By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - What is the colour of water?

Some places, water looks like diarrhea

I am WEEzY. You can suck my Nintendo loving BALLS!

MynameisGARY

Around the Network
sc94597 said:
Munkeh111 said:
It is colourless, but what it does is refract the light to distort the image, showing us that it is there

In that case everything is colorless. You do know that a refraction in light is a color right?

Yes. Gold nanoparticles are purple. It's not what they 'really' are (atoms are not shiny hard spheres). it's the absorption spectra that causes our perception of colour.

Menago KF said:
pure h20 is not blue on any basis. Tough thing to be when it's a union of two colorless atoms (or particles, whatever)

That is a completely ignorant statement.  The color (or other properties) of a molecule (which is what water is) are not going to be the same as with the colors (or other properties) of any individual atoms that make it up.  Carbon is typically a black solid (except as diamonds), hydrogen, nitrogen and oxygen are colorless gases, yet as C16H10N2O2, they form indigo dye that makes blue jeans the color they are.  NO2 formed from two colorless gases is reddish-brown, not colorless.  Sodium is a silver metal, Chlorine is a greenish gas, but Sodium Chloride (Salt) is white.  Lead is dull gray, oxygen is colorless, but Pb3O4 is bright red-orange.

clear

Nintendo Network ID: Sherlock99

Okay, the statement i made about to transparent particles forming only transparent substances is of course, false.

Still i hold my ground on pure H20.

Huh. Who would've thought that beggining anew in my real life would coincide with starting anew on vgchartz?

Any day now, the dollar will be worth less than 2 zloty......any day now.....and my life savings will be in total jepordy ;(.

Around the Network
Menago KF said:

Still i hold my ground on pure H20.

Scientific fact: When light of the same emission spectrum of the Sun strikes pure water, the light that is reflected is of a wavelength that is percieved by our brain as blue.

Isnt it like air? it contains very very small amounts of blue particles which reflect only blue light (depending on the colour of the water), this means that in small amounts the coloured content is far too small to be visable, but when in large amounts there is a sufficient amount of particles for us to see :D

colourless and odorless.... well.. not in Venecia...

SSBB FC: 5155 2671 4071 elgefe02: "VGChartz's Resident Raving Rabbit"   MKWii:5155-3729-0989

sc94597 said:
Munkeh111 said:
It is colourless, but what it does is refract the light to distort the image, showing us that it is there

In that case everything is colorless. You do know that a refraction in light is a color right?

When it enters the water, the light is separated, but the rays come back together to form light

It's been said before, but the answer is blue. And yes, also on the molecule scale it's blue.