By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Average Gamer dosent care for JRPG's?

jrpg`s are just for hardcore gamers, only final fantasy series has been a huge hit worldwide

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Around the Network
tiachopvutru said:

My gripe about RPGs (although I have only played JRPGs so far) is the battle system. For some reason, it's the most boring part of all the JRPGs so far for me. Usually, I find myself being able to win through using just certain skills, and not worrying at all about the rest, or simply use the rest very little.

That said though, I don't consider myself knowing how to play JRPGs at all, and I should probably have to see a JRPG fan playing the games to understand the fun of the genre.

Currently, I'm playing Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES. Everything has been fantastic except for... the battle, which is considerably better than other JRPGs' I have played.

Unless I somehow change, probably the only JRPG I will be able to get into is action-based. I have only played two of that kind. Children of Mana on NDS and Kingdom Heart 2 on the PS2. The latter is a lot better than the former, although both got repetitive after a while. Furthermore, the stories in both are pretty average (the former's story sucks, and in Kingdom Heart 2, I didn't find Disney stories particularly interesting). That said, though, Kingdom Heart 2 was pretty fun. But, if I have to sum up, no JRPGs have left a big impression on me yet.

Mana games have never had particulary interesting stories.  Kingdom Hearts II has a great story IMO.

mrstickball said:
There are 2 crowds that like RPGs:

Japanese core gamers (for JRPGs)
Western PC gamers

Outside of that, they're not very common, or casual. I had a very small group of friends that enjoyed JRPGs where I lived (SNES days), and was very rare to converse with people that liked them.

Likewise, PC RPGs were the same way for me - very niche, and not everyone played. With the advent of the internet, hardcore groups (such as RPG gamers) tend to congregate more than you'd think in real life. Fact is, I don't meet a ton of gamers that go ga-ga over Oblivion, Mass Effect, or a JRPG like Star Ocean, or Tales.

Almost. Today there are 3 hardcore RPG groups:

Japanese core gamers - JRPGs.
Western PC gamers -  WRPGs.
Continental Asian PC gamers - MMORPGs.

The first 2 groups are sort of stale: the japanese crowd can only increase to a point, so the sales are barely doing better than 5 years ago; While part of the western PC crowd has been taken away by MMORPGs, so WRPGs are in the same situation as JRPGs though the western crowd itself has increased (if we take MMORPGs into account).

The third group just exploded! With Lineage I & II and ultimately World of Warcraft, they easily taken themselves as the biggest hardcore RPG crowd out of the 3. We can argue that the MMORPG crowd is more global but there is no denying that the bulk of MMORPG lovers is in Continental Asia (China + South Korea = mind-blown)

Skeeuk said:
jrpg`s are just for hardcore gamers, only final fantasy series has been a huge hit worldwide

Pokemon say hi

MontanaHatchet said:
psrock said:
MontanaHatchet said:
In Japan and other parts of Asia, RPGs are common place and are very popular. In the rest of the world, not so much. Microsoft realizes that their main weakness is Japan so they're trying to bring games to the 360 that will boost sales in the region (not realizing that they have no chance of that ever succeeding and should just let the games be on a console that people actually own).

kind of harsh, dont you think. Let them dream at least.

Meh, games should be where the most people can play them. They shouldn't be thought of as business assets.

Business assets are exactly what they are, though. Tat's the entire point of platform-exclusive games.

If Japan as a nation doesn't adopt the 360, they're making a conscious decision to not play the games that are on it, as well. Microsoft should not waste the potential to make money (especially in the RPG-buying market outside of Japan) just so people can more easily justify not buying their products. That is immensely counter-intuitive.

Around the Network

i find most RPGs dull and i get bored of them quickly, the only RPG ive ever finished is Fable

Turn-based, non-strategic RPGs are incredibly boring.

In Memoriam RVW Jr.

SSBB Friend Code = 5455-9050-8670 (PM me if you add so I can add you!) 

Tetris Party Friend Code = 116129046416 (ditto)

Soriku said:
Eh...I consider myself a hardcore gamer and play JRPGs mostly. I think people need tp sway a little bit away from FF and Pokemon to actually play different RPGs like Tales of, Suikoden, etc.

If you want a fast, actiony JRPG try Kingdom Hearts. Heck, even try Tales of. They're not turn based or slow.

The reason why many JRPGs don't do well in the US is because Namco and Konami are too lazy to properly market them.

Star Ocean is another good JRPG series people should try if you want a JRPG with a fast paced battle system

depends some of my hardcore pokemon friends didn't even know it was a JRPG

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Sky Render said:
You can do a Japanese-style RPG in a fashion that could appeal to a wider array of people. The main points are to simplify the gameplay enough that it doesn't scare off potential players (but remains deep enough to satisfy the less picky of the dedicated RPG fanbase), format the story progression into relatively short missions or chapters, and give the game an appropriate advertising campaign to reach out to other audiences. I can think of a few JRPGs that did the first two (Legend of Mana, Final Fantasy X-2), many that at least do one of the three, but none that have done all three points.

It´s extremely difficult to find a balance between average gamer and core gamer. There will always be a big portion from each side that will be unsatisfied by the RPG that tries this. What developers should aim is make RPG fans happy, invest in that and try to correctly promote their games. As for the average gamer, honestly, who cares? It´s not their type of game, there are so many other genres more appropriate for them.  I mean, the average tabletop gamer doesn´t play D&D and other P&P RPGs. RPGs won´t die off because they can´t appeal to a wide audience, there will always be a big userbase of RPG fans that will play them.