By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is Insomniac Games a good gaming company?

Insomniac is one of the most technically gifted developers in the industry and they put out titles are are consistently of the highest quality. The best ever? Hardly the best developer ever was Dreamcast era Sega. At that point in time Sega made top notch platfomers, fighting games, racing games, RPGs, action titles, etc. etc.

Around the Network

*looks at username*
*looks at avatar*
*looks at game collection*
Yes. I'd say they are. and yes, I am a huge fan of them. =)

First let's separate the idea of a company (as in what's it like to work there, how ) from their output (are their games good? Are they a reliable developer?).

As a company Insomniac would seem to be absolutely in the top tier in their industry. Awards for employee satisfaction and by all accounts a great place to work - having watched a few of the recent RFOM2 promotional interviews they seem nice and easy going : no massive egos and rock star posturing from those guys.

As a games developer they're pretty top rate too in terms of quality of product and delivery. I don't think I can recall an Insomniac title being delayed ever - hell they're about to release their third PS3 game when others have just launched their first. Even today RFOM remains a solid 88% or so FPS IMHO vs fare like Turok and Haze that is fun to play through.

But like Rocketpig while I think evey game of their's I've seen - which is essentially most since first R&C onwards - has been very good...

I think they've never quite been absolutely amazing (although Dr Nefarious and his butler are the best comic bad guys ever in probably the best R&C to date I reckon).

Still, If I was a console manufacturer I'd rather have a company like Insomniac pump out quality, strong selling titles like it does than a company that only produces a few titles every two or three years or delivers games of uneven quality.

Taking everything together they're not a good gaming company - they're a great gaming company!

I almost wish they'd go multi-platform so others could enjoy their games which are always fun and well made.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

No they suck, i mean Resistance fall of man in 2006, followed by Ratchet and Clank in 2007, and Resistance 2 in 2008.

horrible company. Terrible games. I mean resistance only got an 86 for a brand new IP, and Ratchet scored a low 88.

/sarcasm of course

But back on topic, they're an amazing company, and will only get bigger and better.

@OP; No they're not, they are frickin' brilliant!

Around the Network

Is a good company nothing more.

Darc Requiem said:
Insomniac is one of the most technically gifted developers in the industry and they put out titles are are consistently of the highest quality. The best ever? Hardly the best developer ever was Dreamcast era Sega. At that point in time Sega made top notch platfomers, fighting games, racing games, RPGs, action titles, etc. etc.

I agree with this. Sega was damn good.

They're good, but not the best.

My Games of 2011:

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Super Mario 3D Land

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

ssj12 said:
Squilliam said:
Valve >>> Insomniac.

But still they are a good company.

for game quality YES as the way the value their employees no Insomniac is better. Insomniac is like the Google of the game industry for their employees.

Google isn't as good as they lead people to believe. I feel that you're insulting insomniac by comparing them to Google.

AFAIK Valve employees are quite happy too.

Tease.

waron said:

i don't think so. insomniac games is making only ratchet and resistance games for consoles(they didn't make any handheld game) so i don't think we can say much about them. you can argue with me but ratchet games are really similar to each other and first resistance was a mediocre game. so until they will make a game that isn't another ratchet or resistance we can't say much about them cause we don't know if they could make good game that doesn't have ratchet and clank on it's cover.

they made only:
* Ratchet 6 - PS3 (Unknown release, most likely in 2009, production most likely starting soon or the beginning of next year)
* Resistance 2 — PS3 (2008, in development)
* Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction — PS3 (2007)
* Resistance: Fall of Man — PS3 (2006)
* Ratchet: Deadlocked — PS2 (2005)
* Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal — PS2 (2004)
* Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando — PS2 (2003)
* Ratchet & Clank — PS2 (2002)
* Spyro: Year of the Dragon — PS1 (2000)
* Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage! — PS1 (1999)
* Spyro the Dragon — PS1 (1998)
* Disruptor — PS1 (1996)

Ratchet and Clank: Size Matters and Secret Agent Clank say Hi!

OT: Yes I really do like Insomniac Games and the Company.

SSBB: 1977-0005-2980 (JOEY) MKWii: 4382-2877-5902 (Joeykanga)
Wii:4027-0084-9432-1532             PM me if you add me.
Tag courtesy of fkusumot: Joeykanga - "Just post something once, don't ruin the thread"