By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Namco had done it! Super Mario sluggers, best 3rd party sports game yet ;)

"Namco had done it! Super Mario sluggers, best 3rd party sports game yet ;)"

It's 2nd party, not 3rd. Nintendo owns the rights to Mario.

Around the Network

Yeah, lets see Mario Tennis and Mario Golf. I could care less about the rest of the Mario sports games.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Onyxmeth said:

It looks like with Power Pros being the real gem, The Bigs being the arcadey experience and 2K being the sim, this is a game that won't be able to carve out a real identity for itself outside of folks craving Mario characters in their sports games. Usually Nintendo are not the ones playing catch up on their own consoles, but in this case they are. Not to mention it's being done by Namco. I shudder when I recall their "masterpieces" in the Star Fox and Mario Kart universes. I'll be putting my dough towards Power Pros.

Considering that it's most likely going to outsell all of those games mentioned combined, I don't think it's going to have a problem carving out anything. That and I'm not really sure how Nintendo is playing catch up with a game they're not making. Sounds like another desperate accusation and just one more step towards the OMG H8 U list like Mario Party 8 and Carnival Games before it.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

well i hope it will be good not only look good

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Zucas said:
Whatev. What I really want is another Mario Golf game.

Well, didn't Camelot make the GC version?  I believe they have a Wii golf game(I don't know if it's out yet).  It's not Mario and the gang, but did that really come into play in the game?

I would just pick that one up.

My End of 2008 Hardware Predictions (console only):

Wii : 50 million

360: 28 million

PS3: 24 million

These predictions were made on January 3rd and won't be revised

LINK

Around the Network

Yeah, that does look good, but I don't think I will end up picking this up. I know it will be fun, but I already own the GC version, and this looks like more of the same. When it goes down in price, I might check it out.

Currently Playing: Mario Kart 7, Mario Kart 8, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Super Smash Bros for Wii U

Predictions:

Super Mario Galaxy will pass Super Mario 64 in total sales CORRECT!

ClaudeLv250 said:
Onyxmeth said:

It looks like with Power Pros being the real gem, The Bigs being the arcadey experience and 2K being the sim, this is a game that won't be able to carve out a real identity for itself outside of folks craving Mario characters in their sports games. Usually Nintendo are not the ones playing catch up on their own consoles, but in this case they are. Not to mention it's being done by Namco. I shudder when I recall their "masterpieces" in the Star Fox and Mario Kart universes. I'll be putting my dough towards Power Pros.

Considering that it's most likely going to outsell all of those games mentioned combined, I don't think it's going to have a problem carving out anything. That and I'm not really sure how Nintendo is playing catch up with a game they're not making. Sounds like another desperate accusation and just one more step towards the OMG H8 U list like Mario Party 8 and Carnival Games before it.

I wasn't talking sales, as you may have guessed, this is the Nintendo forum, not the Sales forum. The accusation was that Super Mario Sluggers is the best 3rd party sports game yet and I tried to debunk that by mentioning it's basically filling a whole in the Wii lineup that doesn't need filling in any regard. This is not Mario Hockey, this is baseball and the Wii has plenty of good choices already that fill what most fans of baseball games want.

My comment on Nintendo playing catch up is that they are not the trend setter in this case. This is not Wii Play, where other publishers follow suit, this is a free standing baseball game coming after other series came already to lay the ground work. Nintendo still calls the shots on this game regardless of whether they are developing it or not. They are still the publisher and it is their characters being represented.

Regarding the "blind hate" argument you're trying to peg on me, let's take a look at Namco's support thus far on Nintendo franchises.

Flash Focus: Vision Training in Minutes a Day=Considered to be a poor version of Brain Training
Mario Kart Arcade Grand Prix 1&2=Unanimously the worst Mario Karts ever
Star Fox Assault=Complete and utter dissapointment after the great Star Fox 64
Donkey Konga 1,2 & 3=Complete and utter dissapointment after Donkey Kong 64
Mario Superstar Baseball=Considered by many to be the second worst of the Mario sports franchises(after Basketball)

Remind me again why I should get excited and not by weary of Namco handling another Nintendo game since they've done such a wonderful job the first 8 times? Oh not to mention that Namco's best Wii support thus far is a take your pick between DragonBallZ and We Ski. Or maybe you prefer Soul Calibur Legends?

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

hmm, looking better and better.

I wasn't talking sales, as you may have guessed, this is the Nintendo forum, not the Sales forum.

That excuse doesn't work on a SALES SITE.

The accusation was that Super Mario Sluggers is the best 3rd party sports game yet and I tried to debunk that by mentioning it's basically filling a whole in the Wii lineup that doesn't need filling in any regard. This is not Mario Hockey, this is baseball and the Wii has plenty of good choices already that fill what most fans of baseball games want.

You can't debunk an accusation that had no basis to begin with. Yushire is known for making fanatical statements like this thread and there's a 99.9% chance that he's never played it. Saying that a game you're trashing but haven't played isn't as good as some other game of the same genre is just screaming to be 'debunked' itself.

Remind me again why I should get excited and not by weary of Namco handling another Nintendo game since they've done such a wonderful job the first 8 times? Oh not to mention that Namco's best Wii support thus far is a take your pick between DragonBallZ and We Ski. Or maybe you prefer Soul Calibur Legends?

No one cares if you're excited or not. Your argumetns are flawed and reek with the same desperation behind your crusades against Deadly Creatures. It's hard to take you seriously when the basis for your argument is that Donkey Konga wasn't like DK64, all of which has no relevance to the game in question.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

1. It works when we are in the Nintendo Forum, in a topic that had nothing to do with Sales to begin with.

2. I agree that Yushire was making a fanatical statement and that's why I debunked it. Should I just have ignored him completely? I also never trashed the game and didn't claim to have played it.

3. Wow. I must be doing pretty good with my Wii loving if I haven't reeked of the desperation of Deadly Creatures. That's gotta be like five months ago. Thanks for keeping score Claude. I'll try to make it to six months next time.

Great way of also dodging my point that Namco takes well respected Nintendo franchises and dissapoints most gamers with their versions of them by trying to just slide in that Donkey Kong comment. Got another one for Flash Focus? Mario Kart Arcade? Star Fox Assault? I apologize for wanting Nintendo to develop their own franchises correctly as opposed to giving them off to third party B-teams. That's my mistake. I should anticipate the mediocre efforts Namco gives to Nintendo franchises as they put their talented teams behind their own published games.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.