By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - EU sales UP!!PS3 OUCH!

HappySqurriel said:
CrazzyMan said:

@NJ5,
http://vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=PS3®1=------&cons2=PS3®2=------&cons3=PS3®3=Total+Other&start=39453&end=39621

GT5P - 85 - 106 - 143 - 129 - 106
GTA4 - 98 - 111 - 189 - 119 - 101
MGS4 - 88 - 93 - 111 - 84 -

it`s just strange...

What's strange?

People have been telling you for months that "System Selling" games did not work in the way you thought that they did ...

These games tend to have just as much of an impact leading up to the release of a big game as they do after, so the don't have a noticeable boost in sales except for the week of release. It is quite plausable that (over the next month or so) sales of the PS3 could drop to new lows because of the lack of highly anticipated established series on the horizon, and the summer slump.

I think we can come to the conclusion that the only system selling games are actually new IP's which become huge in success....i.e. Pokemon, GEOW, Gran Turismo, GTa 3, Wii series....so games that no-one expects much from that deliver and become a phenomenon.

I am hoping LBP will be just that

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network
darthdevidem01 said:
Spectrumglr said:
CrazzyMan said:

@NJ5,
http://vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=PS3®1=------&cons2=PS3®2=------&cons3=PS3®3=Total+Other&start=39453&end=39621

it`s just strange...

no, it's summer.

summer is when everyone has the most free time....I'll never understand why console n games don't sell the most in summer

Speak for yourself, man. Most adults don't have the summer off.

Plus, I can think of better things to do with sunshine than ignoring it by staying inside and playing games. 

We can dance around the topic all day, but every single day the Playstation 3 and the Xbox 360 lose momentum to the Wii. Part of the reason is price, the other part of the reason is market perception.

Its been ingrained in Nother American people's heads that the Playstation 3 is $600. No matter what type of price cut is done, people will still remember those cold days in November, where they waited outside a story for a system with no games on it.

Without trying to sound like I'm bashing on the console, thats all said and done, and Sony has pulled its act together for the hardcore gamer, however, this is the PEREFCT oppurtunity for Sony to rebrand themselves. The online is finally there, the system is finally sleek, and the ease of use is ever increasing (there are still some issues, but for the most part they are 60% of the way there).

It would probably be wise to take a playbook out of some of the Wii owner's suggestions. Introduce a slimmer, sexier, and motion control based Playstation 3 that comes bundled with workout, educational, trvia, and karoke games. Successful rebranding has saved the DS, PSP, and even Pepsi.

People assume price is the only barrier. Its not just price, but market perception. Sony still has a household name, and it can still succesfully reband it self with a new logo, design philosophy, and game structure.

If you have that console out, the Playstation brand will be able to save face.

Console Agnostic since 2001.

*bleu-ocelot* said:
I's this a good thing or bad thing for Sony.You decide.

How could it possibly be a good thing?

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

darthdevidem01 said:
HappySqurriel said:
CrazzyMan said:

@NJ5,

it`s just strange...

What's strange?

People have been telling you for months that "System Selling" games did not work in the way you thought that they did ...

These games tend to have just as much of an impact leading up to the release of a big game as they do after, so the don't have a noticeable boost in sales except for the week of release. It is quite plausable that (over the next month or so) sales of the PS3 could drop to new lows because of the lack of highly anticipated established series on the horizon, and the summer slump.

I think we can come to the conclusion that the only system selling games are actually new IP's which become huge in success....i.e. Pokemon, GEOW, Gran Turismo, GTa 3, Wii series....so games that no-one expects much from that deliver and become a phenomenon.

It won't be. Really, Sony is just going to have to eventually drop the price since the market for the price they have now is essentially hitting the saturation point. As for the market perception spiel, I don't know if adding motion controls like the Wii is going to solve the problem. Because the perception is right now, that the Wii is the place for motion controls, and anything else would be a cheap cash in. The problem with MGS4's impact, is that Sony has released so many different kinds of bundles in both Europe and Japan that they are no longer special to the consumer anymore.

Around the Network
Fernando said:

Well... if GTA and MGS4 didn't help to mantain the sales, I doubt there's other game this year that will do the miracle.

Just two more games in the famous "just wait until..." list this year: LBP and Resistance 2. And I don't think that this two games are going to help more than GTA and MGS4.

=p

No one game will sustain a higher plateau instantly and permanently.  PS3 is on a sustained uptrend, however.  LBP and R2 will just be part of it, like GTA and MGS4 will be.  360's sales trends...not so hot; it's predictably in 3rd place weekly, and has been for most of this year.  Wii seems supply constrained still, but if they are producing 1.8 million per month and only selling 45k/week in Japan, something seems awry.

darthdevidem01 said:
HappySqurriel said:
CrazzyMan said:

@NJ5,

it`s just strange...

What's strange?

So by your own definition and your hopes about the game (Shared by a lot of fans) LBP will not deliver :P

But come one, did anybody expect and increase???

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."
darthdevidem01 said:
Spectrumglr said:
CrazzyMan said:

@NJ5,
http://vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=PS3&reg1=------&cons2=PS3&reg2=------&cons3=PS3&reg3=Total+Other&start=39453&end=39621

it`s just strange...

no, it's summer.

summer is when everyone has the most free time....I'll never understand why console n games don't sell the most in summer

no..summer is when you don't want to stay at home playing videogames.

i see from your profile that you're very young: enjoy all of your free time :)

2008 year end sales (made in January 2008):

44.2 M 27.1 M 20.8 M

darthdevidem01 said:
Spectrumglr said:
CrazzyMan said:

@NJ5,
http://vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=PS3&reg1=------&cons2=PS3&reg2=------&cons3=PS3&reg3=Total+Other&start=39453&end=39621

it`s just strange...

no, it's summer.

Cause most people aren't you and I who can play games for hours and hours at a time.  Most people buy them to play for one or two hours when they can't do anything else.

During summer for kids they're free.  So they can all hang out with each other and do stuff rather then have nothing to do.

Granted what my friends often did was play videogames at my house... but they didn't want to play the PS2, or the cube... nah they mostly wanted to play the NES.  Either beat a Megaman or Castlevania.  Or if that didn't work the 64 got broke out for some Goldeneye and Mario Kart.

Well except for that one summer where they would not stop wanting to play Monkey Ball.

FishyJoe said:

PSP sales only up 4k for  FFVII:CC (looked at wrong table before). So much for any boost.

Erm...

Did anyone expect a boost?