By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - EU sales UP!!PS3 OUCH!

trestres said:
@Lightning: I'm not cheerleading FishyJoe's post. If you check properly I had already responded to him before Fishy posted, but he ignored my post, so in a way I was reivindicating myself.

Anyways, you are getting allied with the wrong person this time, and if you value the site and this community, you shouldn't do so.

I guess that's all you will hear from me.

LOL getting allied, you see this as a war? ROFL

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network

I am surprised by MGS 4 EU SW sales. with 1m shipped in the 1st week, I would expect closer to that nearly 2 weeks in

Diomedes1976 said:
Sorry to burst your bubble but the last NPD data for US had Wii at 10.2 million and X360 at 10.27.Considering that not one of these consoles has reached 1 million on Canada the numbers are close to 1 million of overtracking for the 360 and nearing 1.5 million for the Wii.For the PS3 ,though ,sales are similar to NPD US+Canada if not somewhat inferior.

Stop with the damage control every time I say something.I am not making numbers up myself.This is NPD data.

You really aren't very good at math are you? Wii is at 11.89M for the Americas at May 31. NPD US is at 10.19M for the end of May, NPD Canada is at 813k at the end of March. Those combined are 11M already and still miss Canadian sales for April and May. If US numbers are any indication for the Canadian sales Wii probably sold between 100k and 150k in that period, so the total difference between Vgchartz and NPD is 750-800k. It is a difference, but it isn't over a million let alone the 1.5M million you're claiming.

Xbox 360 is at 11.60M for the Americas at May 31. NPD US is at 10.27M, NPD Canada isn't exactly known but is estimated to be around 700k at the end of 2007. (The numbers for December 2005 are missing, without those it sold about 670k) Combining those puts at just under 11M, with the whole of 2008 missing for Canada. Assuming it sold between 100k and 200k during that period it means the difference between Vgchartz and NPD is 400-500k, not even close to the 1 million you're claiming. Even taking out all the parts where I had to make some assumptions the difference is simply not bigger than 900k for Wii and 650k for Xbox 360. So there is no damage control from my side, there is only your constant claims about overtracking consoles that are almost NEVER backed up by the facts.

Munkeh111 said:
I am surprised by MGS 4 EU SW sales. with 1m shipped in the 1st week, I would expect closer to that nearly 2 weeks in

so am I....I find it hard to believe 300K are just "sitting" on shelves....cus it was actually sold out at my local place

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

hmm i was at 4 electronic shops today and mgs4 and ps3 was sold out in all of them. while wii's and 360's was sitting on the shelves.

Around the Network

PS3's are in short supply, that's why sales are down. Sony has already gone on record stating the new MGS4 bundles will appear in July.

In b4 ps3 undertracked in Belgium.

Damn late =(

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

HappySqurriel said:
darthdevidem01 said:
Imthelegend said:
Ouch. Expected and all but what can Sony do to improve the lack of PS3 sales. Don't think even a price cut would do a huge amount over the long term IMO.

300% increase in NA YOY, 200% increase in EU YOY

PS3 is the only console in history to have such increased sales even months after a price cut.

A $200 price reduction (potentially the biggest price reduction ever), the Blu-Ray format winning (and the PS3 being the least expensive and only fully compatible Blu-Ray player), and the release of two of the biggest games of the generation should be credited for that ... it wasn't just a price reduction.

Is it actually still supposed to be the cheapest blu-ray player on the market? I swear I saw a player for $350 (or possibly slightly less) in Wal-mart a month or so back. I won't be able to check again for a week or so to see if it was just a sale price or what have you. A quick search online show similar prices though.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

The price and the 40 GB model are currently the killers for the PS3. When Sony brings the 80 GB version for a comparable price the sales will go much higher.

Whilst Diomedes can act like a fanboy at times he does have a point. Their is a big difference between vgchartz american numbers and npd's for the wii and 360 but not for the ps3. Now i'm not saying who is right and who is wrong i'm just stating the facts that the two sets of numbers are very different.

As of the end of may 2008 npd total ltd's are this:

PS3 - 4,450,000
Wii - 10,180,000
360 - 10,270,000

When you add in canada's numbers which is a combination of reported numbers and % estimates based on previous american numbers compared to the same month of canadian numbers you get:

PS3 - 4,911,806
Wii - 11,121,396
360 - 11,111,757

Now comparing that to vgchartz numbers for the same time you get:

npd+canada  4,911,806 - vgc  4,943,560 - +31,754
npd+canada 11,121,396 - vgc 11,891,587 - +770,191
npd+canada 11,111,757 - vgc 11,599,497 - +487,740

The ps3 numbers are almost identical with vgchartz being +31,754 higher

The wii ltd number is vastly above npd's ltd number at +770,191 higher. Anybody who thinks being over three quaters of a million isn't a significantly higher number needs their head checked.

The 360's number is again well above npd's ltd number at +487,740 higher. That's almost half a million.

Now if all 3 consoles were roughly the same when it came to being higher or lower to npd's numbers i wouldn't say anything but the fact their is such a huge difference is something that can't be ignored.