By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sexually explicit content

I don't really have a problem with it at all... People are way too prudish about gaming and if sex or violence bothers someone, there's always ratings...

Around the Network
Words Of Wisdom said:
Katilian said:
Sex doesn't add to the gaming experience in most cases because it's tacked on.

People who are used to going without something often feel this way when they deal with that something.  They've become so used to not having it that actually having it feels unnecessary.  It's essentially cultural conditioning.  ^_^

In a majority of American movies (since I can't remember the last game I played which specifically had a sex scene), most of the time it doesn't add anything to the story. Sure, some movies it will represent something more, but with Hollywood's "formulamatic" movie making routines, the main charater will have some love interest which at about 2/3rds of the way through the movie will end up in a sex scene.

While I agree it is cultural conditioning, the marketers know how to play on this and just like with any marketing, it become a tool to get more sales, rather than adding to the actual product.

Katilian said:

In a majority of American movies (since I can't remember the last game I played which specifically had a sex scene), most of the time it doesn't add anything to the story. Sure, some movies it will represent something more, but with Hollywood's "formulamatic" movie making routines, the main charater will have some love interest which at about 2/3rds of the way through the movie will end up in a sex scene.

While I agree it is cultural conditioning, the marketers know how to play on this and just like with any marketing, it become a tool to get more sales, rather than adding to the actual product.

Doesn't add anything?  As compared to what?  Watching two guys fight over the radio station in their car?  A random bar brawl?  A shootout with hired goon #23?

You can argue that most movies have a lot of things which aren't astoundingly meaningful so saying sex isn't is kind of silly especially when it at least has the potential to be much more so.  ^_^

Slimebeast said:
@Zenfoldor,

Why do you "disrespect David Jaffe as a developer, commentator, and human being."?

Because he is a bad developer, commentator, and human being.

Anyway, I don't wanna derail this topic. Feel free to create your own topic on the subject, PM me, or post on my wall for an indepth discussion.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

There are some very issues with what i find acceptable in a game, and that entirely depends on what adds to the gameplay or the story.

Now endless bouts of violence rarely add to the story, but I can see how it can add to gameplay. That's where your conflict comes into play.

Sex is much harder to actually get into a game so that it actually benefits gameplay or the story, unless the game is specifically a sex game.

I don't know how well Mass Effect did things, but it's still just as likely that the sex scene could have been gone completely, or been replaced with a simple kiss or something, and the story wouldn't have suffered at all.

That's the only reason I object to sex in video games. I object to over the top gore in video games as well unless it is an actual stylistic benefit to the game like what No More Heroes does. That's why I have absolutely no problem with not having blood show in Twilight Princess or Brawl.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

Around the Network

I used to be into hentai games (dating sims, so I like the idea of explicit scenes. Just make sure bloody minors don't have access to it by requiring age-verification via credit card.

I would really feel like I am getting my money's worth if a game would thoroughly entertain by the gaming aspects and have jackable content.

Yea, we Americans like to border ourselves in a nice little fence and every month we use our vast media outlets to close that fence off from another part of our neighbor, we think it's ok - I mean it's in our constitution to posses firearms to defend ourselves from our government which represents us... That's complete BS by the way.

We Americans are the craziest mofo's on the planet - and all you finger pointers better be careful - unlike any terrorist we have used weapons of mass destruction and we can use it again, why have stress relieving open hearted, mind releasing, thought engaging, productive social encouraging sex - when you could blow up the planet!?

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

Katilian said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
Katilian said:
Sex doesn't add to the gaming experience in most cases because it's tacked on.

People who are used to going without something often feel this way when they deal with that something. They've become so used to not having it that actually having it feels unnecessary. It's essentially cultural conditioning. ^_^

I agree--I mean, what kind of industry do we have now where there's (almost) a sex scene in F*cking HULK!

In an ideal world, sex would have a place in games just as much as violence does, as long as it's done tastefully or in a way that makes sense.  As it stands now, it's atrocious and would hurt the gaming world.

I liked the sex scene in Fahrenheit, for example.  Yes, it was hot, but there was a reason for it.  You don't just 'get it'--you have to spend a long scene slow-dancing with Tyler's girlfriend, and then when it happens, you can really tell how they feel about each other.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

I really don't understand why there isn't sex on games such as GTA. Well, I know about the hot coffee storm but I find it just stupid. I also find it stupid when sex scenes in movies doesn't involve actual nudity. In a lot of movies you will not see the actual sex scene but the after scene in which they both lie naked in bed under the sheets. Then the girl sits down and make sure to cover her breasts with the sheets. It doesn't make sense.

I really don't understand why isnt there more sexual content in movies when it would actually make the movie seem more real.

Oh and the most pointless thing in movies in my opinion are car chases. They never bring anything to the story, are long and usually boring.

How many cups of darkness have I drank over the years? Even I don't know...

I'd be okay with it if it actually added something to the game, but I have yet to see that happen. Considering this is an industry in which women are almost exclusively relegated to the Sex Object camp, I won't get my hopes up.