By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Some sony fans to be dissapointed with FFXIII sales and its effect on ps3?

MGS4

/thread

Around the Network

I agree with some parts , not all of them ( to bored to write them ) but Nintendo would be stupid to release a Zelda game during the FFXIII launch . Zelda is big , but far from being a FF killer in Japan ;)

Also , MH3 could be a hit or miss . Dont expect it to do MHP2G sales or have the same legs ...

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

darthdevidem01 said:
sc94597 said:
darthdevidem01 said:
well I disagree completely

FF12 was released in the month Ps3 was released....also remember FF9 and its low sales....well it had the same problem as FF12 (released when the next generation playstation was out)

so that reason is void imo.

MGS4 has proven that PS3 games can sell almost as well as previous iterations

also you have to see it will be the only important JRPG on PS3..so all fans will flock to it.

My predictiions are simple:

Japan - 2.5 million

Others - 3 million

NA - 3 million

Of course, that is why I compared it mostly to X.  Also MGS4 was possible, do you really believe that FFXIII will have such large attach rates? 25% vs 90/100% That is one of the reasons why I don't believe square enix will release it this year. The ps3 needs a much larger install base in japan, or they will have to make it even more popular in the west, with the cost of japanese sales. Also I highly doubt others will sell 3mln. X only sold 2 mln, and VII only sold 2.7 mln.

We know FF13 isn't coming till 09....so PS3's userbase will be lets say 22 - 25 million when it comes out

Yes, but lets focus on the regions that are the most important for Final Fantasy games. It won't have too much sales in japan, and most of them are from others and america. Yet ff games were never as popular in others as they were in Japan or America, and I already gave America sales that fit that of previous games.

I dont think we will be dissapionted think it will turn up to be a great game, about the sales dont think it will sell like ff7 but think it can do 7-8 mill lifetime.

FFXIII appeals just as much to casual gamers as it does to core games. MGS4 on the other hand, generally only appeals to the core gamers who already had a PS3 or were planning on getting a PS3.

Around the Network
hunter_alien said:
I agree with some parts , not all of them ( to bored to write them ) but Nintendo would be stupid to release a Zelda game during the FFXIII launch . Zelda is big , but far from being a FF killer in Japan ;)

Also , MH3 could be a hit or miss . Dont expect it to do MHP2G sales or have the same legs ...

Of course, I have a problem with people saying one game is a killer of something, but don't think it won't compete with the sales. Who know Nintendo could release a pokemon game, or a mario game. Also in america and others Zelda has similar sales to final fantasy games. In japan not so much, but still will compete. A wii series game could do alot too even though they are more about legs.  Anyway it doesn't really matter which games, there are alot of games that can take sales from Final Fantasy.

sc94597 said:

Here is why it won't sell more than 6 mIn lifetime maximum

My predictions for FFXIII's lifetime sales are

Japan- 2mln

Others- 1-2 mln

U.S-  3 mln

Total- 6-7mln

Nice...

Just like MGS series FF games always had similar first week sales after FFVII but on much bigger scale. If over 100k bundles can be made for MGS4 then 300-400k bundles for FF game is minimum. LTD in Japan depend on user base and FF games are always front loaded. FFX was released with install base of 5 million in Japan and still sold over 3 million.

Are those numbers a bit high? The JRPG userbase is split between 3 consoles this generation and the PS3 console sales aren't high enough to sustain such a niche genre to 6-7 million copies.

Attach rates of 1/3rd at total sales of 20ish million?

Tease.

Riachu said:
FFXIII appeals just as much to casual gamers as it does to core games. MGS4 on the other hand, generally only appeals to the core gamers who already had a PS3 or were planning on getting a PS3.

But are their casual gamers on the ps3? If so not on the level as the ps2. Despite what some think not every person likes FF and in order to pull of sales close to its predecesors you need just about that in Japan.