By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - EU sales UP!!PS3 OUCH!

cookingyourmama said:
koffieboon said:
cookingyourmama said:

Sooooooo what you're trying to say is npd a multi million company who's job it is to track numbers are totally wrong and at the same time microsoft, nintendo and sony who know their own numbers stand by whilst npd report wrong numbers and they don't say anything, yeah sure makes perfect sense......

No, what I am saying is that the Americas (so Vgchartz numbers) account for more than only the US and Canada, so sales in other countries (like Mexico and Brazil) make up the difference. So those 700k Wiis and 500k Xbox 360s might have been sold in the rest of the Americas. However when I looked up the launch date for PS3 for Brazil I got the impression it hasn't launched there yet, so I doubt it is even released in South America already. If not, then only Mexico is left to raise PS3 sales above NPDs numbers for the US and Canada and it is possible that the PS3 isn't selling too well in Mexico. If there are hardly any sales for PS3 in the remainder of the Americas it means PS3 numbers for the Americas should be almost equal to NPD US + Canada.

In a nutshell it's not very likely that next to no ps3's have been sold in the rest of america and 500k 360's and 700k wii's have been sold in the same regions that sony has sold next to nothing.

Did you even read my whole reply? I mention that I wonder if PS3 is even released in large parts of the Americas. If it hasn't, it can't add any sales to its tally from there can it? Also Happy Squirriel has a valid point about copying games, the fact that it isn't possible for PS3 at the moment makes the console a lot less attractive in the areas outside of the US and Canada, so it really is possible PS3 hardly sold any copies in the Americas outside of the US and Canada.

Around the Network
cookingyourmama said:

In a nutshell it's not very likely that next to no ps3's have been sold in the rest of america and 500k 360's and 700k wii's have been sold in the same regions that sony has sold next to nothing.

Well, you don't live here, so how do you know, what I know is that the WIi and the 360 are more popular due to a couple of reasons, price and piracy, both can play downloaded games with just a modchip, and the PS3 can't and is very expensive around here, so thats why I'm surprised, you can buy a Wii/360 put a modchip and ejoys games for less than $1...

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."

Well this is a forum of opinions like any other and i'll just say i'll leave other people to believe that the 360 and wii have sold huge amounts in untracked countries whilst the ps3 has sold next to nothing.....my personal opinion is that's not very likely and the true numbers are somewhere inbetween npd's and vgchartz numbers.

Gnizmo said:
HappySqurriel said:
darthdevidem01 said:
Imthelegend said:
Ouch. Expected and all but what can Sony do to improve the lack of PS3 sales. Don't think even a price cut would do a huge amount over the long term IMO.

300% increase in NA YOY, 200% increase in EU YOY

PS3 is the only console in history to have such increased sales even months after a price cut.

A $200 price reduction (potentially the biggest price reduction ever), the Blu-Ray format winning (and the PS3 being the least expensive and only fully compatible Blu-Ray player), and the release of two of the biggest games of the generation should be credited for that ... it wasn't just a price reduction.

Is it actually still supposed to be the cheapest blu-ray player on the market? I swear I saw a player for $350 (or possibly slightly less) in Wal-mart a month or so back. I won't be able to check again for a week or so to see if it was just a sale price or what have you. A quick search online show similar prices though.

It's still the best Blue Ray player on the market due to the ability to do firmware update.

Blue-Ray standards is still evolving and some of the players on the market won't support all the upcoming features or will require complex updates to support.

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Wasn't it just last month fanboys were telling us wrong NPD was because there wasn't a huge bump in console sales for the PS3/360 and how much more accurate VGC was?

Now all the sudden, NPD is accurate and VGC is wrong.

Around the Network
cookingyourmama said:

Well this is a forum of opinions like any other and i'll just say i'll leave other people to believe that the 360 and wii have sold huge amounts in untracked countries whilst the ps3 has sold next to nothing.....my personal opinion is that's not very likely and the true numbers are somewhere inbetween npd's and vgchartz numbers.

You're free to have your own opinion, I just tried to explain what could have caused the difference between NPD and Vgchartz for Wii and 360, while PS3 isn't higher than NPD.

Marty8370 said:
PS3's are in short supply, that's why sales are down. Sony has already gone on record stating the new MGS4 bundles will appear in July.

Nintendo's never had to bundle a game with the Wii to make it sell, besides Wii-Sports, and the Wii is always in short supply so those are not really valid excuses, though I do see where you're coming from.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

cookingyourmama said:

Really who knows the truth. These numbers are estimates. However, when on VGChartz, we use VGChart numbers for our comparisons, which are largely based around official shipped figures. Go back to March and look at the shipped fiscal year for the Wii, then extrapolate that number and see who is seeming more correct, with their overall numbers.

In other words, it's very likely that the Wii is over-tracked in America. However, if that's the case, the Wii is under-tracked somewhere else, because the overall hardware number is correct, obviously.

It should also be noted that the NPD USA+Canada figures were never meant to be the actual total amount of Wii's sold on this side of the Pacific. While your point of the PS3 selling no more units, while the 360 and Wii sold a lot more, is valid and notable, one would expect a lot more Wii's to be sold in this region.

Now, even if you claim VGChartz and NPD are both wrong, which I'm sure they slightly are, the numbers for both companies are still within the 10% margin for error inherant to prediction, so the difference is negligable.

In the end, if you deny that the Wii isn't outselling the PS3 by about what VGChartz says it is, you'll be in for a harsh reality when next year rolls around and shipped data comes up again.

It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Rubbish. Nintendo  had no option but to bundle 'Wii Sports' with the Wii. Cos the Wii hardware is so bad and Wiimote is nothing but a gimmick. Nintendo had to make the Wii look like value for money. Which it clearly is'nt.

FishyJoe said:
Wasn't it just last month fanboys were telling us wrong NPD was because there wasn't a huge bump in console sales for the PS3/360 and how much more accurate VGC was?

Now all the sudden, NPD is accurate and VGC is wrong.

Who said that?

Also why isnt your name red

mM