By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is Insomniac Games a good gaming company?

Insomniac is one of my favorite companys because of the Ratchet & Clank series.

Around the Network
DMeisterJ said:
@ Waron

Fail?

I mean, you seriously couldn't expect a serious response to that failpost.

i just think that a really good or even great developer should be capable of making great titles from different categories not just one.

rare, nintendo, capcom,  grasshopper manufacture - those are good and great developers but teams like insomniac are only good and great developers in specific kind of games.

Insomniac makes great games, therefore they are great. I've never heard anyone complain about the original Spyro's. To see the difference between good and bad developers, see Spyro after Insomniac. Resistance was above average. And I believe Resistance was a new genre for them, so they are pretty versatile to me. They have style in their games, and they make them quickly.

waron said:
DMeisterJ said:
@ Waron

Fail?

I mean, you seriously couldn't expect a serious response to that failpost.

i just think that a really good or even great developer should be capable of making great titles from different categories not just one.

rare, nintendo, capcom,  grasshopper manufacture - those are good and great developers but teams like insomniac are only good and great developers in specific kind of games.

Well, if you want a serious answer, all of those guys have much larger development teams all with people of different expertise. Do you really think the same guys that made Lost planet made Okami? The fact that one team has the agility to go from a game like Ratchet and Clank to game like Resistance with the result they had is quite impressive. Remember, those guys are a small independent studio. They choose to make games for the PS3.

I prefer the Sly Cooper games over the Ratchet games.

That being said - yeah, they're good. Not great, but not bad either.

Warning: The preceding message may or may not have included sarcasm, cynicism, irony, full stops, commas, slashes, words, letters, sentences, lines, quotes,  flaeed  gramar, cryptic metaphors or other means of annoying communication. Viewer discretion is/was strongly advised.

Around the Network

Insomniac reminds me of BioWare... A very good developer that never pushes their work to that "OMG TEH WIN!!!11" level. Very solid games but they're often lacking the extra umph to really make it great.

IMO, BioWare is a little bit better developer and I like their games more but Insomniac is definitely more rounded and versatile.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

They are not as good as Naughty Dog, but they are still amazing.

wow

i actually understand what Waron means.
What he's trying to say (and this isnt my opinion at all no offense) is that
to call them one of the top dogs of the gaming industry, they have to do
MORE than just R&C and RFoM. A good company like this is Nintendo or
Capcom, who usually do good games no matter the genre.

So even if Racthet and Resistence were literally the
best games ever made, calling the devs the best on
the planet, is somewhat... trivial

but yeah, just thought i should try to clarify what he
meant and stuff :P

OP: Ratchet is such a great game btw i love it!!

Proud member of the Fierce Fox Force.

"I strike spurs onto my Wii controller. And against Sony and MS I fling myself,
unvanquished and unyielding. 'O Wii!!!"

-The Nintendian Philosophy

Somebody doesn't know the differance between developers and publishers.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

aiden.cronus said:
wow

i actually understand what Waron means.
What he's trying to say (and this isnt my opinion at all no offense) is that
to call them one of the top dogs of the gaming industry, they have to do
MORE than just R&C and RFoM. A good company like this is Nintendo or
Capcom, who usually do good games no matter the genre.

So even if Racthet and Resistence were literally the
best games ever made, calling the devs the best on
the planet, is somewhat... trivial

but yeah, just thought i should try to clarify what he
meant and stuff :P

OP: Ratchet is such a great game btw i love it!!

Not according to PC fans, apperently Valve only rides on the HALF LIFE series and they are already the top developers..

mM