By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - EU sales UP!!PS3 OUCH!

darthdevidem01 said:

PS3 - 84K (last weeks sales adjusted DOWN to 111K from 118K)

Wii - 147K

360 - 63K

DS - 220K

PSP - 70K

AWFUL...just awful....I had to spit out my ice cream

Also there will be VERY LOW NA sales due to NO 80GB BUNDLES this week.

PS3 is in for a rough time this week...

PS. this will be my last "** SALES UP" thread until late August due to school camp + 2 holidays with family...

Aw.  I always like seeing these... scrolling up... seeing the sales... thinking "Man he's overreacting" then watch the bickering.

Have fun.  Either way 84K doesn't seem that bad.

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:
darthdevidem01 said:
Imthelegend said:
Ouch. Expected and all but what can Sony do to improve the lack of PS3 sales. Don't think even a price cut would do a huge amount over the long term IMO.

300% increase in NA YOY, 200% increase in EU YOY

PS3 is the only console in history to have such increased sales even months after a price cut.

A $200 price reduction (potentially the biggest price reduction ever), the Blu-Ray format winning (and the PS3 being the least expensive and only fully compatible Blu-Ray player), and the release of two of the biggest games of the generation should be credited for that ... it wasn't just a price reduction.

I still laugh when people try to pull this one off.

NJ5 said:
PS3 dominating 360 by 20k consoles a week after one of its biggest exclusives...

@Munkeh111: Actually I always heard MGS was pretty big in Europe, or am I mistaken?

Acccording to VGC, MGS is as popular in the 'States as it is in the EU.

PS3 is the only console in history to have such increased sales even months after a price cut.

Darth - your statement about "the PS3 is the only console to have such increased sales after a price cut" is a rather wrong statement. The 360 has seen a 117% YOY increase due to a similar price drop. And what figures are you using to compare "YOY" for the PS3 in Europe? The PS3 was released well into 2008, and it seems like your basing this "200% YOY" off of this fact. Care to explain?

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Looks like the price cut had a bigger effect than MGS4 and with no price cut for PS3 in the near future and 360 probably having a price cut in NA and can possibly have a new console released(more HDD space) and still make a profit it looks like 360 can still finish second in the console race.

HappySqurriel said:
darthdevidem01 said:
Imthelegend said:
Ouch. Expected and all but what can Sony do to improve the lack of PS3 sales. Don't think even a price cut would do a huge amount over the long term IMO.

A $200 price reduction (potentially the biggest price reduction ever), the Blu-Ray format winning (and the PS3 being the least expensive and only fully compatible Blu-Ray player), and the release of two of the biggest games of the generation should be credited for that ... it wasn't just a price reduction.

well $200 in only NA...not in EU

I agree with your other points.....but BC removed reduced the impact as well...so sales could've been much higher

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network
*bleu-ocelot* said:
I's this a good thing or bad thing for Sony.You decide.

In absolute terms, it's not bad. Relatively to expectations, it's not that good. Europe is supposed to be PS3's biggest market, and MGS is a big franchise in Europe. One would expect a more sustained boost. Sales were actually lower than in the weeks leading to MGS4.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

PS3 adjusted down but what about Wii? Wii is still over tracked by 500k in Germany and France.

PooperScooper said:
HappySqurriel said:
darthdevidem01 said:
Imthelegend said:

You can argue semantics all you want but the main SKU of the PS3 went from being a $600 60GB PS3 with full backwards compatibility to being a $400 40GB PS3 with no backwards compatibility ... A $200 price difference between the products Sony was pushing.

Well, hopefully sales for 360/PS3 go up if the current rumor in EGM proves to be true. The one about the massive price cuts and 3rd party hardware support that is.

PS3/360 massive price cuts supposedly coming this Fall.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

PooperScooper said:
HappySqurriel said:

You're right, he should have said 200 €, since that's the currency used in Europe.

No, there was never a 500 € model here, the PS3 went straight from 600 € to 400 € (and lost 20 GBs of storage in the process).

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957