By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Ruh-roh: Simon Carless of Gamasutra/Game Set Watch analyzes VGChartz...

fkusumot said:

Here is more fun.

lol, they're getting paranoid. They think the enemy is among them.

Originally Posted by dialmydrive:
apujanata, I noticed your name on http://radar.oreilly.com/archives/20...***-vs-np.html

Then I looked at your posts. You seem to respond mostly to sales posts or posts that are relevant to that other site. Are you a (nameless site) mole? It appears that way to me.
You must be joking. I've known apujanata for about 5 years, first at GameFAQs and then here. He is just interested in game sales generally and you're jumping to insane conclusions.

Around the Network

I love this site, and I think the people here -generally- do a great job.

However, I totally agree with this article. It isn't all negative, it's just very critical, which is a good thing.

They question some methods, and those methods should be questionable. The MGS4 example is great, it's an example of where VGChartz dropped the ball. But hey, we all make mistakes.

Why try to cover it up? A little more transparency wouldn't hurt. ioi says numbers don't get adjusted frequently. This is simply not true, the hardware numbers, even from over a month ago, get adjusted weekly. This is not a big problem in itself: it's good that numbers get adjusted. Just don't try to cover it up, it makes the site look suspicious.

I love this site, but there is room for a lot of improvement. Don't hate on these kind of articles, learn from them.

I've got no problem with the article. Seems like a fair judgment at this point.

one of best thread....ever.

Poor PS3 Sales Means Smaller Losses

"Actually, because the number of units sold was not as high as we hoped, the loss was better than our original expectation," Quotes from Sony’s CFO Nobuyuki Oneda.

fkusumot said:

Here is more fun.

Everyone should check this.

Poor PS3 Sales Means Smaller Losses

"Actually, because the number of units sold was not as high as we hoped, the loss was better than our original expectation," Quotes from Sony’s CFO Nobuyuki Oneda.

Around the Network
ioi said:
The problem with the article isn't what he is saying - it is the way in which he is saying it and the way in which he has selectively chosen certain information both from a confidential email conversation with myself and from pieces of sales data on the site to paint a bad picture of the site.

We all know that data gets adjusted from time to time for a variety of reasons. We all know that vgchartz is a team of amateur enthusiasts doing their best (whilst doing paid jobs / college courses) to provide a free source of estimated sales data. Picking a couple of (poor) examples to show that we don't always agree 100% with NPD is hardly new. We have a lot of trouble tracking the sales of casual titles as do NPD actually - back to the Walmart thing again and just how you estimate for such a huge chunk of the market.

But anyway, personally I am annoyed that this guy approached me for an interview under the understanding of writing an article about vgchartz and ends up using it to unfairly bash the site and twist things around.

Pretty unprofessional if you ask me.

On the internet, nothing is confidential; right Boss. You should know that.

ioi said:
Evidently so, but when a writer from a major site approaches you then you tend to accept their word on things.

On topic, some of you are saying that there are some reasonable criticisms in the article which we can use to improve vgchartz. Now that if a fair point if it is how some of you feel so give me a little more detail on what it is you think we should do differently and I can either explain why it is unrealistic or we can work on ways to improve what we are doing.

ioi

I think that it is fairly clear that a lot of people don't seem to understand what this site is about. Even, apparently, "journalists" and a lot of posters here on these forums. I can scream it all day but they ain't gonna read it.

So, since I have your ear, and since I feel doing so could prevent a significant amount of criticism from people who simply "don't understand.(That's my trying not to get banned word for them.)":

You might wanna put a mission statement clearly on the front page saying that the site is attempting to bring together the best possible estimates for worldwide console and videogame sales in the world, with that said, keep in mind these numbers are estimates and shouldn't be advertised as facts.

Also, that Gamasutra guy could use that go to hell email I mentioned earlier.

Those are my two suggestions, lol.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

You know what though ioi, I wouldn't take a single darn suggestion if I were you, because they would be based off this BS article, and I wouldn't give that dude the satisfaction of knowing he changed anything.

It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

ioi said:
The problem with the article isn't what he is saying - it is the way in which he is saying it and the way in which he has selectively chosen certain information both from a confidential email conversation with myself and from pieces of sales data on the site to paint a bad picture of the site.

We all know that data gets adjusted from time to time for a variety of reasons. We all know that vgchartz is a team of amateur enthusiasts doing their best (whilst doing paid jobs / college courses) to provide a free source of estimated sales data. Picking a couple of (poor) examples to show that we don't always agree 100% with NPD is hardly new. We have a lot of trouble tracking the sales of casual titles as do NPD actually - back to the Walmart thing again and just how you estimate for such a huge chunk of the market.

But anyway, personally I am annoyed that this guy approached me for an interview under the understanding of writing an article about vgchartz and ends up using it to unfairly bash the site and twist things around.

Pretty unprofessional if you ask me.

Hey Boss, it seems like Iron Man is the new Straw Man argument against VGchartz.

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."

I just think the whole MGS4 first day thing shouldn't have been done, especially (according to the article), if you didn't have any EU data to base it off of.

Because of that article, people were running around saying that MGS4 only sold 100k on day 2, and that it wouldn't sell that much, based off of how much it fell from first day sales, etc.

I would have rater waited until Monday/Tues/Wed, when all the data was in to draw a conclusion of the games sales.