given the nature of Fumito Ueda, however, it's quite likely that he'll wait until TGS to show off whatever he's been working on.  Ultimately, I think there's a 90% chance that the game will be announced at one of these two shows, though probably TGS rather than E3.

• Socom 4 -  Or is it even Socom 4?  All we know about Zipper's next project is that it is a "large scale multiplayer" game, something that sounds far bigger than Socom ever was.  Is Sony waiting to unveil the next Socom title after Confrontation is released?  Or is Confrontation the direction where Socom will be headed permanently, with Zipper now working on a new IP?  All we know is that Zipper hasn't released a thing since 2006, and in 2005-2006 released nothing but PSP titles.  They've had a lot of free time on their hands, so their next project must be pretty far along.  I'd say there's a 50% chance we'll see something from them at E3.

• Syphon Filter ps3 - Sony Bend has put out nothing but PSP games for the past couple of years, and I'm sure they've been pushing forward with a bigger project for quite while.  Seeing as they've been working exclusively on Syphon Filter for the past nine years, a new Syphon Filter for the ps3 seems likely.  I have no idea whether they'll show it off at E3, however.

And then there's the possibility of a few unexpected titles coming out of left field, like the rumored FPS Sony London is working on, the rumored action game Sony Liverpool is working on, or the "jaw-dropping" game the BBC guy reported on a while back (also rumored to be the action game Sony Liverpool is working on).  I mean, InFamous came out of pretty much nowhere last E3.

Of course, I'm sure we'll see some other announcements as well, concerning games that have already been revealed.  Here's a bit of what I think we'll see:

• LittleBigPlanet -  More gameplay details, a release date, and possible news of a beta.

• Resistance 2 - Singleplayer info, a release date, and possible news of a beta.

• Killzone 2 - Multiplayer details, a beta announcement, and possibly a more specific release date.

• InFamous - Gameplay footage...hell, a whole playable demo like the one GameInformer got their hands on, and hopefully a more specific release window (I don't really trust GI's "Spring 2009").

• White Knight Chronicles - It could show up, but I think we'll get more footage as well as a release date for Japan at TGS.

• Heavy Rain - We haven't seen ANYTHING from this game since it was announced, and when it was announced Quantic Dream said they were aiming for a Fall '08 release date.  Even if the game's been delayed, they have to be ready to show SOMETHING by now.  Sony didn't sign a publishing contract for nothing.

• Wardevil - Yeah, yeah, it's not being published by Sony, but I wanted to include it anyway, and you KNOW Sony will be pimping this with all it's other exclusives at E3.  Earlier this year, PSU reported that DigiGuys were aiming for a Q4 '08 release date, but that the game may get pushed to Q1 '09.   And then a trailer came out that actually said "Q1 '09" at the end.   If nothing else, we know the game isn't vaporware, so I expect to see some footage and lot's of details finally coming out at E3, if they really are planning to release the game in the next 6-9 months.

So, what do you guys think will get shown at E3?  What do you think of what I've written?

I plan to make one of these for Nintendo either tomorrow or Friday, but if anybody wants to beat me to the punch, please feel free, lol.

Around the Network

Expect to see first trailer of gow 3 and for a new game maybe uncharted or jak and daxter.

I'm willing to argue about Uncharted 2's release date.  IF they are working on a new Jak game ALREADY, then yes, I could see Uncharted 2 being released in the 09 holiday season.   But, they aren't going to be working on a new game so soon.  

2008 will be the first year that Naughty Dog hasn't released a new product in sucession. This is excluding the years that they took off for the Console Jumps. ( Such as PS1 to PS2, ect.) What that means to me is they are going to have appx. 13 months behind them at the end of this year for the new upcoming game.  Lets do a little math, RELEASE HOLIDAY 09' = Appx. 24 months.  RELEASE DATE: MAY 09=Appx. 18 months.   Seeing as it's N-Dog, they only took 2 years to do Uncharted because they were going to a new platform, then normally they take a year to release a new product.  Though, with the PS3's difficult development, they are taking more time.  This means that they'll take about 1.5 years to do Uncharted 2 at the very least. 

1.5 Years=18 Months.  Uncharted released in Nov. of 2007, 18 months from then=MAY 2009!!!

See, there is a method to my inane madness.  I'm not just pulling a release date out of my @$$!

