By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Entertainment Weekly's Top 50 Games of the Last 25 Years

That list is pretty crappy. It includes a lot of games from the last 3 years, and it clearly includes a meh Final Fantasy title (FF3 on NES is not a great game, although if I understood Japanese it might be better), also TESIV is one of the worst TES games.

This list also does not include many genre defining games, since this is the last 25 years, where are games like Fallout(1 or 2), FF:Tactics(any), Fire Emblem (pick one), Ogre Battle(SNES one), and no Smash Brothers(despite there being 3 mediocre 1on1 fighters).

I could obviously go on all day, but this list is pretty bad.

Around the Network

Where is sonic? How about Mario 64? what the hell is mario gallaxy doing there without mario 64? How about Resident Evil 1?

It gets points for Castlevania SoTN however...

disolitude said:
Where is sonic? How about Mario 64? what the hell is mario gallaxy doing there without mario 64? How about Resident Evil 1?

I should have included these games as an example as well, but I figured my post would end up being a few pages picking out better genre defining games.

largedarryl said:
disolitude said:

I should have included these games as an example as well, but I figured my post would end up being a few pages picking out better genre defining games.

heh, lets make a list of Top 50 games of the last 25 years that are not on ET Weekly list.

Onyxmeth said:
4. Super Mario World-SNES-1991
6. Street Fighter II-SNES-1991
7. Super Mario Kart-SNES-1992
15. Chrono Trigger-SNES-1995
22. Super Metroid-SNES-1994
41. Tecmo Super Bowl-SNES-1991

A lot of SNES games

Around the Network
MANUELF said:
Onyxmeth said:

A lot of SNES games

Well of course.. the SNES was one of the finest console ever.. maybe the finest!

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

disolitude said:
largedarryl said:
disolitude said:

heh, lets make a list of Top 50 games of the last 25 years that are not on ET Weekly list.

I still think we could make a better list of the last 25 years if we couldn't inlcude OOT, Tetris, Goldeneye/Perfect Dark (I can't believe they are both on this list) and Dues Ex.  These games are probably guaranteed Top 50 games on anybodies list, but we could still pick out 50 better games than these guys that only managed to pick out 15 games that belong on a top 50 list.

Not putting super mario bros 3 on the list make it lose all credibility. There are also way to many recent games.

How many cups of darkness have I drank over the years? Even I don't know...

MANUELF said:
Onyxmeth said:

A lot of SNES games

The guy prolly never owned a Genesis and doesn't know Gunstar Heroes and Sonic were just as good as Mario World and Contra 3.

MANUELF said:
Onyxmeth said:

A lot of SNES games

SNES is considered by many to the the golden age of video games.

They didn't include Earthbound though and I think that game deserves a spot on this list.