Check us out at the Vindication Gamer Network on Youtube. 

Besides all that's in the OP, I'm hoping to see the following for the PS3 from Sony (not counting 3rd parties):

GT5 - show details on number of cars/manufacturers and tracks. Show us deformation that will be available in the game as well as a patch in Prologue
Jak and Daxter The Lost Frontier
The Agency
New RPGs both WRPG and JRPG developed by a 2nd or 1st party studio.

For PSP
GTMobile
LocoRoco 2
Patapon 2
Continued support - new original games announced for the platform as they said they would.
Please no PSP2 mentioned this year.

I'm expecting Sony to make a huge thing of their exclusive rockstar game, announcing it as a "strategic partnership" or something along those lines

Hi, i'm solojohlo and i'm pretty fucking awesome

Around the Network

I think that both Sony and MS will use E3 as a platform to position them as "leaders" in the casual market. As much as I would want to hear about the games the op has listed, I think we will be hearing more about motion controllers and other Wii knock-offs. Good list though.

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

I bet SONY will show off.

New team ICO project. Team ICO's next game will be named and we will see a trailer for it. No release date or detailed information will be released.

WKC will have an amazing trailer and SONY will show off the game before announcing it's due out in 2008... in japan... with TBA for NA and PAL regions.

GoW3 will be announced and we will see a trailer which will end with "Early 2009". Early next year SONY will then announce GOW3 will be released in April 2009 on PS3 ( April in order give next fiscal year a good start, besides Feb. has KZ2).

More information on Infamous will be released along with a new trailer and a playable demo for press at the show...

Finally SONY will focus on profitability this fiscal, in-game XMB, trophies, video download service and Playstation store access on PSP. As such while we will see most the games we want to see we won't be given many solid release dates...

Feniris said:

I'm willing to argue about Uncharted 2's release date.  IF they are working on a new Jak game ALREADY, then yes, I could see Uncharted 2 being released in the 09 holiday season.   But, they aren't going to be working on a new game so soon.  

2008 will be the first year that Naughty Dog hasn't released a new product in sucession. This is excluding the years that they took off for the Console Jumps. ( Such as PS1 to PS2, ect.) What that means to me is they are going to have appx. 13 months behind them at the end of this year for the new upcoming game.  Lets do a little math, RELEASE HOLIDAY 09' = Appx. 24 months.  RELEASE DATE: MAY 09=Appx. 18 months.   Seeing as it's N-Dog, they only took 2 years to do Uncharted because they were going to a new platform, then normally they take a year to release a new product.  Though, with the PS3's difficult development, they are taking more time.  This means that they'll take about 1.5 years to do Uncharted 2 at the very least. 

1.5 Years=18 Months.  Uncharted released in Nov. of 2007, 18 months from then=MAY 2009!!!

See, there is a method to my inane madness.  I'm not just pulling a release date out of my @$$!

Well, on PS2 they did have a 2 year gap between Jak and Jak II and Evan Wells has said that they will have the same this generation so I am expecting Uncharted 2 in 09, and then 3 or Jak 4 in 10

There could be a full WipEout game announcement, as well as God of War III. I think Sony will show something at E3 of FF XIII to showcase the PS3

Uncharted 2
God of War 3
Twisted Metal PS3
LittleBigPlanet
Resistance 2
Socom Confrontation
Free Realms
LocoRoco 2
WipeOut HD
Killzone 2
Infamous
White Knight Chronicles
Heavy Rain
Final Fantasy XIII
Jak and Daxter
The Agency
Wardevil

Munkeh111 said:
Feniris said:

Well, on PS2 they did have a 2 year gap between Jak and Jak II and Evan Wells has said that they will have the same this generation so I am expecting Uncharted 2 in 09, and then 3 or Jak 4 in 10

There could be a full WipEout game announcement, as well as God of War III. I think Sony will show something at E3 of FF XIII to showcase the PS3

You are correct.  Jak & Daxter released around the holiday season of 2001, and Jak II released around the holiday season of '03. A two year gap between Uncharted and Uncharted 2 makes perfect sense.

And if they do another Jak game after Uncharted 2, I could potentially see there being yet another two year gap between titles, as they'd have to do all the work of bringing Jak to the next gen (new art assets, reinvent the gameplay, etc.) rather than just tweak an already existing franchise in a new locale like they're doing with Uncharted 2.